Dallas Makerspace Show and Tell - February 2017

Post a picture and description of anything you are working on this month at the 'Space here!

It can be anything from a small craft project to a large CNC router project to building a table to 3D printing to a science experiment and so much more. There are lots of people doing cool things at DMS all the time, but most of us don’t get to see it. Post it here and share the interesting things you are doing at Dallas Makerspace this month!

Posting here helps not only promote Dallas Makerspace, but could inspire others to make something. It will also help PR post a monthly look at what can be done here on a blog post (with attribution to each maker of course).

:bulb: NOTE: Please try to include the following on each post, to help make for richer blog content!

• a decent QUALITY photo
  • a notation about WHAT you’ve made
  • WHO you are (for attribution on the blog)
  • HOW you’ve made it
  • and WHY
5 Likes

A long time in the making (prusa was backordered longer than expected), but finally making progress on printing socket organizers for replacement socket sets for automotive.

After a few iterations now its just a matter of printing out the 24 holders, the design is all in openscad so its completly parametric. The goal being to make it so that all sockets are oriented vertically in drawer, making it more obvious if there any sets missing a socket

Gist of script to generate socket organizer

18 Likes

Brilliant!

Brandon, Can you share the STL files so we can make a set of these for ourselves?

Would be best to download OpenSCAD (its free) and paste in the script and export STL or AMF from there, just hit F6 to render (will take a few minutes) then Export from file menu. I measured the diameter of the sockets and added 3% for the diameters in mm listed in the file. Anything other than the specific Tekton brand sets I ordered would have different sizes. The SAE labels are unicode to use the super and sub script numbers to reduce width of labels.

3 Likes

Awesome! Very nice work! :slight_smile:

I had a little time to spare at the space and fabricated a homemade palet buster bar for dismantling palets.

I like to paint stuff, so I’ll prime and paint it black at home.

6 Likes

I play in a monthly Call of Cthulhu based Tabletop RPG and I like making props we can use in game. I’m making a set of small books that go with our current storyline.

This one is the Liber Ivonis. It’s the same size as a field notes book. Tooled leather, fudge brown dye, and saddle stitched with 1mm tiger thread. I don’t do much tooling so there’s not a lot of detail in this one, but it was a fun one to make.

12 Likes

Very nice. Props make all the difference. Adds another level of realism.

1 Like

Not really making but I added a Wi-Fi dongle last night to the PlasmaCam PC. So now you can access the member drive from it. This is what I used.

14 Likes

OpenSCAD Is already installed on the 3DFab PCs if you just wanted to use it there.

@Brandon_Green have you considered sharing these on thingiverse.com ? They’d get wider exposure there. You could even make them usable through their Customizer (which is built on top of OpenSCAD) to make a user-friendly, customizable version.

3 Likes

May you start many epic conflagrations with said pallet buster.

3 Likes

We used the Metaza impact engraver to make a tag for our dog. He already has a contact tag so that, in the event he gets out of our yard, people can contact us by phone. This tag will allow them to make sure they know what we look like so that our dog doesn’t get given to the wrong person. Mostly, though, we made it to be fun.

10 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: New Hydraulic Lift Table Cart

After making some adjustments with the impact force, I was able to get a more clear engraving of my name on a stainless steel pen using our Metaza Metal Engraver the other day after the February 5th Metaza Impact Engraving 101 class! :smiley:

9 Likes

Ok, I didn’t make this stamp at DMS but I just like the message it sends. CHEERS!

5 Likes

Another Metaza project! Thanks Lisa for putting the class on.

Engraved Zippo lighter.

11 Likes

EXACTLY what I was hoping to try with the Metaza

That turned out great!!! :smiley:

1 Like

This pic incorporates several projects, the spindle, the blue bamboo thread, and the crocheted pouch under the brown dish. And of course, all done under close cat supervision :slight_smile:

(Longer blather for those that care):

The spindle is prototype 2.0 for a support spindle class I’ll be teaching the end of this month for Fibers/CA. I’ve been messing with cheap easy parts to hack into cheap easy-assemble minimum viable product so that folks can try it cheap, take home and practice, then later upgrade to nice spindle if they want. Although actually, I’m liking this one quite a bit. I see some pyrography or paint in its future. Maybe both. :slight_smile: I altered the physics of its spin in the way I sanded the angle of the top end of the spindle, and placement of the whorl, and it works a lot better now.

Then obviously, I’ve been test-driving the spindle. My current spinning project, the blue thread, is bamboo. It’s spun from a clouded prep (poofed up using handcards). This spindle right now represents many hours/evenings of spinning so far (fine thread is slow-going). This is a practice project while I’m making friends with spinning bamboo on this type of tool versus spinning wheel, deciding which tool I’ll use for a larger project, same type of fiber. So I’m leaning towards the support spindle. Enjoyable and portable. Slower than the wheel, but easier to get very very fine thread. I plan on weaving with it. So the blue is practice for the spinning tool and technique, and later working out the weaving. The actual project I’m sampling for is bamboo fiber dyed in Monet’s Waterlilies colors that I want to spin into thread to weave a long narrow curtain for the tall skinny window beside my front door.

The blue crocheted thingy under the brown dish the spindle tip rests in during spinning, that I crocheted out of some wool/silk handspun extra I had laying around because I wanted a pouch that I could store the dish in to protect in so it didn’t get banged around in the storage box (12" plastic pencil/school box) I keep my project in when not in use. Plus it needed to double as the cloth I use under the dish spinning (I keep something narrow and long so I can roll up one edge and rest the dish at a shallow angle while spinning so the spindle tip is kind of in the corner edge of the dish, not scooting all over). So I designed the pouch big enough for the dish, but and extra long flap, so plenty of room to roll and adjust its function as needed.

6 Likes