Resurfacing Spoil Board

I don’t mind, doing it, you briefly showed me how to resurface, just need a refresher.

I just dont’ know why somebody would cut a pocket that deep and continue to let the machine run…baffles me.

1 Like

Hi Rodney,
I’ll be at the space after work today and I can give you a little refresher on running the resurfacing program. If you going to want to do this during the day, just give me a ring and I’ll try and run by the space to get you going. I’ve PMed you my contact information.

Frank posted these in another thread. Its not that hard just un intuitive.

Here are the instructions:
http://www.multicamsoutheast.com/wordpress/Files/TableMillDirections.pdf

and the user manual

http://www.multicamsoutheast.com/wordpress/Files/Router_User_Manual.pdf

IMO, if you resurface, you should wear a respirator. You could probably also chase it with the vacuum, but footing and gantry avoidance can make this a little dangerous. When you multiply even small depth change by 5’ and then 10’, it ends up being a crapload of dust.

As an example, I once resurfaced one side of the board by 0.01" and the other 0.025" (slightly uneven in spots). 0.035" doesn’t seem like much, but when I multiply it all out:

(0.01 + 0.025)in * (5 * 12)in * (10 * 12)in = 252 in^3

To visualize that, imagine that as a cube of dust. If you take the cube root of that 252, you can imagine a cube of dust ~6.3" on each side, which is a lot of dust.

2 Likes

Awesome, the more i can learn to help maintain the machine the better. Not sure about today, right now Sunday afternoon is feasible.

I need to get up there and hang the router instructions anyway, I have the stuff just been busy lately.

@AlexRhodes I want to add a .125 long bit to the arsenal Alex, Osrud or Diablo right. I use this to sharpen my pocket corners and cutouts. Do I need to buy and donate?

I do both Kent, I hate a messy work area even while its running, I chased the CNC with vacuum for 4 hours one night. I agree it’s messy, I was also looking into some additional vacuum adapters to help with in operation cleanup too.

Chasing it with the vacuum during the surfacing program gets a bit tricky. It forces you to be far from the pendant and moving up and down along the long (X) axis. Once it reaches the far side of Y axis (low values of Y coordinate), the reach becomes tricky. On top of this you’re navigating between work tables and the gantry on a floor that is becoming slick with dust.

To be clear, I’m more worried about someone falling or getting knocked over by the gantry than a mess that can EVENTUALLY be cleaned up :smile:

I can’t remember, the feed speed isn’t very high during that operation is it?

i have run it at 350 ipm when only taking off .01" with the 1.5" large fly cutter.

You can change it, but it shouldn’t be too fast. My hesitation on surfacing at any given time is less a consideration of the amount of time it will take me and more about how many people are in the woodshop without respirators on at the time. Thursday nights are bad for instance if tours are coming thru. :smile:

Im a night owl, i would do it later in the evenings when traffic is low. I just need to know how to do it, so when it needs to be done, take care of it.

Yeah, mess is a hassle. When I resurfaced the table I only took off .02 inches and seemed to fill the room with dust even though I tried chasing with a vacuum. Also, I would suggest asking others in the room if they could wait to use the vac system till your done resurfacing. the vac seems to be useless when others have even a single baffle open. It only takes about 30 minutes once you hit go one the router, so it shouldn’t be that big of a disturbance and I’m sure they wouldn’t want to breath the dust either.

I have not seen the spoil board as is, but keep in mind that bondo is sometimes a better way to fix SPECIFIC problems (like a gouge) than to resurface the entire board.

Unless someone really cuts it deep, most of the time, minor cuts and impressions don’t effect workhold, and the board probably doesn’t need to be surfaced.

Don’t forget the air handler filters on the roof. Part of surfacing, probably should include cleaning or replacing filters that get saturated from the dust.

1 Like

Briefly touching on that air filter stuff, we may want to look into relocating or partial relocation of the returns outside the wood shop. I would hope this would cut down on the need to replace the filters.