Dallas Makerspace Show and Tell - January 2017

Happy New Year!!! :tada: :tada: :tada:

Post a picture and description of anything you are working on this month at the 'Space here!

It can be anything from a small craft project to a large CNC router project to building a table to 3D printing to a science experiment and so much more. There are lots of people doing cool things at DMS all the time, but most of us don’t get to see it. Post it here and share the interesting things you are doing this month!

Posting here helps not only promote Dallas Makerspace, but could inspire others to make something. It will also help PR post a monthly look at what can be done here on a blog post (with attribution to each maker of course).

2 Likes

My First Project of 2017 at Dallas Makerspace!

(…just experimenting with different colors and fabrics… :smile:)

#DallasMakerspace #DyeSublimation #MAKE2017Great #HappyNewYear

edit to add: I obviously need to work on placement a little bit (lol?); but, overall I was impressed with how well some colors “pop” on the gray colored microfiber cloth! (I’d still recommend white fabric for most situations; but, it’s neat to see how the gray looks with different colors and all… :smiley: )

16 Likes

Great use of the Dye Sub equipment. Those look really nice.

2 Likes

Thanks @CaryF300! I am really enjoying using the Dye Sub equipment! I bought two blank mugs from @chuckcage & @Audra just before Christmas (thanks again, y’all!) and made gifts for my daughter and son in law for Christmas, and I also used the equipment to put my grandson’s names on the pillow cases that went with the body pillows that I bought them for Christmas. They all loved their personalized gifts! :revolving_hearts:

4 Likes

I made a laser engraved gift tag for the baby rattle I made last week.

13 Likes

My son and I turned a few Manhattan pens today including our first acrylic. I like the way they turned out. I bought the cocobolo from Rockler. It was an ugly piece of wood until I cut into it. I think it has some of the most interesting character of any cocobolo I’ve seen.

I also turned a little bowl from a piece of silver maple I found in the woodshop stash behind the table saws. It has not yet had a finish applied. I’ll probably finish it with Tung oil.

All in all fun start to 2017. I hope everyone had a nice New Year holiday.

17 Likes

I made a Leatherworking “Petal lifter” designed to add additional 3d relief to tooled leather flowers and leaves.

The handle turned from a cedar branch trimmings and flattened on one side to keep it from rolling and to help align the flat on the tool when held.

Shaft is from a 1/4" x 5" bolt (will probably upgrade to tool steel on the next one I make).

10 Likes

Took @Webdevel’s Field Notes class, had to bail early, finished stitching at home. This is my field notes cover. There are many like it but this one is mine.

p.s., that’s a several-hundred-dollar pen, since it was a freebie from the parents’ association at my kid’s university.

8 Likes

That looks so great! Love it!

Thanks! I had a good teacher!

Made a very quick rack out of scrap to store the magnetic brake components.

Others not quite seen is, added hydraulic fluid to the coldsaw. Also fixed the Thunderlaser air solenoid since the smoke let out of the old one.

14 Likes

Head to toe, casted latex mask and full outfit. Star Trek Gorn, the original series

22 Likes

Wow!! That is rad! I can hear the Kirk-Gorn fighting theme music in my head now.

3 Likes

Auto now has a 10 ton hydraulic ram with spreader for anyone to use

7 Likes

Indeed a very handy tool.

Recently bought a “new to me” truck which I’m slowly restoring back to stock condition. Replaced the fandangled cold-air intake with the stock air box, and discovered I was missing a mounting bracket.

Cut a plate with the PlasmaCAM, drilled some holes, and now I have a mounting plate. I might try using the new break to create the step down that the original one has (after getting trained up on that), but for now this works great.

Way cheaper than the $100 one from GM Parts…

9 Likes

Using @apparently_weird and @bitta’s clever fieldnotes pattern from the leather-n-lasers class as a starting point, I put together a version of my own with some laser- etched art and a longer/thicker pen holder.

The dye is still a little wet in these photos.

16 Likes

Had a weekend full of fun projects, mostly all complete too.

Wooden ring, made from some veneer (unknown wood)

Walnut cutting board

Also made a plaque for a local school

And finally my entry for the kiddos pinewood derby in aa couple weeks :slight_smile:

Yeah, busy weekend!

15 Likes

Wow, James Polser was my neighbor in Flower Mound/Lewisville. Very interesting family along with Huffines family.

Nice looking projects!

2 Likes

Is that plaque MDF routed on our MultiCAM?
I guess their mascot is a Polar Bear (schools, once upon a time, made this sort of thing VEEERY evident, but I am unable to confirm this from their web page)?

1 Like