Woodshop meeting agenda, and previous minutes on the wiki

I hate when my day job gets in the way of my leisure time

9 Likes

Oh yea I forgot about that proposed rule change where all committed meeting information including time place and specific information that’s up for discussion should be within easy access for all users and updated in a timely fashion in a timely manner, to promote open discussion, if I have to tag team woodshop to get that info that’s not really easily available for all, since the proposed rule was to make commties more facilitating or open discussion not 3 days away there’s not anything without easy access about what’s being talked about, and all the past 4 months minutes have poof! No where to be found

Ok where’s the one where new filters were voted on!? The one where shop stewards were brought up, the one where purchase of 2 replacement filter was voted on? The one where teachers and tool captains were voted on! They were there a couple weeks ago and now they’re gone! Plus you’ve said hey thanks to everyone who helped out this cleaning meeting day thanks for your help

We are all volunteers doing the best we can during a global pandemic while also working day jobs. Your never ending negativity about woodshop has gotten incredibly old. I really appreciate Ian and all of the chairs who are continuing to help despite burn out. I would suggest that you help out by running for chair but I personally wouldn’t vote to confirm you as chair due to your history of theft. So my suggestion is to cancel your membership:

• Click on Services
  • Click on My Services
    This page will list current memberships.
  • Click on the membership to be cancelled.
  • Click the red button labeled “Cancel”.
  • Please fill out the exit survey :slight_smile:

If PayPal is used to pay for membership it must be canceled separately by browsing to https://dallasmakerspace.org/unsubscribe

9 Likes

Ok where’s the one where new filters were voted on!?

• New filters for the felder? 1/16/21

The one where shop stewards were brought up,

• This idea has been suggested in many meetings, I don’t know that it’s been documented, or moved past a discussion of ‘this would be cool.’ Right now I’m hesitant to ask more of our active members as they help me keep the shop up and functioning and put in a lot of time doing that already. If we had more active members I would pursue this more.

the one where purchase of 2 replacement filter was voted on?

• I’m not sure what you’re looking for with this one?

The one where teachers and tool captains were voted on!

• There has been no vote on this topic. There was a vote in the 1/16 meeting to approve a CNC manager/teacher structure, but that has fallen by the wayside and now a few members are collectively managing that and trying to get it back up and running.

They were there a couple weeks ago and now they’re gone! Plus you’ve said hey thanks to everyone who helped out this cleaning meeting day thanks for your help

• I’m not sure what was where and has now disappeared. Are you referring to the wiki? It does look like some of the meetings whose minutes I uploaded are now missing. @jast ? I can reupload them as I still have my google docs with those but some of the context of those discussions will now be lost to the ethereal sands of memory.
5 Likes

Not sure where the minutes on the WIKI went, but here’s the google doc link for the may and June meetings.

MAY

JUNE

August I believe we had nothing to record for the committee meeting, we met and then went and cleaned the shop.

As I said above, it’s been a few months between meetings for the other ones.

If you searched the woodshop category, the posts for those meetings should still be around with the links to the google sheets I posted above as well. That’s probably what @jswilson64 was trying to say. For example, this post.

Also, tagging the people relevant to a discussion doesn’t hide the discussion from everyone else, it just makes it apparent to the people involved that they need to see it. Saying that tagging me or the category creates a lack of transparency or breaches the rules of the space is plainly incorrect.

6 Likes

@IanLee Thank you for not resigning the position despite your busy schedule. Plenty of us know how hard it is to find someone to chair this committee. You are appreciated.

5 Likes

I am going to say that’s the best course of action for having some minutes on the wiki.

Based purely on a cursory look @ the wiki logs I would be forced to say no changes were made therein for the woodshop for the calendar year 2021 except January and May. PM me if you can recall some specifics, and I can try to get a bit more forensic on it…

1 Like

History of thefts a bold claim, if I remember correctly that happened once in 06/2019, has there been a single instance since? I’ve had stuff stolen since but there’s not been on incident or grey area maybe he took it maybe he didn’t, so the fact you continue to label me with that means you’re more interested than looking at what I do than you are just slapping a narrative on me! If someone changes their way of behaving it serves no purpose to continue to slander people with terms that no longer fit! And If it’s considered negative to simple ask for what was an agenda item on your monthly meeting why am I taking the heat for it, I didn’t put it on the agenda, I didn’t come up with it! I just saw it and said ok that’s obviously trending in the direction of being a prerequisite to having meeting, and woodshop is a couple days away but I’ve been unable to find info! Nothing negative that’s again your narrative slapped onto what I say

Ha. It’s entirely possibly I thought I uploaded the minutes and failed to do so. I’ll get it taken care of.

4 Likes

@Chris_Fazio I do appreciate your drive to better DMS and the Woodshop’s organizational consistency and structure. The high expectations are good, and I also see areas for improvement. Specifically, the inability to use or get trained on the multicam has been an issue for me.

I would agree with @Julie-Harris in that our expectations for DMS cannot match those of a company with paid employees. If all the chair members were fully paid and did not have to focus on day jobs most of their week, I imagine all of your complaints would have been handled before they happened. A few hours in the evening and on weekends isn’t much time to manage such a large committee, and the woodshop is generally well supplied.

Since this is volunteer run, and the woodshop is one of the largest committee’s to chair, lets work with each other to improve, rather than attack those in the current oversight system. If you see a gap in the organization, ask @IanLee how you can serve and support. If meeting minutes are not being posted, offer to attend the meetings, take notes and supply them to the woodshop committee members somehow.

8 Likes

The link to access the agenda you have am to be approved to view, that’s not open to the public

Use your dms google account…

4 Likes

i always forget to use that one lol

It’s interesting that Chris is getting bollocked and told to quit his membership for doing essentially the same thing hon1nbo did in this thread: Recent Metal Shop Meeting Issues

Guess rank hath its privileges.

Oh my god your are my new messiah! Thank you If I say anything like that it’s useless but thank you thank you thank you for bringing light to the double standard

Sorry I forgot accessanle to the open public meant it had to be approved before it was viewable

Without having been involved in the August 3rd conversation you mentioned @spakula, I would agree that @Chris_Fazio doesn’t need to be told to quit his membership. Just to approach the gaps in the DMS Woodshop from looking to support the committee, rather than publicly rail on all the flaws with no offer to help.

Since we rely on voluntary contribution of members, I would say a mindset of helping each other will produce more than berating each other. On both sides. @Chris_Fazio shouldn’t be told to quite the space, or his past brought up, and pointing fingers at @hon1nbo is equally divisive and pointless. The blame game only tears organizations apart, and there is a lot of finger pointing, blame, and biting happening.

If anyone is offended, let go of it, everyone is human, everyone does wrong at some point/has weak spots, lets figure out how to move forward with flawed people and make the woodshop stronger. I don’t mean to lecture, its just weird seeing adults cat fight over blame and offense. I see the beginnings of the elements of division that is really destructive to the longevity of the shop, and I think the woodshop at DMS has a lot of potential.

3 Likes

good point and very eloquently put

All the google doc minutes I post are accessible to all members of DMS without approval if they open the document with their DMS google account. If you want to login to the document using your personal email you will need to request permission.

Public facing versions of the document that require no login should be uploaded on the wiki. Apparently I forgot to do that and I’ll get it taken care of.

3 Likes