What is the Rotary Status for the laser?

It’s a double stack NEMA23 stepper, so we just need to find a driver that has a wide range of microstepping adjustment and can run that motor. 24-48v input, step/for/en signals are all 5v. I don’t know what resolution the controller is expecting, sadly.

Actually, if anyone wants to… Set up the rotary and engrave lines (like a ruler) around a cylinder. We can measure the lines and figure out how far off we are. So if the lines were 1inch apart in the computer and they measure 2inches apart when engraved we’re turning twice as much as we should.

1 Like

Might try the steppers with the driver built into them. We used some for the CNC Lathe build as the drivers we originally had fried.

1 Like

What brand did y’all use? The rotaries originally came with leadshine stepper/driver units and they would fail after just a few months. Buying separate motors and drivers was an attempt to get a more robust solution.

You may be right in having the driver separate, out of the smoke of the internal of the machine. Good drivers are not cheap from what I have seen.

https://www.automationtechnologiesinc.com/products-page/hybrid-servo-system/kl-5056h/

Looks like we might be able to get away with this: https://www.geckodrive.com/g901x-stepper-multiplier.html If we determine the needed resolution (that ‘etch a ruler on a cylinder’ test I described above).

1 Like

Does anyone have a few minutes to do this? The rotaries are under the desk for Donner. Anyone with previous rotary experience is welcome to.

Do you have a design for this or do we need to make one up? Are you looking for a literal ruler or is there a certain spacingm Is there a recommended size cylinder (or medium) for this?

I may be able to get by this afternoon do it.

1 Like

Nothing fancy, just some marks that should be 0.5" apart around the circumference. A cylinder is recommended, but size is fairly arbitrary, anything bigger than 1" should be fine.

I appreciate it

@RFguy were you able to do it? If not, I can try this weekend sometime

I was not able to make it. Things got nuts on my end with the holiday. The soonest I will likely be able to make it up will be monday. If you or someone else can complete the task before then do it… dont wait on me or anyone else.

I recommend instead that you 3D print a cylinder from PLA with lines/grooves in it at various ruler distances (e.g., millimeters, inches, half-inches, radians, and so on) all around the circumference. Then laser-cut on it and see what it lines up best with and calibrate iteratively until you line up with the pre-printed markers. I’d design and print this for you but I don’t have time this weekend and, more importantly, I’m very, very lazy.

1 Like

Hey at least you’re honest!

That sounds like it might be easier. Whichever way people want to do it is fine by me! I was planning on using one of those fabric tape measures that tailors use.

You’d be surprised at how much the thickness of the tape measure can ruin the accuracy of your measurement.

For example a three inch cylinder (76.2mm) has a circumference of 239.39 millimeters. Wrapping a tape measure around it that’s one millimeter thick results in a circumference (77.2mm * pi = 242.53) that’s 3.14mm different, or nearly 1/8th inch (3.175mm) different.

I said surprising, not interesting.

1 Like

The Machine Shop has a steel Pi Tape measure. (Pi as in 3.14). It is a circular tape measure that is very accurate. It is rolled up in a metal container about the size of a can of shoe polish. The last I saw it, it was in the tollbox by the HAAS in one of those drawers. It will measure up to a 7 inch diameter if I remember correctly. The can is in a clear plastic bag with instructions as how to use it. You read the measurement the same way you read a machinist’s micrometer.

2 Likes

I suggest that the measurements be in mm. That is what the values are in RDWorks for diameter of objects.

Whoever cuts it is welcome to use whatever units they want. While the diameter entered in RDWorks needs to be correct, it’s not used for the measurements I’m asking for.

I got a question from a potential member as to whether it was working on the dms facebook page. @michaelb do we know yet?

Still haven’t had time to do that testing, so no, not working yet.

1 Like

Okay new month!!! Who wants to help test the rotary with my rolling pin!!!

1 Like

It should be working (only on blitzen) but if you can come by tomorrow you can do it after maintenance day!

1 Like