Coronavirus : outcome over blown

you’ve met my old boss? :smile:

Oh, and any CNC machinist who has gotten coolant in their mouth is probably immune. Because no virus or bug compares to the funk in that stuff.

2 Likes

One becomes immortal after inhaling the pale green mist…:smirk:

1 Like

I haven’t gotten the flu since the one HORRIBLE bout I got in the 1980’s, but remember it well. Am therefore religious about getting an annual flu shot. And pretty much any other immunization my docs suggest.

1 Like

Just got a company-sponsored pneumonia vaccine 1.5 weeks ago. Will be getting the shingles vaccine (2 shots) within the next 6 months.

The Reece’s dark chocolate thins are 100% worth getting.

3 Likes

Someone told me that the number of left handlers in theSpace was higher than for the general population. Is that anecdotal, or did someone run a survey?

Being sinister myself, I have noticed DMS has many southpaws.

3 Likes

Prepare to do a lot of heel cooling for the shingle virus. Long waiting lists.

1 Like

But as an anecdote: I got mine at my local Kroger store. I had understood them to tell me that you had to wait six months for the second one. But when I went to get my flu shot, the pharmacist asked if I wanted my second shingle shot as well. I wasn’t sure about two shots at one time, so passed on that. Had my annual physical a short time later, and the doc and I were discussing the flu and shingles vaccine. He said that there have been studies that indicate getting multiple vaccines at the same time actually make them even more effective. I guess all the antibodies go on steroids. So… fear not mixing your shots.

2 Likes

I got my first from the VA this week. I’ll get the follow on one in June, but yes I heard that they were in short supply.

No, but chances are good that most people will be EXPOSED to Corona during the course of this epidemic. This isn’t the 1st time Corona has visited this country, and it may be that the 80% of cases that are asymptomatic indicate an immunity from previously having Corona before it mutated into COVID-19. The Spanish Flu (H1N1) began as a simple Cold in Kansas. US soldiers took it with them to Europe, where it mutated into the deadly H1N1. When it came sweeping back, persons who had it as a Cold before were immune to the Influenza and survived.

3 Likes

One of the reasons they’ve given this one a number is that it is killing people. All of your common cold viruses are corona viruses. We’ve all already had a corona virus – just not this particularly virulent one.

2 Likes

a youtube video that is a comparison.

Need to be careful with comparisons to the normal flu.

The COVID-19 mortality rate apparently varies considerably by age and underlying medical conditions.

Check out this article:

Bottom line
This is the time to flatten the curve or stop the spread.

and it only works if everybody steps up.

3 Likes

some admittedly neat visualizations in that video.

but let’s be careful about the source / analysis / message.

note this update added to the video 5 days ago

And note that places like Italy STILL have apparently not yet hit the peak - despite draconian measures the daily new cases and death rate is still larger with each passing day…

1 Like

Most Colds are rhinoviruses, and they about 30 nm in diameter. There are over 160 of them identified. Influenzas are considerably larger, 80-120 nm, and a lot more complex in their coding and camouflage (against your immune system).

The B&W is Rhino, the color pic is Corona. The last pic is the Tranya Midget’s ship from Star Trek. It’s a LOT bigger!
Rhinovirus corona Tranya_ship

4 Likes
1 Like

Let’s not lose sight of the fact that people are dying, and deaths will most likely continue. I will consider myself most fortunate if no one I know and care about succumbs to this illness. To every person that loses a loved one it will be a tragedy. There is a lot of fear out there, and where there is fear there will be silliness. Use common sense, listen to those with expertise, but realize that we may not have faced anything exactly like this before and the experts may not get everything right. Recommendations could easily change. We are all in this together, and if we all pull together and help each other, we will get through this with a minimum of sadness and sorrow.

2 Likes

When has that not been true?

I visited my parents the last weekend of February aware of the fact that they’re nearly within the prime lethality bracket of COVID-19, somehow knowing that I wasn’t going to be seeing them again for a while. This most recent Friday they informed me that they were going to self-isolate for 2+ weeks - and they feel lucky since they can stock the house with food, dad can work from home, they live on 5+ acres in the country, and they’re close enough to a highway with cell coverage that they have reliable cellular internet.

So, yeah, this is real to me.

10 Likes

In a pandemic? About every 20 years or so. Some worse than others, that we all die someday has no revelance to what I was saying.