Faro ScanArm 3D Laser Scanner - Scan Entire Vehicles with this scanner!

Here’s a Really Nice 3D Scanner in the higher quality - scan entire vehicles - type range! :smiley:

Continuing the discussion from 3D Scanner for the space:

I would be very willing to help on this project.
Thanks for getting it started.
Kenny Rogers

1 Like

Hi Kenny (@TXarmory)!

Something like this would be so amazing and definitely an awesome resource for the 'Space!!! :smile:

I’m fixin to post another video (separate thread because the videos auto-play; and, having more than one video auto-play at one time… Well, it’s just best to avoid… hehe… :slight_smile: )

I’m hoping over the next couple weeks to get plenty of feedback from the members - to narrow down which level of awesome we want to aim for; and, then which specific model we should request on the next Board Meeting… :smile:

If you need competition for the high end scanners I would add a Romer Absolute arm with scanner and the Creaform Handyscan 700 to the mix.

I would recommend an arm with scanner over just a scanner as scanner do poorly with hole location and diameter. But this is only if your are interested in reverse engineering all the geometry. if you are just interested in the surfaces a scanner is fine and go cheap. If you get an arm you would probably want to also look into getting inspection software to go along with it… geomagic, polyworks, spatial analyzer… I may be going overboard though…

2 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion Ian (@sinceru1934)!

Are these items you have used yourself?

If you get a chance, could you give us some additional details (links, prices, reviews, personal experience, etc…). I’d like to gather as much information as possible, so we can bring solid data to the board along with our request.

In an effort to try to keep all the details in one thread, could you please post any additional information/details/suggestions on the following thread:

Thanks so much!
:smile:

So, I am not certain what you are looking for but here is my opinion…

Romer arm found here: http://hexagonmetrology.us/products/portable-measuring-arms/romer-absolute-arm-with-integrated-scanner I is around ~$70k as I recall

I use both Romer and FARO arms at work to inspect parts. Personally I like the ergonomics/balance of Romer arms as well as their modular probes vs FARO. As for the laser scanners, I have only personally evaluated the FARO version but I would assume they are pretty close to the same accuracy for what is needed at the space.

I have not evaluated Creaforms HandyScan( http://www.creaform3d.com/en/metrology-solutions/portable-3d-scanner-handyscan-3d ). I did evaluate their MetraScan and HandyProbe combination and was impressed except they need to work on a better feedback for the optimum scanner distance. The Handy probe is ~$55k and the metra was a ~$50k upgrade.

The one turn off to a lot of the scanners, that use photogammetry, is the need for placing stickers all over in order to get a good scan, and then removing them all. The arm/scanner combo eliminates the need since the coordinate system is based off the arm position.

I feel like I am rambling now…

1 Like