Last night @Mrksls2 took measurements of all the equipment we currently have in the Woodshop. This layout is an idea of what I have for the new woodshop layout. Please be critical! I will take no suggestions offensively, as I know we are all trying to make the DMS a better place.
These measurements are about 2 or 3 inches bigger on each side, which will allow for play in adjustments and space in between tools.
A few notes:
- Sanding Area: Walled off. I would guestimate that 75% of our dust comes from sanding, and walling off the area could allow for members to finish their projects without worry of dust interference. It will also help if there is a dedicated vacuum vent for the room itself, along with channels directly connected to each tool. The should also be a roll-up garage-like door in case we need to bring in a big piece. Or maybe double doors?
- Additional equipment: I’ve planned for a new:
- 5x5’ CNC Router Table (this is actually 6x6’ in the floorplan)
- Panel Saw
- 2 x Jet Lathes
- Multicam and New CNC tables have their respective desk/computers positioned to view the table at the appropriate X/Y axis.
- Tool storage is located in the center to allow ease of access for all members
- Addition of 150% more wood working tables
- I’m not sure what the Oneway is, I couldn’t read Mark’s handwriting.
- Back corner room is open if you guys have any ideas, other than secure storage. Right now it’s just being used as the PR office. Maybe a finishing/drying/painting area that is 100% dust free?
- Miter saw and Panel saws are located immediately next to the double door entrance to allow members to chop their wood upon arrival.
- There needs to be some sort of dust collection footprint or something? I remember someone talking about it being located on the floor to allow ease of changing the filters, otherwise it would never be changed. I have not put those in the plan, but it should be easy to add. Needs one for the CNCs for sure. Not sure how we’re planning those right now
- Might need to add some storage space for shop vacs. Could use tool storage or personal storage.
- One (or half) of the personal storage green boxes will need to be used for vertical storage.
- Another thing I did not plan: If instructors that will be teaching woodworking classes need to use the work tables. The tables are located adjacent to the Multicam, which may be very loud at times. I think the work tables should be moved further away. It would also help to keep the dust from the multicam to affect projects that are sensitive to dust.
Let me know what you think!
Send me an email at [email protected] if you want a copy of the AI file so that you can edit the layout as you feel necessary. Talk won’t allow me to upload AI files.