Workbenches, Work Days, Next Committee Meeting

That wasn’t me talking about an angle-grinder class. :smiley:

If not you - who was it? You’re such a Super Hero over in Metal Shop I just figured that was you. Have unjustly denied credit where to someone else?

1 Like

Square tube or round tube/pipe would be the way to go. Angle iron tends to flex more & requires more stiffening.

I believe that @Adam_Oas was talking about wanting to take an angle grinder class. Not sure if there was anyone else that was talking about giving the said class.

We would also want to put adjustable feet on the tables. I think I have some acme threaded rod that might be up to the task. Or find some good quality feet.

2 Likes

Square tube easier to fit up.

Tim, I won’t be at Space today to make Metal Shop meeting, believe I gave you my proxy already. Put in the recommendation for the 1" anvil

Also let Chuck know that the Amazon order for the sand belts was cancelled because they were back-ordered and no due date. He’ll need another source.

Need input on which is preferred: 4’ x 6’ or 4’ x 8’? Then can calculate the rest material needed. Agreed foot adjustment is needed. While we won’t need it immediately, we’ll need to move that 120V electrical drop over the gray bench so it comes down over this new bench.

I had talked about working to develop (and take) a grinder class. The primary reason for it would be that from what I can surmise, the angle grinder is the single most common usage tool for metal shop work, and really a pre and post operation tool for things such as welding.

2 Likes

I put metal a sheet of 4x8 1/4 inch in the shop along with a 24ft 2x2 1/8 inch stick for the work benches in the shop last night it is marked.In case anyone would like to practice welding square tubing and or pipe along with some sheet metal and plate. I also put a new grinder in there that is marked tungsten only. It has also only been used for tungsten.

4 Likes

can’t make tonight’s committee meet but I’ll be there Thursday.
So we got the first HAAS class under our belts. 15 paid, 12 showed up. either way, that’s $500 to the committee (10% to the Haas fund, right?). next week’s is full as well. I’m going to try to get some small programs running on Thursday during tours. someone should be there to correct/inform the tour guides as most thought it was still the marathon classes for the Haas. cheers!

3 Likes

Probably @Adam_Oas would be “the one” as he’s the new PR chair, eh? Maybe he can disseminate…

1 Like

It was a great class. :slight_smile:

Having a program running on Thursday when we are giving tours would be great. I will say though that users projects should take precedence over showing the machine off. That said, we don’t really go into specifics on any particular class on the tours, as there are simply too many things to talk about and the tours are already rather long sometimes. It’s good for the guides to know, in case someone asks specifically, but in general, people don’t ask about specifics like that on the tours.

2 Likes

Yep, will order the repair parts. Walter has gotten the USB to Something Port in, one still hasn’t arrived.

$50 from Monthly Allocation (the 10%) + $50 from Committee portion of class Honorarium + $450 class fees = $550 allocated to HAAS Team

3 Likes

Jeremy- Thanks for thinking of DMS, but FYI donations or loans of equipment need to be approved before contributing those items to the 'space.

https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Rules_and_Policies#Loaning_of_Tools_.26_Equipment_To_The_Makerspace

2 Likes

We discussed these items last night in the metal shop meeting. Also getting a new tungsten grinder, I don’t remember him saying he was going to donate the grinder but lately my memory has not been it’s best. It’s kinda a dual committee thing if you think about it.

2 Likes

Ok. Just a reminder for everyone, then. Too many meetings to make them all! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Unfortunately, I doubt that the “Tungsten Only” will be observed by all members. Perhaps placing this grinder back by the Miller, on its own stand, would have any effect?

1 Like

Good idea to segregate it. Perhaps a canvas cover for it while not in use as well. On the cover, stencil in red, “TUNGSTEN USE ONLY”?

We are going to lock it up. But it only works if others put the lock back on.

3 Likes

RFID!
:slight_smile:

At the risk of becoming a broken record, please give some serious thought to my plea for having a small drawer at each table with the critical accessories. They will be more convenient to use, they are less likely to get broken or misplaced, and it will alleviate some of the clutter on the work surface.

To add to Zack’s comments:
You would good on the metal as we had discussed this here. The grinder was was an unexpected bonus. The reason members need to get permission before hand is several fold:

1. Make sure the committee needs or has room for the item.
  2. Need to know if donation or loan. There may be some hesitancy for loans, especially as we’ve grown more capable of purchasing items. The problem with loans is there an expectation that it be returned less fair wear and tear. However, some items get “Maker Abuse” and we end up having to repair or replace the the item.

We are in no way trying to discourage generous offerings like you’ve made. They are greatly appreciated - in fact I just brought in an 18" Height gauge to donate to Machine Shop’s collection of measuring tools … but I knew the Chair would accept the donation. :wink: ). People just drop stuff off and they may not be needed, hence the approval needed. I spoke to Chuck - Metal Shop would hate to insult your gift.

Need to have someone cut me a circular piece of acrylic for dial cover.

2 Likes

oh yeah! that is a nice addition. I was just thinking of one of those the other day.