Come learn to turn a metal pen

I just submitted a new free class request for December so hopefully it will be visible soon. It will be on turning a metal body pen on the Colchester lathe. I did a few of these and I know a few members asked about it from the show and tell threads. It is scheduled for Friday Dec. 9th. Due to space restrictions around the lathe, only 6 slots will be available so keep an eye out for it. cheers!

8 Likes

Darn! Out of the country on the 9th, otherwise I’d find a way to be there. I am very interested in a smallish not too difficult Colchester lathe project. Hope you’ll do another one of these!

1 Like

I would be happy to. I’m in school Mondays and Weds. but we can get together sometime. let me know your availability and I’ll see when I can make it up.
-N

2 Likes

I’m going to keep my eyes open for it to show up on the calendar and try to make it.

Will we need to take the Intro to Lathe class prior to taking this class? I see there are a couple coming up, so I want to make sure to try to catch one first, if it’s a prerequisite

Actually, I’m going to ‘try’ to catch the intro class either way; but, it would be good to know if it’s a prereq or not - incase the intro classes are all full, etc…

Thanks!
:smiley:

1 Like

no prereq is needed. I’ll be the only one doing the turning. I will be going over safety procedures before we start. Since the accident, the stance on safety is tight so the incoming chair may decide that it is best to take the intro class before you actually turn ‘live’, but for the purpose of learning the necessary items for turning a pen only shop procedure needs to be followed (safety glasses and appropriate attire).
cheers!

2 Likes

Just a note, the intro to lathe class is for the woodturning lathes, Nick will be teaching this class on the Colchester metal turning lathe.

1 Like

I appreciate you taking the time to make sure anyone following the thread is aware of the difference. The class I registered for is for an introduction to the Colchester Bantam 2000 Metal Lathe. :smiley:

There is also another intro class for the Metal Lathe later the same day:

1 Like

I’ve taken the Colchester class @wandrson has provided in the past which I presume is going to be what we’re using going forward, more or less… Very helpful into; maybe not a pre-req if Nick is doing the only hands on but definitely a nice-to-have I should think.

1 Like

good call. that would be the appropriate pre-req to turning live. There is also a Colchester class on the 15th.

1 Like

Good to know! It looks like the Metal Lathe class from earlier today, and the two upcoming ones, are going to be held by @BobKarnaugh. I’m not sure if the Metal Lathe classes all follow the same course material; but, I’m looking forward to it either way… :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Yuppers ~ I’m jumping in on the midday one! :smiley:

this class is now on the calendar. YEAH!

1 Like

I signed up earlier today. It sounds like a great class.

And I have to tell you … your class description is AWESOME! What a fantastic job of enumerating all the learning and skills that will be conveyed!

1 Like

thank you. I figure the more information available, the better the chances of getting approved. Now all I can hope is it goes off well and gets a good review. cheers!

1 Like

Happy/sorry to say the class is full already. unfortunately I’m limited by the space around the lathe so 6 was the limit. If there is more interest, I’ll be happy to schedule another class soon. Cheers!

1 Like

Clearly, there is more interest! :slight_smile:

the limiting factor for me is school. Finals are the week of the 15th. And of course the holidays are going to get in the way. But, I’d like for people to be able to do one as a gift for Christmas so perhaps I can do one on the 15th or 16th. Let me know what date people would prefer and I’ll see how that works for me. cheers!

The evening of either works for me though I’d lean toward the 15th.

Same here. Both work but leaning towards 15th.

Same here. I took the intro lathe class and I make wooden pens regularly. I would love to take your metal pen class. Either the 15th or 16th is fine with me.