Workbenches, Work Days, Next Committee Meeting

Looking at getting the workbenches for the Sherline bench mill and lathes. Several ways we can do this (my proposals):

One option is to used the tall benches like in CA, they are 6’ long so a mill and a lathe could be side by side. 72" x 25" bench We’d need two of these as we’ll have two lathes a mill and a space for a future item. These have an advantage is rolling tooling cabinets can be stowed underneath them. Cost 2 x $200 = $400

Next is smaller version 48" x 24" we’d need 3 of these: 3 X $140 = $420

Another option is: 24" X 49" Stainless Steel roll around cart 3 X $120 = $360

Want these on hand before I order the Sherlines so we are ready for them. Your comments, preferences, by the committee members?

My personal input would be the 3 x 24" x 48" tables, three could be arranged to form a 4’ x 4’ “cube” oooops … math error: 4’ X 6’ (thanks Chris:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:) if desired. I like the rolling tables but they are only 35" high and you can’t sit on a stool at them but they can be stowed. Last is the 72" tables, while two could sit next to each other it would be a little crowded.

Also, the next Committee Meetings will be short because I’d like us to go out and move the new lathe to it new position and the Bantam will be retired. Have been contacting various Makerspaces to see if they want out Bantam.

Later in April, I’d like a: Dig it out, Sort It, Inventory it, Restore It or Pitch Party as we get things into their final positions.

Thanks

3 Likes

Are you against something like this? Keep all the tooling and associated components with each machine while allowing the mobility? http://m.homedepot.com/p/Husky-46-in-9-Drawer-Mobile-Workbench-with-Solid-Wood-Top-Black-7440946R/206839475

3 Likes

Along those same lines, I am wondering if we want the Sherlines to be mobile. Though this is “normal” in the world of woodturning, generally I think this is frowned upon in the world of machining metal as it makes them harder to keep true (as I understand)…

1 Like

Not against it, but if you are sitting you have to stay back from it as you can’t get your legs underneath it so you’d be forced to stand when using it then it is okay.

But it is an option the committee can consider. But advantages lots of drawers and it can roll.

Thanks

1 Like

These machines are so light weight I don’t think it would be an issue as the top of the rolling unit is fairly stiff. But it could be a consideration. We have a husky unit like this somewhere in the Space, J&SM I believe. We could put a straight edge across it put 50# on it and see the deflection, if any. The total weight capacity is 1200# so it would be about 5% of gross load capacity.

2 Likes

I vote for this too. no need for people to be elbowing each other trying to work.

3 Likes

We’re only going to move those bad boys once, right? So will it be Weds or Thursday?

2 Likes

First come first to serve and grab the glory!

have yall thought about buying the metal and building these?

I’d like to point out that three tables would not make a 4’ x 4’ cube. Two tables would. Three tables could make a 6’ x 4’ surface.

1 Like

I like the 4’ tables due to the flexibility of how we can arrange them. I also like the fact that they have a very sturdy top on them that isn’t going to sag at any point. Leveling the lathes in particular is important. When we get the tables into their correct location we need to take advantage of the leveling feet.

I strongly prefer the taller standing-height tables and I do not think it’s necessary to be able to sit at those tables - for several reasons. First of all, it puts your face directly in the path of the chips. Second, nothing takes so long that it’s worth sitting down. The chair/stool just gets in the way. We don’t sit at the Bridgeport or the Colchester - why would we sit at a Sherline?

I use my micro-machines at home at a standing table. While I have the ability to sit on a stool in front of those machines, I never do - for the reasons above. When I go to [miniatures summer camp] we sit at the machines because it’s a classroom type environment but it just feels awkward. I still end up standing over mine at a table that’s way too low.

However - we are going to have a collection of tools and accessories that should stay at each machine. First, those things should (IMO) be in small plastic tubs/bins to prevent them from getting bunged up, and they should be at each workstation. One to two plastic shoeboxes should be adequate for each station. Could we buy a drawer for each workstation, or could we make one from wood with purchased drawer glides? I found this uber-expensive drawer or this much smaller drawer but I’m sure there must be others available.

One drawer under the table would still allow sitting on a stool if desired.

You are correct … usual! I was thinking edges. That is still the same foot print as two of the big stand-ups but would be three workstations not four. But there several people here last night discussing it and everyone felt the 48" wide was much better than 36" - in fact 36" may be too small.

Agree. I don’t think I suggested the 36" tables.

But FWIW, I am using mine in about 30". It’s doable but certainly not ideal.

Yes, I’ve thought about it. The truth is buy he time you buy all the metal, paint, etc. we might save half the cost. But then we have to spend all the time to fabricate them. Not opposed to doing it, if the group wants to fabricate them, I’m not against it.

You willing to organize the Table Build Team?

1. Do the design … lots of input
  2. Bill of materials, so we can cost estimate it
    -Top alone: 4’ x 6’ X 1/2" plate is about $590,
  3. Source& buy the metal … no out of pocket, I can buy it as a procurement officer
  4. Bring it here (if shipped cost goes way up) need someone with truck
  5. Cut the pieces and prep for welding … need people the help get tops onto plasma cutter, this was a task when @TBJK got some 1/8th" sheet, took five of us. But could get a 4’ x 6’ feet cut, but it would need to be at least 1/2" thick (20.4 lbs sq ft) 490lbs … still need crew to move, that’s before legs attached. Doable, but need people there.
  6. Weld them (I know one member that might be willing)
  7. Paint it
  8. Receive accolades

I’d love to do this -

I have little to offer here (i.e., no relevant skills) but I don’t think the top would have to be metal. The machines themselves only weigh about 30 pounds (or less).

Machines aren’t heavy, but sagging is an issue. Table needs rigidity to support them. Lighter plate could be used and box/angle iron along edge substituted.

But a lighter design could be made. I think $420 is going to be a though threshold to meet for cost. But a metal surface has merits of it’s own that may negate the cost difference.

Added: 1/4" plate is $371, I don’t think much lighter could be used without a lot on under the table bracing. But could be doable.

1 Like

yeah you are way over killing everything if the Machines are 30 lbs. I can build a table that rolls including weld labor and metal for well under that price. I have Material left over from other jobs as well as some casters at the shop if they can be used for the table project I will donate them

$420 is way high for the application the table in the pictures was 1/4 in tranny table that I built for cheaper than that and you could park a truck on it

1 Like

I also have some 3/16 and 1/4 inch plate at my shop that can be used

1 Like

What’s the size and bill of materials for the above? We would not have shelf on bottom and would need to be able to store a rolling cabinet under it, so lower legs supports would be altered, not a biggie.

The issue of weight is not of “How much can it support” but “How little deflection is there in table surface” as this impacts tool stability and straightness, impact greater on the lathes than mills because of designs.

1 Like

would someone please show me a picture of the equipment that will be going on top? So i am 100% on track. Now for deflection we just weld gussets and supports to make it rigid it also would not be a bad idea to make the legs adjustable so you can level the table out if moved,

I don’t mind dedicating my time to build whatever is needed as long as It is something that is truly needed to help the Makerspace and it is going to be used and not abused.

I will build whatever I don’t mind have a lot of material as well that can be used to help save money that I don’t mind donating.

4 Likes