Any Experienced Avtomat Kalashnikova Builders?

Are there any experienced AK builders here?
I’ve been interested in building an AK-74 for a while and have access to all of the specialized tools needed, but would definitely need some guidance.

2 Likes

Well, it has been a few years since I built one, but I do have the needed tools, and several kits I need to build, after ordering the receivers.

1 Like

do you have any 74 kits you would like to sell?
I have an NDS AK74 receiver, maybe we could do a little Hatchers Armory class and you could go through it with anyone who is interested.
If not I’ll just order a Bulgarian 74 kit from AKOU and we can still try to set up a tutorial class.

2 Likes

I do have a few 74 kits, but I am not looking at parting with them, as they are original barrel, matching numbers kits. I would be up for helping with a class on building them, but will need to order a few receivers first.

1 Like

That would be amazing! I’m sure we could find some people who would be interested in learning how to assemble them.

2 Likes

Sign me up please…

1 Like

I would be interested in the class as well.

Is a class like this allowed? If so I’d be happy to teach a class on building codray/leanad derringers. The single shot .410/45lc I built cost less than $50, I’ve got a side by side I need to build.

I brush plated the frame copper.

2 Likes

This would be pretty awesome

If anyone is looking for a good quality/inexpensive 7.62x39 kit, these guys have the amd65 kit with the barrel installed…
https://www.classicfirearms.com/amd65partialbuildproject762x39.

The hungarian kits are known for quality.

1 Like

A class about what US 922r means for the builder would be very useful…

By my memory, I think it is the requirements of certain parts/number only 10 of 20 can be imported.

1 Like

I wouldn’t expect there to be any issue. DMS has been pretty friendly to firearms and gunsmithing as a whole, and if you did teach people the process of making a gun including ATF registration then I can’t see too much trouble. I don’t know how ironclad the injury waiver would be in the event that one of these guns failed and hurt someone, but it’s not like that issue doesn’t exist with bad reloading, too.

No ATF registration is required when you build your own gun. You also can’t make a gun with the intent to sell it, you can sell it later after you serialize it but it’s best not to pay with fire. I don’t serialize my guns just so there is no question with the ATF I didn’t and don’t plan on making anything to sell.

This is a tool to assist you with 922r compliance on AKs…
http://gunwiki.net/Gunwiki/BuildAkVerifyCompliance

of the 20 parts on the 922r list, no more than 10 can be foreign-made, but as the ak design combines some of them, you really just need to add 6 or 7 depending on your build.
The magazine can actually count for 3 parts, but generally the best mags are comb-block mags.

Most builds use these US-Made parts:
Receiver -1
Barrel -1
Muzzle device-1
Grip -1
Trigger group -3

To Josh’s point, I believe that is only if you bend the receiver yourself (which constitutes manufacture), if you buy a receiver your gun will still need to be 922r compliant.

Also, I believe if we eventually go ahead with this, we could make the builders install the furniture (grips, stocks, muzzle devices ect.) at home. It’s practically impossible for an ak without furniture to function and most people aren’t frightened by a couple of steel tubes sticking out of a piece of sheet metal.

Folks,

There may be some issues with using equipment you don’t own (like the space’s) to build/machine a firearm. I suggest doing some research on this before commencing and potentially getting the space in some legal hassle.

I have read the regulations, when they first came out and it was clear that finishing an AR lower was no longer possible. I don’t remember for sure, but I think it applies to machining any firearm as well.

My knowledge of actual weapons manufacturing laws is pretty limited.
What I’m proposing is, as far as I know, not deemed manufacture since the receiver is already manufactured (bent, welded and serialized) and the purchase of the receiver would require the builder to go through all the standard background checks and such.
Basically all we would be doing is riveting some parts together, but again my legal knowledge on the complex arms manufacturing laws is limited and I definitely don’t want to find myself on the wrong side of the law, so thanks for the info.

1 Like

@Jeremy is (I believe) a gunsmith as well as a Makerspace member, so he may be in a good position to give you advice on what you can and can’t do in this area. I was somewhat confused about what you were doing, since I thought you would be making the receiver for the parts kit posted above. Pretty sure that counts as manufacture since the ATF considers that the actual ‘gun’.

Just need a little due dillegence, since I don’t think anyone want’s the black helicopters and troops rappelling into DMS! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Agreed.
I really just want to learn the proper assembly process since it’s a bit more complex than the LEGO-AR builds.
I do know there are classes held by gunsmiths (specifically Rifle Dynamics) where they teach AK assembly but they may have some legal allowance or something since they hold it at an FFL licensed gun shop.

2 Likes