Woodshop meeting agenda, and previous minutes on the wiki

Without having been involved in the August 3rd conversation you mentioned @spakula, I would agree that @Chris_Fazio doesn’t need to be told to quit his membership. Just to approach the gaps in the DMS Woodshop from looking to support the committee, rather than publicly rail on all the flaws with no offer to help.

Since we rely on voluntary contribution of members, I would say a mindset of helping each other will produce more than berating each other. On both sides. @Chris_Fazio shouldn’t be told to quite the space, or his past brought up, and pointing fingers at @hon1nbo is equally divisive and pointless. The blame game only tears organizations apart, and there is a lot of finger pointing, blame, and biting happening.

If anyone is offended, let go of it, everyone is human, everyone does wrong at some point/has weak spots, lets figure out how to move forward with flawed people and make the woodshop stronger. I don’t mean to lecture, its just weird seeing adults cat fight over blame and offense. I see the beginnings of the elements of division that is really destructive to the longevity of the shop, and I think the woodshop at DMS has a lot of potential.

3 Likes

good point and very eloquently put

All the google doc minutes I post are accessible to all members of DMS without approval if they open the document with their DMS google account. If you want to login to the document using your personal email you will need to request permission.

Public facing versions of the document that require no login should be uploaded on the wiki. Apparently I forgot to do that and I’ll get it taken care of.

3 Likes

To be transparent, I do this so that all DMS members can edit the google document I post pre-meeting that way if they wanted to add items to the agenda they could. If I made the document accessible to anyone in the world without a login, I cannot offer those same edit privileges.

4 Likes

Normally I don’t have a dog in woodshop stuff except when it affects the non-woodshop members (like chop saw and table saw access for non-woodworkers).

But I’d like to clarify something here:

The woodshop has been uploading minutes for things like Purchases and major changes just fine. I don’t like the way there isn’t as much public discussion on some things, but the teachers and people that maintain the machines are involved and that’s enough.

What has happened with the metal shop is a very different situation: minutes aren’t being posted at all (and I know how to find them), major changes to equipment being made without consulting the teachers of said equipment or the rest of the committee, and most committee members (even those extremely active) don’t know what’s going on anymore.

The issue with Chris here is that the information is there, but he doesn’t bother to read it.

All the important meetings with things like expensive purchases are there for example: Category:Woodshop Committee Meetings - Dallas Makerspace

So I fault Chris for choosing not to read them and demand to be spoon-fed the information.

EDIT: @spakula I see you joined the forum just this past hour to explicitly post that message. I’m unsure if you’re aware of the context, but Chris has a history of outbursts on this forum.

2 Likes

I agree but there’s a saying that rings true, sound leaders with good intentions are not worries about the few shouting their short comings, because they struggle to hear them over the masses screenings their successes! So this notion of the question is valid but because your didnt pm them directly is literally the antithesis of transparency so y’all can either say we operate transparently or you can admit we don’t an say not asking directly in private is an issue.

are you using voice to text?

In the spirit of trying to be helpful, I made the following updates to the wiki:

1. Edited the committee page to link to the category that contains minutes
    (EDIT: This may be a little hard to find. You have to actually read the committee rules to find it. I can make it easier to find if you’d like)
  2. Created a page for the June minutes and linked it to the google doc
  3. Added [category] to a couple pages of minutes so they will search correctly.

The May minutes do appear in the correct category so no action was needed for those.

If this is inappropriate, please let me know and I’ll reverse those edits.

8 Likes

Thank you thank you thank you!

So I had posted the may minutes but somehow didn’t put them on the minutes page?

1 Like

Yeah you were missing a category tag to go on the space-wide meeting list, but they show up on the specific wood shop meeting category

2 Likes