CNC - Resurfacing and Table Leveling

Hello All,

First of all thanks to everyone that used the CNC this weekend, lots of use and folks were courteous and the machine was left in great shape.

@AlexRhodes @Kentamanos The table really needs to be resurfaced, can somebody point me to or quickly explain how to do this. A few of us wanted to do it this weekend, but didnt know how to.

Also, the front and middle of the table is really bad in regards to leveling, i had a few pieces that would not cut through, and i even set the depth for a .75 sheet to .78.

I actually had to set the surface and depth, and the manually bring the bit down in the collet prior to running the job to get it to work correctly, it took 3 additional before it finally went through. So that’s my pretty artwork on the table :smile:

I don’t mind doing the resurfacing could of done it last night, i was trained on how to empty the barrel as well for the vacuum system.

Continuing the discussion from Resurfacing Spoil Board:

Alex says later in that thread he has run the 1.500" fly cutter at 350 ipm (no RPM mentioned it seems, but at 1.500" it probably isn’t super high). You going to be around sometime tonight or tomorrow? I think we can figure it out with the above instruction and some reasonable caution.

Another important factor is inserting the 1.5" cutter. It’s minimum insertion point is not “compatible” with our “crown wrench”. If you insert it far enough, you won’t be able to retract the “crown wrench” after tightening. Because of this, we recommend using a “pin wrench” to tighten the collet nut tight enough. There is one in the machine shop red toolbox, but please replace it when done (I found it in our router toolbox the other day and returned it). The pin wrench looks similar to this: http://www.ultimategarage.com/shop/images/126a.80.jpg (Note that ours has some blue paint on it, indicating it belongs in machine shop).

I’ll be up there tonight for the 7PM BoD meeting, but I have no idea how long that will go (probably 3 or 4 hours).

3 Likes

The official MultiCam router manuals leave much to be desired. I was lucky enough to have the guys that installed the one up at my work (3000 series) train me directly. I crafted my own manuals because I know I’ll eventually have to train others, for when I’m on vacation and they call me I can just say “did you read the manual? It’s in the manual. Read the manual. I gotta go now.”.