Woodshop basics/ plea for help

Some people might like that.

:smiling_imp:

3 Likes

Hey there! I was unable to sign up for either of the “new” Woodshop basics classes listed in the past 2 days. I will try to fly standby on those but, are there any other ones in the works so I can get in while the getting is good? Really looking forward to using the shop!

There will be another Woodshop Basics class on Wed. 03/08/17 at 7:00 PM. It won’t show up on the calendar until 8:51 PM tonight.

You will need to login to the event calendar at https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/ to register for the class… after 8:51 tonight.

Wow, I just joined the Makerspace for the wood shop, but now I need to wait a couple weeks for the class. Is this a standard load, or just a one-off occurrence?

If this is normal, I could pitch in to learn and run some additional classes once I eventually get through mine :slight_smile:

1 Like

It goes in waves but two of out primary teachers have been out sick lately. They are back now and we are ramping the classes back up. We are always looking for teachers! Would love the help.

Cool. What do I need to do to become a teacher? I don’t see anything on the Wiki at first glance.

Usually attend the class yourself as a student then shadow a class as a teacher. Hang around the woodshop a bit and you’ll get to know the other instructors and woodshop committee members who can help familiarize you with how the wood shop is run. I’ll be at the space tonight if you want to talk further look for the tall guy named Matt.

Have you been able to sign up for any other classes? You might want to try signing up for a something else (and then cancel immediately if you don’t really want that class) just to make sure you have the ability to enroll in classes. (There can be issues if emails don’t match). The Woodshop Basics class will fill very quickly so you don’t want to find out at 8:52pm that you have a problem enrolling in classes in general.

1 Like

I just checked that I can sign up for classes. Thanks for the advice, John!

1 Like

I have been able to sign up for other classes. Thanks for the advice. I will be ready at 8:51! thanks.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m back in the saddle again, so you should see WB classes being added soon. Another one coming out of queue soon for Wednesday March 1 at 7pm.

After the weekend, you can expect to see several more in short order.

2 Likes

Wednesday 3/1/17 at 7PM is live:
https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/1900

1 Like

More to follow soon.

I agree with this. On classes required to use tools, which often get repeated many many times, honorarium approval is pro forma anyway, and it seems reasonable to allow expedited approvals - which would allow us to schedule these important classes when moments of opportunity show up. As it is, we either teach them free (meaning the shop gets nothing), or wait a week and a half. At times like now, where we have temporary availability problems, the rule works against the best interests of the Space, not for it.

I generally agree with the honorarium rules, but in this instance, a change is merited (but only for “must teach” classes, that have long been vetted otherwise. WS Basics, Lathe Basics, Laser Basics, Welding safety, etc.

1 Like

I second (or third or tenth) the plea for more basics classes. I am a new member and need it to get started. :violin:

We’ve added several, and will be adding more. There was a class Monday night, another class tonight, a class this weekend, and another class next wednesday. I believe the opportunity is there.

2 Likes

Well - looks like all classes are full that are on the calendar. I guess I’ll have to keep monitoring for a new one.

There will be another Woodshop Basics class on Mon Mar 13 7pm - 9pm, but it will not show up on the calendar until Saturday around 6PM.

2 Likes

I’ve had very good luck with sometimes full classes with the suggestion of “flying standby” meaning if it works for you, show up a little early and let the instructor know that if there’s a no-show (common) that you’d be interested in filling that spot. And if no spots, I just had alternate plans I could do. So far I’ve had good luck doing this though.

Since this class is a prerequisite for others, I’d be sure that if you fly standby that you do get set up for the credit (instructor would have to do I think). I think the system is set up to make that easier now, but good to make sure.

3 Likes

Currently scheduled Woodshop Basics classes:

Mon Mar 13 7pm — 9pm (FULL)
Wed Mar 22 7pm — 9:30pm (FULL)
Sat Mar 25 10am — 1pm (5 spaces, will show up 3/14/17 before lunch)

2 Likes
Wed Mar 22  7pm — 9:30pm Full
Sat Mar 25 10am — 1:00pm 3 open spaces
Mon Mar 27  7pm — 9:30pm Upcoming (5 spaces)
Tue Mar 28  7pm — 9:30pm Upcoming (5 spaces)
Wed Mar 29  7pm — 9:30pm Upcoming (5 spaces)

The upcoming classes, Mar 27, 28, and 29 won’t show up on the calendar until about 11am on Friday 3/17.

2 Likes