What's Cookin? February culinary appreciation thread

Its actually about 4g per serving, assuming 6 servings in the batch (and that’s what we got). So I had 2 sloppy joes (8g), and 4 slices of sola bread (8g), so 16g total. My limit is 30g/day so that’s an acceptable meal.

Edit: One of the things to remember is that having a lot of ingredients with small amounts of carbs can add up. Onions, garlic, peppers, a lot of seasonings all have stray carbs (1g here, 1/2g there) and when you’re using ALL of those things (like in this recipe) it can add up quickly.

2 Likes

Just starting Keto thanks for the recipe and website

2 Likes

No worries! I know its not everybody’s thing, so I try not to share the stuff that’s super keto specific. I would easily make this recipe were I not keto, so I figured it was a good one to share.

If you’re not aware of it already, I highly recommend Keto Chow. I’ve always been really skeptical of meal replacement shakes, but I blend mine with ice with my stick blender and it turns out like a frappacino and ends up feeling like a treat. I eat it multiple times a week for lunch. Its a bit pricey per shake at $5, but if you really like them you can order the bulk bags and/or wait for sales (frequent).

I have chronic fatigue syndrome (autoimmune), and I’m constantly looking for keto recipes where I could make a bulk batch and freeze it. Having stuff like this put back in the freezer helps enable me to make good, healthy food choices even when I don’t have/don’t want to spend energy to cook. Tacos & sheet pan dinners are amazing for this, but I think these sloppy joes are going to go on that list too.

1 Like

I will checkout Keto Chow always good to be prepared.

I’m occasionally looking for sourdough discard recipes and sometimes struggle in finding one that meets close to the amount of my discard when I refresh. This recipe was close enough to my discard amount that I decided to give it a try. Plus, I have blueberries that are trying to get nearly mushy on me so this worked out well. I didn’t realize that I was out of powdered sugar so tried making my own by blending sugar and cornstarch to make the glaze. If I did this again I’d likely omit glaze entirely and just do a milk brush top or coarse sugar.

Edit:Blueberry lemon scone

5 Likes

Scone? ‌

Gosh I’m dumb :woman_facepalming::rofl:. I should edit my post. Blueberry lemon scone

1 Like

Roast chicken with harissa preserved lemons and garlic.

10 Likes

Haven’t baked since I moved to the US two years ago, but I finally baked a Scandinavian apple cake!

Haven’t tasted it yet (it’s for tomorrow’s D&D game), but it smells as delightful as usual!

8 Likes

Mmm, yum, med vanilj sås?

1 Like

Nej, we usually always ate it plain or with whipped cream in my family! Thank you for the childhood flashback though, as a kid I always loved jello with vanilla sauce!

1 Like

Cool:) If you haven’t been there yet, maybe check out Wooden Spoon, a scandinavian shop in Plano for more old country goodies.

2 Likes

Would thoroughly love recipe, if you’re willing to share… Looks dandy!

Sure thing! Metric tho, 'cause that’s the superior measuring system :wink:

2 dl sugar
2 dl flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
4 tablespoons butter/margarine
1 dl milk
1 egg
2-3 apples

Mix dry ingredients, crumble in the butter, add milk and egg, mix thoroughly till batter is smooth.
Pour batter into pan, peel apples, cut them into slices/wedges and push them into the batter. Sprinkle sugar and cinnamon all over.

Bake for ~45 minutes at 200 C on the lowest shelf in the oven. Tadaaa!

I will say, in our oven it was actually fully baked at 30 minutes, so keep an eye on it, ovens are not created equal!

4 Likes

So true!
Thank you!