Woodshop basics/ plea for help

I have noticed there are no woodshop basics classes on the calendar. As a new member, the woodshop is one of the most attractive spaces at the space, and has a lot. I’ve been talking to people, and it seems I’m not the only person who is in need. Is there anybody out there who can save us from this dilemma?

4 Likes

There will be a Woodshop Basics class showing up on the calendar in the next day or two. It will be scheduled for 03/05/17 12:00 PM.

We also will be having a new volunteer Woodshop Basics teacher soon. He shadowed last nights WS Basics class in preparation for teaching.

9 Likes

I looked at the events calendar, and didn’t see a woodshop basics class on the schedule. I’d like to hopefully take a class in March. Would it be possible to do a class? Or rather a class for one member. I know that would be counterproductive.

Would love to start using the machines for some projects! Thanks!

I believe I’m in the right category, please correct me if I’m wrong.

Woodshop basics/ plea for help I think they take a bit to show up.

2 Likes

Awesome, thanks. I will set that in my calendar! Thanks!

1 Like

I find I have to make two calendar dates - one to look for the class on the events listing (which shows up 2 or 3 days after you hear about it on TALK), and another for the class itself.

Training classes fill up pretty quickly, so I try to keep up with it. But, I also have to weave it around my travel and other stuff.

I propose a lock-in tool training marathon weekend! I’ll bring the s’mores if I get to pick the dates. :smiley:

4 Likes

Occasionally classes don’t get listed to the correct category. People are human, after all. So don’t just filter for Wood working. Now that we know the correct date for the next class, be vigilent about searching for that date, too.

1 Like

I’d also be interested in a basic woodshed class!

There is another Woodshop Basics class coming up on Monday 2/27 at 7:30PM. Jump in quick!

https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/1883

There is another class that I mentioned earlier in the thread that still hasn’t shown up on the Calendar yet. It will be scheduled for 03/05/17 at Noon. I expect it to show up on the Calendar tomorrow morning before lunch.

I may shadow this class so I can add to the instructor pool.

1 Like

Still refreshing every ten minutes… (Can’t do the 27th, still crossing my fingers for the 5th.

Mainly want to be able to use the drill press without getting yelled at.

Don’t bother until 9:48 tomorrow morning. :wink:

2 Likes

Not sure of how the whole process works but I could also shadow in one of the classes if need be. I don’t know how often I’d be able to teach but I guess every bit helps.

Just a note for those wondering why Luke’s Monday class showed up before Chris’s Sunday 3/5 class. Chris’s class is setup for Honorarium, which has a rule requiring a 3 day (72 hour) wait to show up on the calendar. Luke, being a Board of Directors member, is ineligible for Honorariums, and setup his class without Honorarium. His class went into a queue that has a maximum 48 hour wait, but Calendar Admins can approve those classes before the 48 hours are up, which I did just before I posted about it above. I hope that clears up some of the confusion on why the 3/5 class is known (by Calendar Admins) but can’t be seen on the Calendar page yet.

3 Likes

Magic sauce. I’m beginning to give in and just realize some things simply defy explanation at DMS.

But yours was most appreciated.

Yeah, the Honorarium thing is weird, and my personal opinion is that classes like Woodshop Basics and other required classes should be able to be fast-tracked, but the BoD set those rules, and has some good arguments for them, so I don’t gripe too loud about it. :wink:

I feel like I’m waiting to buy tickets on Ticketmaster… :wink:

The 3/5 Noon class is live now

https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/1856

1 Like

There will be another Woodshop Basics class on Wed. 03/08/17 7:00 PM. It won’t show up on the calendar until about 9pm this Friday night.

I never liked the woodshed… Being taken out there usually involved a spanking with switches when I was growing up. :open_mouth: