Creative Arts Work Day

Hey gang! We have a work day coming up on Sunday, January 19th from 10 am to whenever we run out of steam or everything is fabulous - whichever comes first. We haven’t had a committee-wide work event since the infamous flooring adventure of 2019.

Our two big goals are:

(1) Getting more of the “up by the ceiling” shelving installed, so that nothing is stored on top of the rolling cabinets (allowing teachers to easily haul supplies to a classroom if needed.)

(2) Designing the Auxiliary Bowling Table - and developing a “cut list” for the design that the metal shop guys, led by @malcolmputer, can work with. @AlexRhodes is providing the bowling alley wood for the top. I assume he has wood to duplicate the same dimensions on top? (chime in, dude!) Since the committee voted to kiss the infamous leather pounding table goodbye, the current bowling table (given the abuse it has suffered) will become the leather class table and the new one will be watched like a hawk. And we will put the stink-eye on anybody who messes it up. (just sayin’.)

Other objectives would be general cleanup, cabinet organization, checking to see that tools & supplies are in the correct “zone” for users to find. Wouldn’t hurt to find a can of air and blow any accumulated dust off the sprinkler heads in anticipation of surprise visits from our favorite Fire Marshall.

2 Likes

First, thanks for all your efforts (wow, the vinyl has been overdue for a good solution) and organizing. Much appreciated

Re canned air and sprinkler heads

I vaguely -VERY- vaguely remember something about canned air cleaning sprinkler heads from some other post awhile back in one of the expansive expansion transition threads and can’t remember if it was recommended or strongly DONT do it

I just remember it feeling counter-intuitive (like maybe Don’t) so it might be worth double checking if ok. Just in case

I was able to make it to DMS for a few hours for the first time in a while. Just wanted to say props! CA is looking awesome!

2 Likes

I was remembering we were told specifically to use canned air vs a feather duster. I’m sure @John_Marlow remembers though.

1 Like

I’m remembering that you did have to be careful with the canned air, though, so as not to set them off. @richmeyer – am I right? (sprinkler heads)

from here
https://talk.dallasmakerspace.org/t/expansion-update-09-25-2019/62941/8

1 Like

I don’t know if this is going to matter but at school we need a 2" clearance from the ceiling line around all spaces. It’s a total pain in the behind to deal with because horizontal space is so valuable and vertical is so easy.

I’m positive a fire inspector is harsher at a school over a business so it might not be a concern but I thought it important to mention.

question, since this thread has engagement. What’s the policy on the huge bins of leather? I’d love to make stuff i just dont know what the pricing / policy is on that

The main reason our Fire Inspector is so critical is that the City does not know how to describe a Makerspace. Not only in Carrollton but in all jurisdictions throughout the country. We are not a school since schools have certified instructors around at all time the students are present.

As far as the Fire Sprinklers go, use canned air only to clean these heads because they are over 30 years old and very sensitive to brushes. Also, keep an 18 inch clearance around them when stacking stuff on shelves.

3 Likes

Is there a required clearance between the ceiling and stuff stacked on shelves? Or only if there is a sprinkler head?

We are allowed to stack stuff up to 12 feet high. I am not aware of any limitation if the ceiling is less than 12 feet. So, in short, I only know of the 18 inch clearance to sprinkler heads.

2 Likes

If I’m remembering correctly some are for member use with a suggested donation, some are reserved for classes. @jnorine, @Starreyedgirl, @jrkriehn we definitely should get some labelling on those.

I just got back into town after being away for the holidays - I’ll try and get up there in the next day or two and get them more clearly labeled. Thanks for the heads up!

1 Like

We should seriously consider getting several smaller bins to put this stuff in. Normal people shouldn’t be attempting to lift that much weight over their head, much less trying to get it down. But they shouldn’t be cluttering up the floor either.

1 Like

The area where we had the potential for a problem is already taken care of. We rearranged the placement of cabinets so that Resin was below the one sprinkler head close to the wall. @Roberthines544 and @Starreyedgirl installed the shelving in that stretch of wall in late fall, to ensure the required clearance space.

I can’t imagine us wanting stuff stored all the way to the ceiling tiles. Them thangs are NASTY dirty. Phew.

2 Likes

BTW - Hi Brenly! Glad to see you got your membership issue straightened out. Someday, we shall meet in person!

yes, and I still need to tackle moving cosplay out of the cabinet so there is more room. it is on my list for this week.

1 Like

When you figure out when, let me know and I’ll try and come help.

I have another top still. Dimensions should be very close to current table top. It’s been in my parents garage for several years now and I’m sure they’d be happy to see it go. Just need someone with a truck to meet me in East Dallas to pick it up some weekend.

1 Like

I hope that we’re planning on keeping the tub of fabrics. I use that tub for the tote bags when I’m teaching beginning sewing, and perhaps for the zipper pouch.