Wood Lathe Class

Good morning,

I was trying to see if anyone had any interest in teaching a lathe class soon? I managed to get into the Woodshop Basics course on Saturday but I would really like to learn the lathe as well and did not see on the calendar. Is this taught often, or more like 1-on-1 instruction?

Thanks!
Jeremy

I would be interesting in taking a lathe class as well.

Michael

You should seek out Chandra. She teaches a lot of lathe classes. Frequently she can be found in the woodshop later in the evenings. She doesnā€™t TALK.

2 Likes

Thank you for the info! Iā€™ll see if I can flag her down at some point in the near future. =)

I would be very interested in ā€˜takingā€™ both a woodshop basics class and a wood lathe class.

I remember seeing a wood lathe spindle turning class upcoming that Chandraā€™s teaching in later eveningā€¦

[edit]
Ah, found it. DIY wands :slight_smile: but it might whet your appetite until a lathe basics gets on there. I donā€™t see prerequisite (sometimes these dedicated classes, like the toy top one awhile back) donā€™t require (I guess folded into whatā€™s covered)

Caveat: Youā€™d still need lathe basics to work independently I assume

Here is link:
https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/2813

Hey, thanks!
That would be my question - would that fulfill the requirement for independent lathe working afterwards? Iā€™m not sure how stringent these things are.

Thatā€™d be a question for the @Team_Woodshop folks.

My strong ~guess~ is you likely would need the basics class since there might be deeper details than would fold into a project class

That being said, if they know folks are needing a lathe basics and nothing on calendar, maybe something can be rustled up. Thatā€™s often how things work that are not regular often-training classes (clumps of interested folks appear and so something gets scheduled or someone will do a one-on-one depending)

1 Like

I can teach a lathe basics class the weekend of 7/8. But, I have just shadowed one LB class with Jeff and need @jlcourtman @talkers or another qualifying instructor to attend to make sure I cover all the bases. Anybody up? Once I get that taken care of Iā€™ll put a few more on the calendar and get some traditional gouge classes going.
@Team_Woodshop

2 Likes

Iā€™m definitely available that weekend!

Once you are cleared for Basics you have full access to the lathes. Itā€™s a good idea to be confident and know what you are doing before taking on projects on the large lathes as the will promptly kick your ass. Also, if using house gouges or the grinder, make sure you know how the jigs work, etc. Thatā€™s typically more of a one-on-one vs a separate class.

2 Likes

Definitely be down for that. I take Woodshop Basics tomorrow morning, so Iā€™m sure Iā€™ll be seeing a lot more of yaā€™ll coming up.

I would love a gouge class. Iā€™ve forgotten what Iā€™ve learned, and I have some beautiful exotic turning blanks just yearning to become projects.

1 Like

Stuart Batty has some very good fundamental videos on Vimeo. There are a
lot of videos out there that focus on projects, but I like that he focuses
on the basics like body and foot position, grain orientation, etc. Good
stuff here: https://vimeo.com/woodturning

3 Likes

Iā€™ll second Stuart Blatty, and also recommend Lyle Jamiesonā€™s very comprehensive and well produced sequence of videos/instruction: https://www.youtube.com/user/JamiesonLyle/videos?sort=da. (LJ also has the @jlcourtman seal of approval, I believe)

2 Likes

i want to take the lathe class asap.

I plan on signing up for the next wood lathe class.

The University of YouTube definitely helps, but nothing really serves as an adequate analogue for experiential learning.

1 Like

Any of the ā€œbasicā€ classes qualifies you to use the lathes at your leisure. Chandraā€™s tend to be project focused; the ones I have taught are more about, well, the basics: of spindle turning (leg of a table) and faceplate (bowl). But either of them will do. As Ryan and Marshall pointed out, there is some really excellent stuff on the web.

As a personal aside? Spending a couple of hours on basics really doesnā€™t ā€œqualifyā€ us to do anything, except have permission to dive in and really learn :).

Ryan, I can attend on the 8th but you are probably just fine -
Iā€™ve been remiss (and a little burned out) on teaching lathe basics but I guess itā€™s time to jump back in :).

6 Likes

I put a basics class on the schedule for the 8th at 10am. Should show up in 3 days if there are no exceptions.

2 Likes

I was going to volunteer to shadow you, but 10am :sleepy:. Thanks @jlcourtman for stepping up again.