Come learn to turn a metal pen

I’m interested as well. Either day works. I just took the metal lathe class this week so I am raring to go! (You know…in a few weeks…)

Class is full. Any chance that you could video the process and make it available? I would love to learn to do this.

I am going to offer another class on the 15th. I’ll submit it asap.

2nd class for the 15th has been submitted. keep your eyes open for it to show up. cheers!

4 Likes

I was too slow again. Any chance i could come and watch? Would you open another slot? Looks really cool.

By my math, the class on the 15th should hit the calendar around 10:15 Monday morning.

1 Like

the 2nd class is now live on the calendar. have at it!

4 Likes

Wow. That filled quick. Wish I’d seen the note earlier, I would have checked sooner. Guess you can call me flash since I move too slow. Bummer.

It’s weird though. When I sent my message yesterday, the class on the 15th showed full then. Now the subject line says full as well. Maybe I’m just not quite acquainted with the system.

I edited the subject line to read FULL so that people looking at the even calendar would know at a glance.
Perhaps I’ll do on in January. cheers!

2 Likes

Gary, Just a friendly FYI… The area around the metal lathe is already pretty tight, which is why the classes have to be limited… I hope it works out to where you can attend one soon! :dms:

LIsa pegged it correctly. space is the concern. Plus, with more people, there are more distractions and is a good way for someone to get hurt. don’t worry, I suspect this class will come around again.
-nick

2 Likes

Makes sense. That is quite helpful. If you get a chance, would you mind asking if someone in the class would video the process? If not, I’ll just keep an eye out for another class. Have fun.

Makes sense. I remember during the lathe class having to stand at the back and look over shoulders. I was just hoping to be able to use a selfie stick or something and video the process. No worries, and thanks for the reply.

Looks like an awesome project. Hope you guys have fun.

1 Like

I took the class last night. Nick did a great job and kept everyone included in the process.

Thanks again Nick!

4 Likes

@nicksilva, I really appreciate you taking the time to teach this class and show us more about the lathe and machine shop. I love my new pen, thank you!

1 Like

Thanks @nicksilva for teaching this class. I really enjoy project based classes because it makes the tooling skills seem tangible. I can’t wait to finish out my own pen.

Post pictures if you can. Sounded great.

There are some (well, at least 1) pics here, and it would be a great place to post more, since people come looking here for the things done by 'Spacepeople…

EDIT: PS there are several wooden pens in the blog and show&tell threads, too, many of which I believe were the result of @nicksilva teaching pen turning in wood. The expansion to metal is AWESOME!

2 Likes

I’m away from home and can’t post pictures from my phone. I have a picture of our other pen winner from the death match of rock-paper-scissors which I’ll put up Monday

1 Like

Here is @nausser915 who was the sole survivor of the rock-paper-scissors death match for the pen from the metal pen making class. I may need to do it again in January to make sure everyone who wanted in can get a class. Let me know the interest.
-nick

3 Likes