Expansion Update - 09/25/2019

does that include upgrade requirements triggered by our changes? IIRC the requirement kicked in since we did the renovation rather than the landlord.

Some of our required changes are due to bad electrical and plumbing installations by previous persons. Some are due because the City upgraded their requirements to the 2018 International Building Codes that took effect back in January 2019.

1 Like

Still getting quotes for the work anyway. Will let the BoD settle things out with the Landlord.

1 Like

Was referring to the outside concrete. If that’s the landlord anyway then disregard

1 Like

Does canned air have to be used on sprinkler heads? Or could stiffer dusters be employed?

The Fire Marshall suggested to use the canned air only. These sprinkler heads are old and sensitive. Please do not use a brush of feather duster.

1 Like

@richmeyer and @Team_Expansion

First of all, I would like to thank you, the expansion committee, and all the volunteers who have contributed to the success of the expansion.

Secondly, a few questions; how is the expansion progressing financially? How much have we spent so far? How much do you estimate it will cost to complete the expansion?

Can you provide rough estimates for future:
Cement work
Electrical work
Mechanical work
Other work/expenses

Could your committee provide these numbers so they can be tied into the Treasurer’s report at the next BOD meeting?

To be clear, I’m not asking for confidential numbers, just budget forecasts to ensure we have financial stability within DMS.

@Team_Finance @Finance @brsims @Team_Expansion

1 Like

I cannot answer your question, the Expansion Group does not handle the finances.

My job as General Contractor is to prepare all the required documentation for the City and to release the bidding process to various contractors. The winning bidder is determined by the Board of Directors, not the Expansion Group. The results of the winning bidder will become public knowledge when the Building Permit is issued by the City, the issued Building Permit contains the cost of that specific project. As General Contractor I will monitor the completion of the contracts and determine when the contract has been completed and the bill can be paid.

3 Likes

I have two questions since they both involved classrooms that are under Education. First is well I think they replaced in wet classroom or will it no longer be a wet classroom? The other one is I all through the old CA area how does this impact the size of the room and such.

The Wet Classroom still exists. This past week we removed the sink and cabinets to make room for a new hot water heater. The sink will be replaced by the one that currently is in the Flex Area by Printmaking. We have outstanding bids for the plumbing work.

The old Creative Arts Room will be reduced in size to make room for an aisle that is required by City Code. The final room size will be 18’ 3" by 22 '6", that comes out to 415 square feet. About the same size as the new Digital Media room.

If it is about the same size as DM, would it be possible to switch rooms? That high ceiling in the pillar room would photo backdrops and and light booms to be used. Not sure how much is invested in the new DM (not speaking for them - but I know old CA was discussed for DM at one time for the high ceiling.

The hallway would add a airgap and another wall between and Woodshop that would greatly reduce the noise.

Then where would the 120 sq ft Audio Room go that is next to the Digital Media Room? If both Committees agree to the swap, then they can petition the Board of Directors for the change.

I thought when you said they were equal size that included the build out of the audio room.

thanks for the quick reply the largest sink will be a great addition to the wet classroom. And now we can stop worrying about how to split the old c a room into two rooms. Hurry it sounds like the aisle will go up next to the wood shop.?

Machine Shop is contemplating installing some partial height partitions for traffic flow. Would the code prevent us from using plywood? I don’t see this as conceptually any different than wooden furniture.

If we can’t make partitions with plywood, is sheetrock up to code? There’s always the fallback of office partitions. Which should be easily aquirable from business liquidators.

We’d be better off with expanded metal or thin sheet metal. The plywood wood not be a “wall” at least as I think of one, but more a painted partition. Normal office partitions would absorb oil and coolant that is thrown off the machines.

Not sure how what Machine Shop wants to do from a fire hazard perspective is different than plywood backing on shelving units so things don’t get pushed off. But if we can;t do it, we can’t do it.

@richmeyer can we string electrified charging wire like is used for livestock?

4 Likes

I will work with the Machine Shop directly to see that everything complies with City Code. Perhaps the use of Plexiglass panels would do?

I am quite sure the Electric Fence is a no.

5 Likes

Thanks mucho, señor !! As always, you exude awesomeness.

3 Likes

Even if it’s UL listed?:wink:

1 Like