Dallas Makerspace Show and Tell - December 2017

My bowl from the awesome ceramics class today.

17 Likes

Bijalā€™s work on the laser. Wonderful idea for Christmas.

12 Likes

nice job!!!

Thanks!! Lots of luck and a great teacher. I am praying that it doesnā€™t crack after all that work. :slight_smile:

Dry it very slowly. I sometimes wait 3 weeks to fire. usually i wait 1 week in plastic, one week in paper, 1 week in open air. but right now at Christmas everything is ughā€¦ hurry up and dry!

3 Likes

I havenā€™t been a member quite long enough to have any work made up there fired, but I unloaded a kiln of cups (and a few jars) at school today. Iā€™m also a chandler, so about half of these will have [candles] and half of those are gifts.

16 Likes

Nice work toussaintpeg! I look forward to seeing your future work at DMS

3 Likes

What is the name of the group? Can I buy one from them to support them and you? I journal in the mornings and this would be perfect.

[email protected]

Yay potters! Love them!!!

1 Like

Iā€™ve been working on a slab table at the space, and I recently finished up. Really happy with how it turned out!

16 Likes

Thatā€™s awesome, what did you finish it with?

I used 4 coats of semi gloss Arm-R-Seal applied with foam brushes. Lightly sanded with high grit (800?) between coats.

1 Like

They are not available for sale.

We gave them out as awards at our annual party. The files to laser cut your own are on the Members drive.

MembersDrive\Mike Churchill\Leatherworking\Fieldnotes Notebook Cover\

The file is ā€œ3 up Field_Notesā€¦aiā€

And is designed to cut three notebook covers from one piece of leather. Iā€™d recommend scaling it up 2-3% to make insertion of the notebooks at bit easier: as currently designed, the Fieldnotes were a very tight fit.

Iā€™ll be at DMS Thursday night if you want help in cutting your own - just let me know via PM if youā€™re interested.

8 Likes

Thank you. Iā€™ll reach out after Iā€™ve taken the Laser cutting class. Likely in the next month.

1 Like

Custom Christmas ornaments for the players of the NAHL Lone Star Brahmas hockey team. These kids are, for the most part, living with billet families during the season. I made two ornaments for each player, so they can give one to the billet family and keep one for themselves. Just something small to commemorate their time here.

They are made from 3mm Baltic Birch plywood that I stained purple. I then engraved and cut them using my 40 watt ULS Versalaser.

11 Likes

Nice work! I got about 80 feet into demo on ours and cried uncle. I wasnā€™t making minimum wage because Iā€™m inept, especially not with dump fees and we have a solid 160 feet to deal with. I shall make amends by running the farm fence over holiday.

Finished wiring up the sticks tonight in Electronics. They are plugged into a box that has DB-15 connectors on it. I still have to put speaker, test, and service switches on the front of the box and then monitor, power, and speaker connections on the back before wiring up the JAMMA harness.

When finished, it will hook up to one of the Sony PVM monitors I picked up last week and it will be used to test arcade game boards when Iā€™m at trade shows.

The sticks cost me $5 each at the First Saturday sale in downtown Dallas. They were missing the battery cover and I had to modify them by removing the wireless transmitter, drilling a hole, and running wires to hook everything up.

7 Likes

After the Fiberfrolic last night, I hung around and made an over-engineered leather case for my little Gingher embroidery scissors, including fancy-schmancy closure. Theyā€™re expensive and delicate and a case has been long overdue.

The case was pretty straight forward, but I needed a closure to be sure they wouldnā€™t fall out in my bag.

The over-engineering came in on the closure. Didnā€™t leave room at top for button/snap, so what I wound up doing was cutting a scrap strip of leather, then passed through slits at top. Worked good, but didnā€™t like the way it lay. Well, then wrap it. Cool look, but wouldnā€™t stay put. So more slits on the side for anchor. Perfect. It actually holds real well, and I like the funky look.

Iā€™ve taken various leather classes, but this is the first little baby independent leather project Iā€™ve done. So Iā€™m kinda tickled with how it turned out.

And thanks bunches to @HankCowdog for all his help and suggestions last night and to @Webdevel for the several great classes of his that Iā€™ve taken :slight_smile:

12 Likes

Black clay burnished/ textured, no glaze, led light fixture. Iā€™m lovin this Georgia Clay, :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

20 Likes

Amazing!!! Itā€™s awesome to see the finished pictures.

1 Like