What is the Rotary Status for the laser?

Any update on the rotary attachment?

1 Like

I’m working on the issue. I found a problem with the cabling, but that’s resolved for now.

The issue now is that the y axis isn’t accepting the diameter setting in rdworks. I’ve tried to get back to the old version, but it doesn’t like the new Big Thunder machine. The USB won’t recognize the laser with the old version.

I’m working with Thunder Tech support and we’ll see if they can sort out the issue.

@tomthm is going to be working on getting Lightburn installed and licensed correctly on all the Thunder PCs. I’ve tested Lightburn and it seems to be working fine with the rotary.

5 Likes

Oooooh. Yes please!

1 Like

It will be great to have it back up and running. Thanks to everyone working on it!!

2 Likes

Is Lightburn available on one of the Thunder PC’s now? We are kind of desperate to use the rotary and willing to learn how to use Lightburn to move our project forward. We are grateful at the multiple attempts to get the rotary back up and running by all those involved. Thank You! Fairly new here, just looking for a way forward after joining a couple months ago to use the rotary.

Love the Space and there’s been plenty to do here in the meantime. Any help is appreciated.

1 Like

So just a note for anyone else waiting on the rotary: it seems to work as long as you scale your Y axis in rdworks by about +25%, otherwise it’ll be squished.

This will depend on the diameter of your object.

This was a problem with the old version as well when Andrew and Ali tried it on Blitzen.

Mine was 77 mm for reference. 10% at 500 mm/s marks Painters tape for if someone wants to make a trial run and compare actual to computed and find their percentage. It’ll be a rough estimate unless one takes the arch into account but shouldn’t make too big of a difference I shouldn’t think.

Just an update here.
We successfully began using the Rotary over the past few weeks. We were manipulating the settings in RDworks as mentioned above and getting our desired outcome. The rotary was turning in both directions and working well. Recently we began noticing a short in the connector (or wires) where it plugs into the laser. It would work/not work based on position of the wire like a phone charger cable giving out.

Of course it stopped working soon after we noticed the short. Because we haven’t been able to make it to the laser meetings to get on the laser committee we haven’t attempted fixing it. We have found a replacement connector through Altex locally.

Just an FYI in case anyone plans to use it or attempt a fix.

1 Like

Has this been fixed yet? RD Works or Lightburn?

It needs a new stepper.

I’d be happy to order one and install it but it seems no one from Laser was interested in that thread or the work I did to properly diagnose the issue.

Hoping we can get the new stepper and have the Rotary attachment in working condition… It feels like months since I’ve been waiting to try it out :stuck_out_tongue:

After the last Laser Committee meeting @michaelb confirmed what @mstovenour is saying. Steppers need to be replaced. The last word was that Laser was ordering them. That was a couple weeks ago so unless something has changed these should be on the way.

@sixvolts Can you confirm for all of us that the steppers have been ordered?

There is nothing else any one member can do at this point and is up to Laser to have ordered the parts. My friend and I joined DMS for the lasers and specifically the rotary. That was in February. It’s been partially working or completely inoperable since before we joined. Having these working is overdue. It’s unfortunate the work Michael Stovenour did was overlooked because these would most likely be in operation right now.

1 Like

Still waiting on a parts list to place the order. @michaelb can you send that over?

This has been a complicated issue. We expected that ordering a new rotary a few months back would have solved some problems, but it just made for more questions. I certainly understand your frustration.

Sorry for the delay, ill spec them and send it to you tonight.

1 Like

The part needed is a Leadshine iST57 but I recommend getting it from Thunder. That stepper has a built in driver that is programmable through a serial port. There is no guarantee that Thunder uses a default profile. They might program the stepper before delivery.

We should replace the female din connectors on the rotary attachment. Only one of them is reasonably tight. I think that din connector is not designed for 100s of insertions. Most might not be aware but connectors are rated by insertions. For instance most automotive connecors are only rated for 10-20 insertions because they are not expected to be disconnected often. This din connector seems like it wears out fast. Maybe we could change both sides to a high insertion connector? Say “go” and I’ll pull in the elab crowd to find a suitable replacement connector.

I also have previously reported that the din connectors on the laser beds are loose. I’d be happy to disassemble the connector panel and tighten or repair it. I’ve resisted because I know these systems are expensive and sensitive leading to strict rules around who can repair the lasers.

1 Like

@mstovenour It was decided to replace those as well after the last Laser meeting. I agree with @sixvolts it’s been complex with multiple issues. No doubt Laser has a high amount of maintenance, equipment replacement/repair etc. to deal with. I’m thankful to everyone making it work. Cool to see a member ran organization like DMS to begin with. Looking forward to seeing these working.

1 Like

We’ve gone through 3 motors since we’ve started keeping track. We’re going to try a gecko driver and separate motor. We know the DIN connector has step/dir signals, so we think it’s worth the shot to go with a different setup.

Connector replacements are also planned. Honestly, the connector could be part of what’s killing the motor. Andrew suggested LEMO connectors, I haven’t been able to pick a specific connector, but they have a few options from the S or B lines. If you have any other suggestions, we’re all ears.

1 Like

The LEMO B Series is perfect for this application. Let me know if you need any labor to spec, order, or install them.

3 Likes

Feel free to pick something out. I was looking at the S line since it appeared easier to plug in, but I’ve never used either.

How about FGG.3B.305.CLAD10 for the plug? Mates with a EGG.3B.305.CLL and we can pick up an GMA.3B.090.DG as a strain relief. The looks like both have solder lugs so we don’t need to hunt down a crimp tool.

We could go with two plugs in either end, but at the price I’m tempted to just leave it as one connector pair and we can print some strain relief block to go on the rotary.