Coronavirus : outcome over blown

A “flu” with about twice the fatality rate as regular flu.

I got a flu shot. Where do I get my Covid-one-nine shot?

I’m not hoarding supplies but saying “it’s just the flu” is the wrong take, IMO.

2 Likes

There’s a reason a lot of us left-handed people don’t get our hands shaken in many parts of the World.

3 Likes

I agree, it doesn’t…as long as the local/supporting healthcare system and facilities can handle the increased burden, e.g. hospital beds, respirators, etc… In other words, the move toward herd immunity/universal infection, pre-vaccine, would need to be closely and well managed. The current “buzz word” for this is flattening the curve.

IMO, the simple, obvious conclusion is that:

– given the heightened communicability and transmission rates Coronavirus seems to have over the common flu;
– and as a vaccine is 6?, 12?, 18? months away (possibly longer);
– and pets appear to be able to act as carriers;
– and practically speaking we can’t exercise the needed “social distancing” and “self-quarantining” for a year or more;

…it seems clear that nearly everyone is going to become infected at some point in the next 12 months or so. (ask yourself…do you know of any teenager/adult that hasn’t had the common flu?)

So a basic choice for an individual seems to be how, when and where, i.e. under what circumstances, would one want to get it?

edit: it appears that, for the most part, and based on current CDC best understanding and guidance (https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/news/can-dogs-get-coronavirus/), pets in general and dogs in particular are not as high a risk as I had thought.

3 Likes

You sound sinister to me.

2 Likes

Agreed. Assume infection is inevitable. That said, try to delay your own infection for as long as possible to flatten the curve. Then, hope you don’t have to get in line for a ventilator.

Also read somewhere that now’s the time to try to eat healthy, keep as fit as possible, shed a few pounds, lower blood sugars safely, stop smoking, stop drinking in excess, maintain great oral hygiene, etc. any steps to boost the immune system can help. I even read somewhere from the NIH that lysine and zinc can possibly be of benefit.

Living room calisthenics while social distancing anyone? ”Ready…1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and…”

4 Likes

You should see how I ‘look’ (cough, cough….).

1 Like

I hope at some point a vaccine helps reduce the threat… This is zero day virus, i believe. Society is still searching for the solution. The pain of the sick is real, though i don’t know everyone’s pain. Thank you for providing information for my education. This was the aim of my request. I will seek to mitigate others pain. If i am have strength to endure this flu and still help heal others… then it is to our mutual advantage that seek the health of others as well as my self. As there is not I in team. A good behavior and industry and prosperity go together and must concur for prosperity to truly exist. I will seek to respect the evidence and nature. I am sorry for any hurt feelings. (if one part of the body suffers does not all the body suffer). e pluribus unum (ita statum gentis United States of America).(Sorry google translate and unwieldy attempt at encouragement in the old tongue.)

shit. I’m going to die.

7 Likes

When the say “flatten the curve”, I don’t think this was what they had in mind :–)

But, being more health conscious lately, I have switched from Double Stuff Oreos to these:

But I am starting to think I got ripped-off…how many bags do I have to eat before I start to see some friggin’ results, dammit!!

4 Likes

yeah but is life still worth living without double stuff?

4 Likes

Some good news, they’ve ruled out dogs as carriers.

4 Likes

I didn’t know…thanks. Sorry for the slight FUD, there. Fixing above now…

1 Like

I’ve actually never had the flu, but I do get your point.

Hallmark of a carrier … never shows symptoms :wink:

2 Likes

I haven’t either. My wife & kids have but not myself.

I think that South Korea has some data that would interest you. Because they have been so good about testing as many as they can they have a better picture of the risks just by having more data points.

This video takes a look at how transmission works but he doesn’t cite any sources so I don’t know how accurate he is:

That’s amazing

That’s REALLY amazing.

2 Likes

So, I must assume flu virus is afraid of cyanide. Not sure what protective omen keeps @TBJK out of harm’s way … too nice a guy?

Lol. I do get under the weather from time to time. Sinus/allergies 1-2 days a year. Get sick when I eat stuff I’m not supposed to. Then the headaches.

Then there has been the alcohol induced sickness. Lol

2 Likes

Nick,

You still haven’t caught on! You died years ago and are now in Purgatory; DMS isn’t even a concept on earth. Haven’t you noticed yet a weirdness about the “world” as compared to your previous life. If only you had eaten more healthy… Well not to worry, Devine mercy requires that no machinist be sent on to hell as such persons have already experienced hell while on earth.

5 Likes