What's Cookin? February culinary appreciation thread

I subbed celery leaves for the lovage because I didn’t feel like driving to central market. The asefetida I got at an Indian market by my house.

It’s weird stuff, before it’s cooked it smells nasty, but when it’s cooked the smell disappears and it tastes good.

4 Likes

I need to try this. Very interesting. Thanks for sharing.

2 Likes

It’s so good I was honestly shocked the recipe had been lost to time.

One thing I also did, he mentioned that the recipe had the sauces separate. So I did them as a marinade and a baste, I let the wine mixture soak for a couple hours before pouring on the asefetida mixture and putting it in the oven.

3 Likes

I’m going to go ahead and post some pictures up here, but I just put a post up in science because @Josh_Melnick I asked me to as I was going with this project and when it was finished so that’s where you can find the most details about this.

But seeing that it was food-related, I figured I’d go ahead and post a picture or two here, lol!

7 Likes

Today is my dad’s birthday. Lost him a couple of years ago but always like to make his favorite things on these occasions.

Dan Redmond Memorial Dinner was Julia’s Beef Bourguignon, though done in my pressure cooker because he wasn’t here to scold me.

(I’m on the far left, about 11-12 y.o. and already 2020 Colorado by the looks of it!)

Happy Birthday, Dad!

14 Likes

Whelp, I’m more or less inactive on forums but this is a bandwagon I should jump on :rofl: Everyone’s goodies look and sound awesome!

I got on the bread making bandwagon a bit later because I was struggling in beginning. Now I have healthy sourdough starter and mostly sourdough but have played with some discard recipes. Hoping this year to get down: sweet roll dough (for cinnamon rolls), pan dulce (conchas and bisquete), ficelle and baguette.

This week’s loaf

Made pozole last week (best friend gave some super loose instrux) and another batch this week. Still tuning it to how I want it.

Starting to make simple syrups weekly to go into my espresso drinks

Maple Pear Cinnamon is what I made this week as I never got a bottled pic (yet)

8 Likes

My dad found top sirloins on sale, so i made my engineered-to-induce-coma steak and cream corn combo. You can always tell when the serotonin hits, everybody starts slurring their speech :]

Tomorrow i begin my experiments making noodles entirely out of egg

13 Likes

That corn looks delicious! What’s the recipe? :heart_eyes: I loved creamed corn, but have never made it…yet!

So we decided to do Philly Cheesesteak for dinner. I thought I would try something different. Using Texas Toast, I used it for my bun. It was damn good but I know I’m going to pay for it. It was worth it.

11 Likes

My Kroger sells packages of shaved beef in the fresh meat area of the store. It makes excellent Philly cheesesteaks and Italian beef sandwiches. For the latter I sous vide it with some au jus, garlic and Italian seasoning.

3 Likes

I’ve been slack at using Talk for several months lol, but yay for cooking thread!

Where to begin…

Smoked my first ever brisket (and in an electric smoker to boot), and it turned out amazingly delicious and juicy!

Also, because i’ve never been able to find a good source of british sausages and bacon, i’ve had to make my own. This’ll be my 5th batch or so now of sausages

And here is the bacon. Its still curing, so no finished photos for another few days :smiley:

12 Likes

plantain curry from the 16th century cook book Soopa Shastra.

6 Likes

@Scott_Blevins and I decided to make a “deep dive” into baking for just one year. It’s been better than we hoped for! Since we started in January:

Blueberry Jubilee Cake:

No-Knead Bread:

Ginger Ale Biscuits:

Hoagies:

Now we’re teaching our boys to bake!

6 Likes

Since the New Year, I’ve been transcribing my recipes to Trello, cooking & photographing as I go. Because my son Nick is becoming more confident in the kitchen, we’ve tackled new recipes. The Pork Schnitzel with Spaetzle was a logistical challenge! Completely worth it!

What kicked this off was @sinless and @GTHolkan gifted Nick with a spare EveryPlate meal kit box and I ordered him another. The cards were so easy for him, an inexperienced cook, to follow. No paragraphs of explanation to slog through. Pictures of ingredents. Tool list. Six “step” pictures. And then I found out that my young nieces, nephews, and @Scott_Blevins’s kids were cooking, too. Which got me to thinking,

• how could I rewrite my recipes so they were similar to a meal kit card?
  • And how could I place them on the cloud so they could access them anywhere? (Little did I know this would make my grocery shopping soooo much easier, too.)

9 Likes

We use paprika and share our recipies with family that way.

1 Like

I’ve actually been a similar journey, moving my recipes from a third party service into a more stable platform. I was using Pepperplate for my recipes because I liked their formatting, but then they moved to a subscription only service so I’ve been moving all of my recipes into Google Docs and backing them up into PDF on our servers. I’m trying really hard to remember to add pictures of the food to the doc, and I’m also trying to add pictures of special events where I served that food (birthdays, holidays, etc.) for the memories.

With us just being two people (and my energy being limited, and me being on a keto diet) I try to plan out our meals in advance and plan for only 3-5 meals cooked/week. Two of those five being something like fish that I don’t have to pull out of the freezer to thaw until the last minute just in case I have a bad health day and can’t cook that way I have less things going bad. When I cook I almost always make a double batch so that there are leftovers to cover the rest of the days.

Having the recipes online is SO helpful! Its extremely nice to be at the grocery store and see a sale on XYZ and be able to pull up the recipe on the fly and grab the stuff for it right then and there. Plus I can hang my Ipad on the fridge by its magnetic case and have the recipe right there to follow.

2 Likes

I agree: my wife and I set up a WordPress web site where we record our recipes. Makes it easy to share recipes with others and comes in handy when visiting and cooking at relatives’ over the holidays.

If you want to check it out, the site is Culinary Musings. It’s a bit of an eclectic mix: lots of vegetarian and Dutch oven recipes (and some vegetarian Dutch oven recipes, which are a bit scarce on the Web). http://www.culinarymusings.com

5 Likes

I want to do this!

1 Like

While its been difficult to this week, I typically eat a low carb diet for medical reasons. I came across this recipe for low carb sloppy joes and finally gave it a shot today and it was pretty great! I ate mine with the Sola low carb bread, which I’ve been really happy with.

The only odd/diet thing about the recipe is the zero calorie sweetener used (swerve), but you could easily use sugar if you have an issue with artificial sweeteners. I didn’t actually end up using the full 3 tablespoons of sweetener.

I did add a tad more mustard, worcestershire sauce, and quite a bit more salt to get it closer to that Manwhich style seasoning, which is what I grew up with and think of when I think of sloppy joes.

4 Likes

I actually go for the Loven Fresh Keto Friendly from Aldi. It is very much a wheat bread, but I like wheat bread with some things, so I’m okay with that.

If I need something closer to a white bread, I go with the Sara Lee Delightful 45.

The only ingredient that I saw that had any kind of carb content would have been the tomato paste so I’m imagining that the 5 net carbs are for the entire skillet?