What's Cooking: Summer-long Feast Edition!

Side note, if anyone wants to get into cooking and needs a good place to start, I’d recommend The Food Lab by J. Kenji Lopez Alt. Kenji approaches cooking in a methodical and process oriented way, where he does a lot of experiments to debunk kitchen myths ( as an example, searing meat does not lock in the juices of a steak, contrary to popular belief). He also has good guides on knife technique, how to stock your kitchen, etc.

It’s about 25 bucks on amazon, and is definitely worth the read, though it is a massive book.

3 Likes

I put the book in my to buy wish list on Amazon, but I found this website on the Food Lab, too.

1 Like

Kenji has a lot of articles on Serious Eats under the same name and a YouTube channel where he posts a lot of videos. The book is just a really good centralized repository of his work.

1 Like

I use a 10” chicken-fryer style Dutch oven for mine (deep and lidded like a Dutch oven, but with a long handle like a skillet).

7 Likes

Was craving something sweet and terrible yesterday so baked some old fashioned shortbread. It ain’t pretty but it sure is delicious

9 Likes

Decided to grow peppers this year. Made several wicking planters out of nested, food-grade 5-Gal. buckets, some PVC, and a DIY wicking basket made from various food-grade containers.

Here’s the farm-to-table photos, which resulted in roasted Italian Jimmy Nardello peppers and Bell peppers for our 4th of July dinner.

9 Likes

How tall are thos plants (including buckets) overall?

Approx. 4-1/2 feet tall. People do these on apartment patios all the time,

2 Likes

Made a Blue Takis and Flamin’ Hot Cheetos Mac for the 4th yesterday and grilled some burgers!

Wish I took a photo after it went through the oven but everyone was super hungry including me so I forgot.

6 Likes

care to share some of your starter?

Sure. I’ll send you a PM.

You might also look into Carl’s Friends. Carl Griffith was an avid sourdough advocate who shared his sourdough starter widely. After he passed, his friends decided to keep his tradition alive.

If you mail them a self addressed stamped envelope, they’ll mail you some dried starter which has been kept going since it crossed the US on the Oregon Trail in 1847.

http://carlsfriends.net/

2 Likes

Didn’t they have dysentery issues on that trail…? :smiley:

I’ve been working on a starter since seeing your bread a few weeks ago. So far so good. What is your recipe for that loaf Mike?

The Oregon Trail starter sounds amazing btw

1 Like

The recipe has kinda evolved over time, so it’s a mismash of metric and imperial measurements. Apologies in advance.

Sourdough Rustic Loaf
—-

50g starter
50g water
50g AP flour (I like King Arthur brand)

Combine well in a large bowl. Cover and leave on countertop overnight. You can skip this step if the starter has recently been fed - just use 150g of fed starter instead.

Starter should be bubbly and smell yeasty before proceeding.

Next morning, add:

1-1/4 cups water
1 lb AP flour
1 tsp salt

Stir with wooden spoon to combine. Knead 6-8 times in the bowl to consolidate and cover bowl with plastic wrap.

Let rise about four hours, “pulling” the dough ball at the 1 and 2 hour mark to refine the crumb. Dough should double in size.

Preheat oven and a 10” (or 12”) Dutch oven with lid for 30 mins @425.

While oven heats up, turn out dough on floured cutting board (or countertop), and gently shape into a ball. Don’t punch down, don’t knead heavily - just cup dough ball with hands and tuck in the bottom, rounding up the sides.

Optional: brush with egg and sprinkle on 1-2 tsp Za’ataar seasoning for a cool look and nice - albeit non-traditional - flavor. @childofthehorn introduced me to this most excellent addition.

Optional: instead, sprinkling on some flour before cutting also adds visual interest (no egg wash needed).

Score top of loaf with razor blade/lame or sharp knife. I usually just do an X, but a crescent cut or carving in fancy leaves is an option. Cutting a little deeper allows “ears” to develop as it bakes. Don’t skip this step: cutting these grooves allows for a bigger rise while it cooks - they act as expansion joints.

Remove hot Dutch oven from oven, remove lid, drop in dough, replace lid and return to oven.

(No anti-stick oil/spray/parchment paper/etc needed: the hot pan will dry the bottom of the loaf immediately and it wont stick).

Bake 30 min with lid on, then remove lid and bake and additional 15-20 min, or until desired color achieved. Thumping the loaf at this point should sound hollow. When in doubt, give it a few more minutes to avoid a gummy interior.

Tip out onto cooling rack: enjoy the snap, crackle, pop as the bread cools.

Eating warm bread with butter is awesome, but let it cool at least 15 min before slicing, as the carryover heat will continue to cook the loaf for a bit after removal from the oven.

4 Likes

I just sent off for some. This should be fun. I love sourdough and this makes for a remarkable history lesson. Thanks for sharing this.

1 Like

One thing to keep in mind is that any starter culture is going to eventually take on the dominant lactic acid bacteria and yeast culture in the geographic vicinity of the jar of starter. The ‘critters’ in the starter will quickly shift to the dominant bacteria and yeast in your backyard.

That’s why buying a ‘San Francisco’ sourdough starter and trying to maintain it in Dallas will likely result in a starter full of ‘Dallas area critters’ after a while. Lactobacillus sanfranciscensis grows great the the Bay Area, but in Dallas, it’s quickly displaced after 5-10 feedings of local area flour.

1 Like

I’m certain you are correct, but frankly for the cost of two forever stamps and a couple of envelopes I think the idea of starter from the Oregon Trail, no matter the “critters” is pretty cool.

I’ll see how it goes. I made my own starter many years ago and it was fun, too. Sourdough is just a great bread altogether.

3 Likes

For sure. My starter has flour in it from around the country, including San Francisco. It’s fun to play with, regardless.

1 Like

Hell’s Bells! No apology needed, I say! EZ to understand why it is the way it is. Thank you for sharing!

I wasn’t expecting this the first time I got it…
Now, I’m disappointed when i don’t get it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This describes my daily life lol.

Thanks for all that info, i will try it out later today

2 Likes