Dallas Makerspace Show and Tell - February 2017

7 Likes

Unloading some enameled pieces from the kiln.

7 Likes

A view of folks working on their pieces :wink:

6 Likes

I love that enameling!

Pieces ready to be loaded in the kiln to fire :wink:

7 Likes

Folks busy getting their enameled pieces ready to fire :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Science/Biology Group:
DNA Plasmid Transfection class, succesful Genetic Engineering of Ecoli
Successful germination of Tobacco seeds in plant tissue culture, still working on Orchid Tissue culture, not an easy one.

12 Likes

I built a coffee table for some friends. They wanted to stain and paint it so this is just unfinished poplar.

Had some help glueing and sanding from @MellissaRhodes

23 Likes

DMS Weather Project

Thanks to all the wonderful people who made this project possible.

We are now broadcasting on Wunderground. The goals of this project is to invite other members to install their own sensors, collect data for science experiments and to assist others in building their own personal weather stations.

If you are ever at the space get on the DMS MEMBER network and type this IP Address: 192.168.201.194 into your web browser to check out our own weather page.

14 Likes

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: DMS Weather Project: Build Log

Made my own Maker Stamp for leatherworking. Many thanks to @Webdevel for sharing his experiences to help me dial in the laser settings more quickly.

Other than having to rebuild my Inkscape image from scratch in ADobe Illustrator and forgetting to mirrror the stamp before cutting on my first iteration, things went pretty smoothly. I used a Dremel to chamfer the outer edges so that the rim of the rod wouldn’t mar the surface of the leather when stamping.

Worked ok when hit with a hammer. Worked even better using a vice as a press.

19 Likes

That turned out great!

1 Like

YES!!! Looks great!!! I bet if you wait a bit after wetting the leathers so the inside is moist but the outside is not as much, the impression will be better.

So far ahead of my pay grade. Gosh that’s impressive.

Sounds like that “patience” thing I keep hearing about. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

5 posts were merged into an existing topic: How to Make a Maker Stamp for Leatherworking

Made 8 foot trailer ramps.

16 Likes

Very nice! Are those welded steel frame with screwed on wood treads? Is that a special paint to create that texture?

Yes, got some 1/4 steel and pieced it together. Took a DMS welding and wood shop classes. Wood paint is textured deck paint for more tire traction.

9 Likes

This is my first thing on the vinyl cutter. I think I started too big, it took four tries to get it applied without folding up and crap.

18 Likes