Working with 1/8th inch aluminum sheets

Hello… are there capabilities to precision-cut 1/8th aluminum sheets (with curved edges) and then emboss / etch the surface?

I want to make large playing cards (8”x10”) out of aluminum and then emboss the suit / number / artwork and then paint the embossed areas so they stand out.

Thanks!

Are you a new member?
You should get you green dot.

This sounds like a job for the Shapeoko in plastics. Soft metal is allowed there, but training is required. I’d cut blanks on a table saw with an appropriate blade (not available at the space).

I have a small table saw I use for this purpose that I could bring in, but you need to supply your own blade.

You could also rough the blanks out on the CNC plasma cutter in metal shop.

1 Like

Thank you all! I wasn’t sure as I’m not a member quite yet. Had hoped to tour the facility today but wasn’t able to make it in time.

So would the Shapeoko be able to give that recessed/embossed effect? It would only need to sink about 1/16th below the surface. It would also round the edges?

Thanks again!

So it can be done on a multitude of machines/ways. However I want to make it perfectly clear that it is some work. Don’t let that discourage you though.

1 Like