Dallas Makerspace Show and Tell - December 2017

Finished wiring up the sticks tonight in Electronics. They are plugged into a box that has DB-15 connectors on it. I still have to put speaker, test, and service switches on the front of the box and then monitor, power, and speaker connections on the back before wiring up the JAMMA harness.

When finished, it will hook up to one of the Sony PVM monitors I picked up last week and it will be used to test arcade game boards when I’m at trade shows.

The sticks cost me $5 each at the First Saturday sale in downtown Dallas. They were missing the battery cover and I had to modify them by removing the wireless transmitter, drilling a hole, and running wires to hook everything up.

7 Likes

After the Fiberfrolic last night, I hung around and made an over-engineered leather case for my little Gingher embroidery scissors, including fancy-schmancy closure. They’re expensive and delicate and a case has been long overdue.

The case was pretty straight forward, but I needed a closure to be sure they wouldn’t fall out in my bag.

The over-engineering came in on the closure. Didn’t leave room at top for button/snap, so what I wound up doing was cutting a scrap strip of leather, then passed through slits at top. Worked good, but didn’t like the way it lay. Well, then wrap it. Cool look, but wouldn’t stay put. So more slits on the side for anchor. Perfect. It actually holds real well, and I like the funky look.

I’ve taken various leather classes, but this is the first little baby independent leather project I’ve done. So I’m kinda tickled with how it turned out.

And thanks bunches to @HankCowdog for all his help and suggestions last night and to @Webdevel for the several great classes of his that I’ve taken :slight_smile:

12 Likes

Black clay burnished/ textured, no glaze, led light fixture. I’m lovin this Georgia Clay, :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

20 Likes

Amazing!!! It’s awesome to see the finished pictures.

1 Like

I’ve been waiting for the ring and it’s awesome! That clay is intense and the texture effect was such a cool choice.

Results of tonight’s leather dying class.

14 Likes

Would you be willing to elaborate a bit on what we’re looking at? Coasters? Round tuits?
No matter what they are, they look like they were fun to make!

They’re called leather rounders, usually used for tooling practice, but they can be used to learn dyeing as well! After theyve been tooled and dyed they can be used as coasters, or decoration, or just to show off your skills.

3 Likes

These are “rounders” which can be used as coasters or for anything, really. They make good samplers for tooling, dyeing, etc. they are (I think) 4” diameter.

3 Likes

My 2nd laser cut box. Gift for niece in which to hold treasurers. 3-in cube. Came up with a lid that is flush to the edges of the box and snaps in place. The cutouts are a commercial stencil file.

17 Likes

I just bought a micro bird a couple of weekends ago. Drove it from Crescent, OK and drive great. It was converted into a party bus by the previous owner. I unscrewed some of the seating and found a random mound of dog food. Who builds around a mound of dog food? I don’t get it. Also, 4 dead mice. Ah, the glamour. Will be converting it into an RV!

9 Likes

Going to speculate that was a temporary ‘feature’ during build time that got covered over in a fit of short-sighted expedience during crunch time.

2 Likes

Or that the aforementioned mice were stashing it there.

5 Likes

If so, those would be some really forward-thinking mice.

4 Likes

They were so close to being well fed, but were found on the other side of the bus. RIP

Rats definitely hoard food, I imagine mice would too. Somebody likely poisoned the mice, so they died without getting to eat the food. Or they died of some terrible contagious disease.

1 Like

Stephen Kings “The Plague RV”.

I’ve been meaning to post this. I took the metal etching class a few weeks ago, taught by Amanda @MrsMoose, and I think it’s gonna be perfect for pursuing some project ideas I’ve got.

In the class, we used the jewelry disk cutter to cut out copper disks, applied an acid resist (one was on blue laser-printed pnp paper, and one was using free-hand oil-based paint marker). Let the pieces hang out in the acid for awhile, clean off.

So then I have neat little disks. I could have punched a hole and made into jewelry. Don’t need more jewelry. Ahem.

Instead, I took them home, used my metal hole-punchy thingy (technical term, lower right of pic, best gadget ever), then banged them in a dapping block to dome them, gave a little hint of color with a wash of alcohol inks to bring out some of the designs, sealed everything with some renaissance wax.

Voila. Buttons.
And a fun new obsession.

20 Likes

2 Likes

I made some new laser height pucks for the new lasers at DMS.

At the request of @merissa I made them 6mm high. I also included a 5.5 mm height (like the old puck) for those using thinner materials.

Now one can adjust the focus 1/2 mm higher by using the thicker side of the puck.

I semi-successfully highlighted the thickness using a bit of acrylic paint.

12 Likes