What's in your DMS Carry Bag?

Adam Savage just released plans for two styles of EDC bags. I’m a huge fan, so I bought them both of course, and it has me thinking about making a DMS Bag. I’ve been using either a bin, or a gym bag, but the idea of a bag specifically for stuff I take to DMS is appealing.

So I have some questions for you all.

Do you carry a bag or case to DMS with your own personal tools? If you do, what’s in it? What do you love, and what do you wish it had? I’m asking to understand what other makers do to prompt me in designing my own.

8 Likes

Typically keep PPE, small measuring tools, small worklights, and other highly DMS-specific stuff in my bin. Work backpack has the work laptop, personal laptop, USB charging kit, raingear, work gloves, flashlights, batteries, etc.

2 Likes

Sounds like it will depend on what you are into.
I would like to have one that can hold a couple of pairs of goggles/safety glasse, a separate compartment for a pair of sturdy gloves, a “dirty compartment” for whatever, apart from the main compartment that’s more generic/multi-purpose.

2 Likes

I use a tool bag I salvaged from someone’s trash pile down the alley from my house :slight_smile: I always bring eye and hearing protection and work gloves, a dust mask if I have any, a couple of pens and pencils and a notebook, and a utility knife or two. My bag has a metal clip for a tape measure so I usually clip mine on there as well. Oh and a handful of blue nitrile gloves. After that it depends on what I’m coming up to the space for.

1 Like

Calipers. Fountain pen. Two half-sheet sized pads of good paper. Sharpie. Eye protection. Respirator. Lots of loose 3D printed plastic parts from various experiments. Laptop. Small polypropylene bottles with screw caps.

When I’m using the MultiCam: end-mills and plastic sheet.

1 Like

Lately I’ve been carrying a backpack style laptop bag. Mostly because I’ve been bringing my laptop and mouse up more times than not, partially due to the odd Photoshop issues on the PCs around the space and also so I can easily see the design sheets when I was practicing embroidery.

Prior to having a personal storage bin in the galley I also carried PPE (e.g., safety glasses, gloves, masks, ear plugs) with me each time just in case I needed them.

Bits and bobs:

• thumb drive (attached to rfid badge)
  • charging cable
  • knife
  • pen/paper
  • headphones (usually bluetooth)
  • ID badge holder than has my RFID keychain on it
  • water bottle

Sometimes carried (usually depending on what my ‘backup’ project is):

• towel/rag
  • jewelry findings
  • test fabric
  • box to take stuff home I don’t want bent or just tossed in a bag (decals, ceramics, etc)
1 Like

Depends on what I am working on, but mostly exotic wood spindles, cobalt drill bits, sandpaper, carnauba wax, a buffing wheel, and my roughing gouge (M42 tool steel baby!). Safety glasses, breathing mask, and snacks are in my storage bin.

2 Likes

Mines a leather messenger back I’ve had since high school.
Sketchbook, notebook x2, sandpaper, respirator, pencil case with assorted pencils/files/tweezers/flat edge clippers, Chromebook, mouse, headphones, pen blanks, headphones, jump rings, pliers, box cutter, stamp carving medium, USB c cable, magic commander deck, copper wire, sharpie and some vegtan scrap.

I like the separate slots in the bag and the zipper pouch on the fold over cover. I just want it to be a bit bigger and the strap a little longer.

1 Like

If anyone wants to steal my bag there’s what’s available lol

2 Likes

Laptop + cables
dead mouse (not that kind)
carabiners
nametag magnets
laser engraved nametags
travel book
Laser class boxes I haven’t assembled yet.
notecards for printmaking
wristlet
laser engraved insulated tumbler
MP3 player and earphones
lots of pens, pencils, thumb drives, bits and pieces of stuff.

2 Likes

I always have my laptop and a mouse with me but for the DMS I always bring my mobile tool box, I keep all the tools and consumables that use when working on a project. I like having all the stuff so I don’t have to go hunting them down around the space.

13 Likes

You’ll able to use front door when we get 102.

3 Likes

I bring my own jewelry tool’s and brushes. I need to get a cubby or I’ve been considering running a rolling shelfy thing on the multicam. A girls shoulder does get quite tired and it’d be nice to pop it in and out of the pickup easily

I have been looking for a bag that I can keep a computer and the small amount tools I want to bring. I like @frank_lima solution with that well orgonized case. I want something small enough but robust enough. Notepads pens marking tools endmills still peicing it together

Franks system allows you to keep adding until you can’t either lift/move it or vehicle capacity is exceeded.

do you have a lift gate … there’s always something else you want to bring with you.

Yep :smiley:

It is the Dewalt TSTAK system:

I really love the customizability so you can change the setup to work for the tools you run.

1 Like

I carry Adam Savage and my twin boys in my bag.

8 Likes

And plastic chains???

I have generic bags a friend gave me after my gear shed got flooded.

Working on a new one.

Generally I keep various measuring and marking equipment, basic screw drivers and torx and Allen keys, multitool, spare batteries, head lamp, ppe, all my electronics, graph notebook, sewing tools (thread snips, large fabric scissors, rotary cutter, the black paper clip things, pins, chalk, hemming ruler, seam gauge, etc).

Negative. Just a little tacoma.