80% lower jig? Tips and tricks?

I saw some people working on an 80% lower at the old location. Any chance I could get some pointers? Maybe borrow your jig? I have 2 lowers I would like to complete. I have had them for awhile but never got around to doing them.

I have milled a basic jig for machining an ar15 lower that you are welcome to use.

It doesn’t provide the drill guides used in most commercial jigs since I used the DRO of the Bridgeport to drill the holes by coordinates. I also used the same jig and DRO to mill out the trigger pocket.

Let me know if your interested.

Yes I am very interested! I would love to learn how to use one of the mills to do it. I think it would get a better finish than a regular drill press like most jigs are made for?

Tell me when and where and I will be there! I am at your disposal.

Yes you get much better results using a mill properly. Frankly the descriptions I have read of the drill press approach is tool abuse.

Because of federal law, I can’t offer you any help, including just verbal advice, while you are performing the machining. But I would be glad to describe the proces and show you how to use the machine as soon as I recover enough. May be a few weeks.

That would be great. Thank you for your generous offer.

Is there anyone else who might be available over the next few days? I would like to wrap this up as soon as possible.

It is, unfortunately, no longer legal to finish an 80% lower at DMS. The ATF passed a new regulation that prevents the use of another entity’s equipment for the purposes of manufacturing a receiver.

I wasn’t aware of the recent change. Thanks for the heads up!

1 Like

Yeah, about time we fired all the a-holes in the ATF. Strike that, all the a-holes in government, period.

1 Like

A good article on this unfortunate government infringement of our 2nd amendment rights.

1 Like

What about this …

First person buys it, completes a lower, sells it to the next person. Last person who uses it eBays it. Cost is split over all users.

1 Like

I think it makes more sense to donate money to a legal defense fund to be used by a co-op to defend oneself and seek to have the ruling overturned.

That said, no one should try to circumvent this at DMS, it wouldnt be fair to the members. But a co-op that purposely set itself up for the challenge…

1 Like

I dunno, if you look at the definitions, I don’t believe we fit. IE we(dms) are not providing any instruction, nor are we(dms) selling these said items. But hey I won’t press it, as Walter said its not fair to the other members.

I will be interested to see how long this “rule” lasts. It will get push back by many Americans & corporations.

The GCA, 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(1), defines a “person” to include “any individual, corporation, company, association, firm, partnership, society, or joint stock company.” Section 921(a)(10), defines a “manufacturer” as any person engaged in the business of manufacturing firearms or ammunition for purposes of sale or distribution. As defined by section 921(a)(21)(A), the term “engaged in the business” means, as applied to a manufacturer of firearms, “a person who devotes time, attention, and labor to manufacturing firearms as a regular course of trade or business with the principal objective of livelihood and profit through the sale or distribution of the firearms manufactured.” Because “manufacturing” is not defined by the GCA, courts have relied on the ordinary meaning of the word, including actions to “make a product suitable for use.” See, e.g., Broughman v. Carver, 624 F.3d 670, 675 (4th Cir. 2010). Section 921(a)(11)(B) defines a “dealer,” in relevant part, as any person engaged in the business of repairing firearms or of making or fitting special barrels, stocks, or trigger mechanisms to firearms.” A person meeting this definition is commonly referred to as a “gunsmith.”

No the new ruling specifically covers ‘associations’ like the makerspace. It is now illegal to use the space’ tooling to finish a lower receiver. And the space could be shutdown if a member violates this rule.

Well that is just a pisser. I knew I should have done these when I bought them.

I agree with TBJK though. I dont think this will stand for long.