3D Scanner for the space

Patrick,

Would it be possible to bring it to the Space on a weekend or evening, maybe do a few scans to let us see it in action?

Mike

1 Like

Definitely, that was what I was thinking… I’m swamped until after next Friday, but pretty open after that.
patrick

3 Likes

Yeah the David Scanner we have was donated to the 'Space a couple years ago. It was free and 100% better than the scanner we never had before getting it! :wink: :slight_smile:

Even though it’s not the greatest, I’d still like to see if someone can CAD up a file (or see if there’s a suitable one online - like one of the files from Thingiverse, etc…) to print/build a rig to hold the laser pointer, cam and maybe even get ‘fancy’ with a rotating platform to see if we can get ‘some’ use out of it. I mean… The box looks kewl 'n all; but, imagine actually USING what’s in the box?!! :open_mouth: :wink:

Thx for the link Pat! That looks pretty kewl! I haven’t looked at the side by side specs (between that and the Next Engine)… But, def looks more promising than the David Scanner we currently have.

…and, speaking of the Next Engine… It would be So Totally Awesome if you could bring it by to let us see it in action! Naturally, my preference would be on a weekend - since I work so late during the week… :wink: But, either way ~ Yes, we would love to see a live demo when you have time to do it! :smile:

Thanks, y’all!
:smile:

I was chatting with a DMS member (sorry, can’t remember his name) in the 3D Lab last night and he mentioned raising money to buy a super-duper 3D scanner for the 3D Lab.

1 Like

It was me… we talked about the month that has already been raised.

1 Like

UPDATE:

I added an agenda item to the Board of Directors Meeting that’s coming up THIS Sunday to request funds for the purchase a NextEngine 3D Scanner HD PRO with MultiDrive.

Here is a link to the agenda item on the wiki:
https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Board_of_Directors_Meeting_20150419#Purchase_a_NextEngine_3D_Scanner_HD_PRO_with_MultiDrive_.28Lisa_Selk.29

Here is a link to a review of the scanner:

http://3d-scanners.ireviews.com/nextengine-3d-scanner-hd-review

…and a small blurb from that review:

The NextEngine 3D Scanner HD offers a high fidelity scan that rivals printers in a much higher price range. It is touted by the manufacturer as, “not a cheaper 3D Scanner,” but “…a better scanner that costs less.”

UPDATE:

As previously mentioned, I did add a request for a 3D Scanner on this month’s Board Meeting agenda. It was tabled for now. Below is my response on a thread regarding the board meeting.

Prior to the board meeting, Robert, one of the board members, had expressed his concern that the Next Engine may not be as high quality as he would like to see for Dallas Makerspace. After the board meeting, at least one member suggested we consider asking for an industrial quality scanner - basically thinking forward to get the best Dallas Makerspace can afford! :smile:

With that feedback, I have added acquiring an High Quality, High Definition 3D Scanner to next month’s board meeting: (https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Board_of_Directors_Meeting_20150517#Acquire_a_High_Definition_3D_Scanner_.28Lisa_Selk.29). As the first solution to consider, I suggested an industrial quality scanner (at a cost of $20,000 or more) for the board to consider; and, also added the top of the line “Under 10,000 range scanner” (that I had suggested during this month’s meeting) as the second solution to consider. :slight_smile:

Over the next couple weeks, I will be doing some research into the industrial quality scanners ($10,000 - $50,000 range). I will start with the information found at this review site: http://3d-scanners.ireviews.com/2015-best-3d-scanners-under-50000-review.

Please feel free to add suggestions. It would be most awesome if we could acquire a super high quality scanner that could be used to scan vehicles as well as small objects!!! (and, we will have the top of the line “mid-to-pretty-darn-great” range 3D Scanner that I had on the agenda for this month ~ which I would still be more than excited to have at the 'Space!!!) :slight_smile:

Here are a couple links I posted as separate threads - because they have videos embedded in them; and, the videos usually auto-play… :wink: :slight_smile:

Please watch this thread, provide feedback, and most important suggestions on which 3D Scanner we want at Dallas Makerspace! :smile:

Here is the agenda item, as currently written, that I have posted for next month’s Board Meeting.

https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Board_of_Directors_Meeting_20150517#Acquire_a_High_Definition_3D_Scanner_.28Lisa_Selk.29

I want to be able to have better details (including models, specs, prices, etc…) for “Solution 1”; and, if y’all can come up with something better than what is already listed for “Solution 2”, my ears are open!

… getting excited at the possibility of a truly awesome quality 3D Scanner for the 'Space!!! :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Friend of mine works at Captured Dimensions (3D scan is their specialty) this is what they use. http://www.artec3d.com/hardware/artec-eva/?hc_location=ufi

1 Like

That’s cool. So how much does a Captured Dimensions 3D Scanner compare to a Next Engine 3D Scanner?

1 Like

Here’s an excellent comparison. NextEngine is by far cheaper but you get what you pay for. I supposed it just depends on the quality required. http://www.aniwaa.com/3d-scanners/compare-3d-scanners/

1 Like

Thanks for the link April (@amp1276)!

I used to drool over the Artec Spider! :wink:

1 Like

Looking at the Chart it would seem that the David Scanner is the best bang for the buck. Precision and Resolution are comparable to the Artec and far superior to the NextEngine at a 10th of the price.

1 Like

We actually have a David Laserscanner (don’t know if we got a version that comes with the Structured Light scanning), but so far no one has been able to get anything useful out of it. It should be in the 3D Fab room still, on a shelf, if you want to give it a shot. You’ll need a really dark room, and although they say you can move the laser by hand, experimentation has shown this to give really bad results. If our version DOES have the SL scanning option, we should think about giving that a try–should be faster and more accurate, at least for larger (human) scans.

1 Like

We do not have the structure light version on the David scanner. At that is not what they were using, I remember basically a laser pointer and a turntable.

Before we worry about price, what are the requirements, needs or wants in a 3D scanner. More busts of John K. with better fidelity?! :wink:

What types of objects do people want to scan and and what resolution? Also to consider is the workflow needed to get those scans into file types that works with our gear? 3D printers, HAAS, CNC Router, etc.

If that can be met with a $1,200 scanner or a $12,000 scanner. Great

2 Likes

I for one would be looking to make models for CNC (Haas and Multicam) and for 3D printing. Scanning an entire car would be neat, but I’d be looking for 2 square feet and under with very good resolution.

As for the software, I think most of the scanners mentioned so far export in OBJ, STL, or PLY formats all of which are importable by a multitude freeware and high end software packages.

1 Like

I’m looking for about the same size 2ft. Mainly for HAAS and 3D printing.

1 Like

I’m will be at the space (finally!) this Sunday for the Laser maintenance class and can bring up our Next Engine if you guys are interested in seeing it in action. I can come up a couple hours early…2:00?, set it up and let you check it out. It’s been a while since I’ve messed with it, but it should come back to me pretty quick… I’ve also got Skanect and Asus Xtion scanner rig that works pretty darn well I can bring…

Let me know today, and I’ll bring it home with me from work.

patrick

3 Likes

I have gotten pretty good results from 123D Catch but I need dimensional accuracy because I would like to copy shapes that would be hard to model (as mentioned in another thread, my Razer Orochi mouse).

The Jay Leno Garage videos demo what would be possible with a good 3D scanning setup, we could replace parts that aren’t manufactured anymore and then make them better.

1 Like