Workbenches, Work Days, Next Committee Meeting

Just to clarify - the $420 was for a total of three tables.

This is the mill. The power cord should give you an idea of size.

This is the lathe. We plan to have two. The second lathe might have a longer bed than this one (8" bed shown). @richmeyer - does your lathe have the 8" bed, or the 17" bed?

1 Like

The Sherline Lathe that I am donating to DMS has the short bed, like the picture above. The metal base is 15" long. It is mounted on a wood board 30" wide and 12" deep. Besides the Lathe there is a metal enclosure that houses the controls. This system will be CNC ready, just need the computer and CNC software to complete it. In the mean time it can be manually operated.

3 Likes

This can NEVER be guaranteed here.

2 Likes

I think the 1/4 inch sheet I have at my shop is a full 4x8 I dont think i cut it at all I also have some other small pieces of sheet metal as well as tubing of various shapes and sizes that can be used for the tables that i would be willing to donate

3 Likes

If you’re willing to donate the 1/4" sheet - that would be fantastic, that would be extremely generous of you. We can order the square tubing 1"~2" or 2" angle iron for around the edges for stiffness, another piece down the center or two cross pieces for any sag, with 2" legs, a piece length wise down the center, and work out the other details.

We can have a planned work day/weekend so we have enough people to get it onto the plasma cutter to cut it down to 4’ X 6’ and used the drop off for any gussets and leg pads to cut out on the plasma cutter. (it took five to move a 4’ x 8’ 1/8th sheet successfully onto the plasma cam @TBJK Tim had gotten). Maybe even schedule a plasma cam class to cut the gussets, etc. out. Or just go for a 4’ x 8’ table that would allow four stations, an extra for growth. Although maybe a 4’ X 6’ would be a better physical fit.

The frames could already be welded and ready for the top, final assembly in Machine Shop bringing the MIG Welder over. Everybody can have their chance at practicing MIG (anything you aren’t particularly proud of you can grind out and redo. @zmetzing has talked about doing an angular grinder class. This would be a great class for it: Weld prep, using a cut-off wheel, wire brush, flap sanders, etc. to demonstrate and practice grinder techniques, pretty this puppy up. We end up with a great table at the end, several classes learning would be there … great cross over of training for more metal working skills.

Maybe even work in a MIG class from @LeeCJones

Cutting the angle/box iron pieces would be good practice on the Cold Cut saw, do some fancier 45 degree joints. Make it a training day.

We can make this a committee project if that’s the way folks want to go. We just have to plan it out. Could be the Lathe tool post build Tim & Bob @BobKarnaugh have in mind, even the lathe chuck rack, larger pads for larger casters on surface plate.

Be an all day or weekend of learning and build session with a Metal Makers made table at the end for our bench top equipment coming in. What say you all?

1 Like

That wasn’t me talking about an angle-grinder class. :smiley:

If not you - who was it? You’re such a Super Hero over in Metal Shop I just figured that was you. Have unjustly denied credit where to someone else?

1 Like

Square tube or round tube/pipe would be the way to go. Angle iron tends to flex more & requires more stiffening.

I believe that @Adam_Oas was talking about wanting to take an angle grinder class. Not sure if there was anyone else that was talking about giving the said class.

We would also want to put adjustable feet on the tables. I think I have some acme threaded rod that might be up to the task. Or find some good quality feet.

2 Likes

Square tube easier to fit up.

Tim, I won’t be at Space today to make Metal Shop meeting, believe I gave you my proxy already. Put in the recommendation for the 1" anvil

Also let Chuck know that the Amazon order for the sand belts was cancelled because they were back-ordered and no due date. He’ll need another source.

Need input on which is preferred: 4’ x 6’ or 4’ x 8’? Then can calculate the rest material needed. Agreed foot adjustment is needed. While we won’t need it immediately, we’ll need to move that 120V electrical drop over the gray bench so it comes down over this new bench.

I had talked about working to develop (and take) a grinder class. The primary reason for it would be that from what I can surmise, the angle grinder is the single most common usage tool for metal shop work, and really a pre and post operation tool for things such as welding.

2 Likes

I put metal a sheet of 4x8 1/4 inch in the shop along with a 24ft 2x2 1/8 inch stick for the work benches in the shop last night it is marked.In case anyone would like to practice welding square tubing and or pipe along with some sheet metal and plate. I also put a new grinder in there that is marked tungsten only. It has also only been used for tungsten.

4 Likes

can’t make tonight’s committee meet but I’ll be there Thursday.
So we got the first HAAS class under our belts. 15 paid, 12 showed up. either way, that’s $500 to the committee (10% to the Haas fund, right?). next week’s is full as well. I’m going to try to get some small programs running on Thursday during tours. someone should be there to correct/inform the tour guides as most thought it was still the marathon classes for the Haas. cheers!

3 Likes

Probably @Adam_Oas would be “the one” as he’s the new PR chair, eh? Maybe he can disseminate…

1 Like

It was a great class. :slight_smile:

Having a program running on Thursday when we are giving tours would be great. I will say though that users projects should take precedence over showing the machine off. That said, we don’t really go into specifics on any particular class on the tours, as there are simply too many things to talk about and the tours are already rather long sometimes. It’s good for the guides to know, in case someone asks specifically, but in general, people don’t ask about specifics like that on the tours.

2 Likes

Yep, will order the repair parts. Walter has gotten the USB to Something Port in, one still hasn’t arrived.

$50 from Monthly Allocation (the 10%) + $50 from Committee portion of class Honorarium + $450 class fees = $550 allocated to HAAS Team

3 Likes

Jeremy- Thanks for thinking of DMS, but FYI donations or loans of equipment need to be approved before contributing those items to the 'space.

https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Rules_and_Policies#Loaning_of_Tools_.26_Equipment_To_The_Makerspace

2 Likes

We discussed these items last night in the metal shop meeting. Also getting a new tungsten grinder, I don’t remember him saying he was going to donate the grinder but lately my memory has not been it’s best. It’s kinda a dual committee thing if you think about it.

2 Likes

Ok. Just a reminder for everyone, then. Too many meetings to make them all! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Unfortunately, I doubt that the “Tungsten Only” will be observed by all members. Perhaps placing this grinder back by the Miller, on its own stand, would have any effect?

1 Like

Good idea to segregate it. Perhaps a canvas cover for it while not in use as well. On the cover, stencil in red, “TUNGSTEN USE ONLY”?