What's in your DMS Carry Bag?

Got the box, just need the contents.

12 Likes

Slots into a 0.50 ammo can? Neat.

I got about a third of the way through designing a sort of … powerbank … using some big restaurant payment tablet batteries (~50Wh each) I scammed some time back that would slot into a 0.50 ammo can. Perhaps I should finish that concept.

1 Like

This is glorious! …

1 Like

I watched the video yesterday and plan on purchasing pattern also. Thinking sail cloth and leather bottom for mine, but will see what happens

2 Likes

This sounds more like stuff you forgot to unpack from the Makerspace. :smiley:

7 Likes

somehow this has become one of my favorite threads.

2 Likes

I’d heart that on Talk.

You all are great. Your replies helped me make my own list of stuff. I’ll post a list and pic when it’s complete. Thanks all!

I have a jewelry/small metals/woodworking bag - messenger style

1. Doming block
  2. Ring mandrel
  3. Wire-working pliers
  4. Smaller hammers
  5. Digital calipers
  6. Mechanical pencils
  7. Sharpies

a leatherworking backpack

• Punches
  • Needles and waxed thread
  • Nylon hammer
  • leather wing divider
  • Project leather
  • Multiple sizes rivets/grommets
  • Sharpies

and a blacksmithing bag - large canvas tool bag via HD/Lowe’s/HF

• Hammers
  • Tongs (multiple)
  • Files / wire brushes
  • mini swage block
  • bending fork
  • multiple punches
  • nail header
  • soapstone for marking
  • Sharpies

Saftey glasses / ear protection stay in DMS bin.
IPad / notebook moves as needed.

Which one I bring depends on my planned project for the day.

1 Like

That looks like it could scale up nicely for a 40mm can.

What I carry depends on what I bring. In general, I prefer something that is carried with some type of over-the-shoulder strap or backpack arrangement (vs. just a hand-carry).

If I am heavy on metal tools/hand tools, then I like something that is at least partly rigid on the base to keep stuff from all piling together in the center.

Meandering OT here…

I think that work sort of interfered with those plans.

Got a dozen batteries for older iterations of Ziosk tablets that are some sort of 2S arrangement (7.2V nominal / 52.56Wh faceplate, we’ll say 7.3Ah because that’s a really convenient number), presumably LiPo since they’re pretty flat) and a charger. Thought I’d put them in pairs to get 16.8V - 12V nominal voltage which Should™ be a reasonably-acceptable range for a number of automotive-esque accessories. Assuming there’s actually room for a dozen of the things plus other innards (USB power, 12V conversion for things that really and truly want 12V DC, a smaller inverter) seemed like something that could provide reasonable juice for almost anything for 4-8 hours. Could even load it up with pairs of batteries depending on how much juice I want to carry / provide.

Got so far as sketching out the internal support structures then … other things happened. I recall that 4 pairs of batteries was somewhat more convenient than 6.

Really need to devise some sort of test for the batteries before sinking any more effort into this. They’re clearly old and have been allowed to fully self-discharge more than once while in my possession. Other than a presumption that they can run a lower-capability ~8" tablet for roughly an entire shift and periodically print thermal receipts I have no idea how much discharge they can handle.

Perhaps this thought that occurred to me after wrote all this also occurred to me at the time - Why put all that effort into possibly old-and-busted parts when you could get more of a Sure Thing™ with new 18650s that’s easier to maintain over time?

1 Like

Used to be finance committee forms and your buckets of cash. At least DMS’s bank doesn’t think I’m a crack dealer anymore.

5 Likes

True. Always brought in for deposit after a weekend. Probably figured you were a pole dancer at some club.

5 Likes

3 Likes

That would be a sight that cannot be unseen!

Surprisingly there were a stunning about of single dollars. No wonder she thought I was a dancer or pimp.

1 Like

It’s possible to unsee anything once in your life. It’s the side-effects that are most vexing.

1 Like

When ever anyone asks about EDC my mind instantly thinks Urban exploration, grey man, and the like. So while not exactly everything is ever on my person at one time but this is based on my usual EDC.

Basically its centered around the midori notebook and android mobile. While having a few “Disney green” shemaghs around is very helpful. Just about everything fits into the Men’s Waist Bag which can double as a shoulder bag… One can easily tie up the shemagh into a bag using Furoshiki and everything just fits in there without much notice while there’s also a few extras for getting out of trouble.

I’m kinda leery of celebrity-branded tools and gear, even from Adam Savage. That kind of stuff tends to be long on cool features but short on durability, and I beat the holy living hell of of my gear bags.

I use these for house calls to help friends and family with things, too so it’s pretty exhaustive:

• 24-inch steel toolbox full of hand tools. Weighs a godawful 60lbs but it keeps me from digging around Auto looking for the 10mm someone didn’t put back.

• Homeless Despot cheapo nylon tool bag with small items like greases, adhesives, tiny screwdrivers, multimeter, and other things that don’t coexist well with wrenches, ratchets, and vise grips.

• Backpack for laptop and personal items.

I’d love to get a Veto Pro Pac for organizing small items but they are WAY too expensive for a hobbyist.

Ive had one for several years & honestly in my opinion is a PITA. The pockets aren’t quite right on them. Mine is 70-80lbs

When going far I use a toolpak. Ive had it for 16 years. It was 200$ then.
http://www.toolpak.com
I have a buddy who got a CLC backpack at the same time, his lasted a year before it busted the zipper while going up a scuddle hole. We still laugh about that.

1 Like