Wilson II Kit - From unboxing to printing in under 24 hours

I purchased and built the Wilson II RepRap kit from here: https://www.tindie.com/products/mjrice/reprap-wilson-ii-complete-3d-printer-kit/

I came to know about the Wilson II Reprap from @hasbridge While he choose to source parts himself and print all the plastic parts, I was a little less patient and bought one of the complete kits from Marty.

As others have posted in the reviews, the kit was very thoughtfully packed, with individual boxes for plastic parts, frame components, electronics, fasteners, build plate, and some extra parts.

The first thing I did upon unpacking was to review the list of all the plastic parts, familiarizing myself with what goes where. Next, I dumped out all the screws, nuts, washers, springs and other fasteners and organized by size into small bins. This took about 10 minutes, but probably saved me an hour or so when it came time to assemble.

Assembly was quick and rather fun, while following along with Marty’s videos. I was able to complete the frame assembly (videos 1-3) in about 6 hours last night, and then spent another 4-5 hours today with wiring the system up, spending extra time to braid all the cables and do cable management.

Challenges

• The set screw from the (M7?) extruder pulley didn’t make it into my kit - I’m sure it fell out either before or after shipping. Luckly, I have a friend with an arsenal of fasteners and he had plenty of M4 set screws
  • The new rack & pinion bed leveling mechanism ls really cool, however, when retracting (X-carriage slides all the way to the right), the arm wasn’t fully retracting. It looks like the rack could a few more mm in length. I superglued a spare nut to the right end of the rack and fixed that problem.
  • The heated build plate looks like it’s going to have a hard time getting high enough for ABS (100-110 is what I’ve used on other printers). I eventually gave up on waiting for it to heat after 15 minutes and settled for 95F
  • Z-Offset: I had to set the Z-Offset from the default of 11 to about 12.2 in order to get the first layer to the right height. I set this via the LCD interface, but I think I need to change it in the Marlin code as well to make it permanent.
  • I was a bit confused on the wiring for the power switch, as the one shown in the video is a 4-pin and mine was only a 3-pin. I was able to figure it out, and it works okay - however I did manage to separate one of the wires from it’s crimp connector, and wasn’t able to get it re-crimped. I ended up just solding that wire directly to the power switch, which works fine.

Tuning & Settings

• The Arduino Mega is preloaded with Marty’s fork of Marlin and already has all the settings required for the components he included in the kit
  • I’ve installed Pronterface for control and Cura for slicing.
  • This is my first time using Cura, so I don’t know my way around it too well yet, but I’m using the settings supplied by Marty:
  • https://github.com/mjrice/Wilson2/blob/master/doc/

Next Steps

• I plan to build an enclosure to help prevent warping with larger ABS parts. I’ll likely lasercut a case using MDF at the Dallas Makerspace
  • I’ll be installing a Raspberry Pi with Octoprint to communicate with the printer and allow me to control via a web interface.

Pictures/Video

Video: https://www.facebook.com/nickmccarthy/videos/10101143317065419/?l=6286095791554862287

7 Likes

I saw the reply on the Wilson forums about insulating the heated bed. Are you going to try it? I’m really curious if that’ll solve it. That might be the thing that finally puts me over the edge on buying one.

I still want to see someone use aerogel to insulate their bed :slight_smile:

Wow, very well documented, I’m glad you were able to build it so quickly, I’m a little jealous since I’ve ran into several issues building my Mendel90 from scratch. I love that you get an extra 100mm of build space on the Y axis, that would really help.

I’ll add this kit to my list of recommended printer kits to suggest to people.

I covered the underside of my heatbed with pipe insulation tape, and it dramatically reduced warm-up time. I used Frost King pipe insulation tape from Home Depot:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/E-O-2-in-x-15-ft-Foam-and-Foil-Pipe-Wrap-Insulation-Tape-FV15H/100174724

Basically just cut it into strips, and cover the entire underside of the heatbed.

2 Likes

@Mitch_McDaniel

I’ve ordered some cork board I was planning to use for insulation, although, I’m liking the idea of Harold’s technique.

In addition, I plan the following:

I may also try using PETG filament instead of ABS for some parts

@themitch22

Thanks - I couldn’t have done it if this kit wasn’t so thorough and complete.

@hasbridge That insulation looks great! Can you send me your laser cut plans for your enclosure?

I’ve also setup OctoPrint on a spare Raspberry Pi 2, and have been able to control & monitor a print job from my office. I connected the 3D printer’s power cord to a spare appliance module for my home automation system, and after the print, I can remotely turn the machine off (or, I can even program it to turn itself off…)

I’m using an SSH tunnel to securely access the OctoPi remotely.

3 Likes

Did you see the post on Hackaday? http://hackaday.com/2015/09/09/aerogel-insulation-for-3d-printers/

1 Like

Very slick! I’m looking forward to doing this as well. How reliably are you getting your prints to stick and finish while away?

Prints are sticking pretty well, even with the glass build plate only at 80-90c. I have used a glue stick on the glass to help.

One weird thing I’ve noticed is, when starting a print, it takes about 10 seconds in for material to start coming out of my extruder. Until I can figure out why, I’ve worked around this by adding 2-3 skirts, so it’ll kick in during a skirt and I won’t miss laying down material for my part.

Are you using Slic3r perhaps? I was reading about that exact problem just the other day.

Great write up!

Can you upload the video to YouTube or Google drive? I don’t have a Facebook account.

Harold, that foam tape is a neat idea, but the Frost King guys on that
product page say that it is not suitable for temps typical of ABS beds
(110C). Are you printing ABS?

Yes, and it’s holding up fine at 105C. I got the idea from the reprap forums, many other people have used it without any problems.

My heated build plate came with fiberglass insulation tape. It might be harder to find but it works. Worst case is cardboard wrapped with aluminum foil tape.

I started using Cura, but I’m currently testing out a new slicing tool called CraftWare. You can see more about it’s performance vs other slicers here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USA29CuYOvk

1 Like

Video is also in my Dropbox, here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/wbx9wmo8auyt1vu/2016-03-29%2020.56.21.mp4?dl=0

1 Like

Ahh ok. There apparently is something in slic3r that causes that. Was just curious if it was printer or software related.

@themitch22 & @hasbridge: So, I’ve tested building on top of blue painters tape, and it’s working great! Parts stick just a little too well (part peeling tool is on order), and I’ve seen no warping, even with a larger print (Raspberry Pi case)

The bottom of parts have a really pleasing matte texture from the tape

• Material: ABS
  • Build Plate Temp: 85c
  • Hot End Temp: 230c
  • Surface: Blue painter’s tape on glass build plate

2 Likes

That’s really clean! What speeds did you use? Are you using retraction at all?

Looks nice. There’s a leathery quality to blue painters tape. I am looking at just buying some Buildtak to try out.

I’m wondering if you will take the plunge to get Simplify3D. Cura does pretty much all I want to do so far, but I know Craftware does custom supports like Simplify3D.