Woodshop Basics - Class Announcements and Discussion

I’d hope that Woodshop Committee Chairperson or a delegate (i.e. woodshop basics teacher) could provide individual dispensation on a case-by-case as necessary.

It goes without saying (except that I am saying/writing it) that the last thing we need is to have to pass everyone through W/B class again just to satisfy a new class registration system technical requirement.

@John_Marlow @MathewBusby @mblatz

That is a great question that we have all gone back and forth about… There have been a bunch of different suggestions, but now that all the names are in the system I think it’s time to make a final decision once and for all. (HUGE THANK YOU to @Tapper and @AlexRhodes for stepping up and helping with those names!)

There is no way that we are going to come to a solution that makes everyone happy, but I suggest we make ot a topic for the next woodshop committee meeting or even just setup a small discussion in one of the lecture halls this week or next. I’m open to do whatever we need to settle this and move forward ASAP.

I’m apparently having the same problem: I cant complete the sign up for the new Router class because it’s saying I’m not verified as having had the Woodshop Basics class. I took this class in January with Tom Cook (I think that was his name, long crazy hair, looked like a Viking - no offense meant).

Can someone double-check the rolls and verify me so that I can finish sign-up? Is there anything else I need to do so that the class sign-up will let me register for classes? Thanks for your help.

2 Likes

We’ve entered in all the sign up sheets we have. Its completely possible a few were lost or misplaced. You might see if Tom remembers you, and ask him to contact me.

What was the determination on this? Can you grant dispensation on a case by case basis? I took the original class from Alex. Maybe @AlexRhodes can vouch for me. It sure seems to me that this is an impediment to a number of people who love woodworking and have used the wood shop extensively already. It is probably the single biggest reason I joined DMS.
Please add me to the list by Thursday if possible since I’m supposed to complete my hand plane building class then.

1 Like