What is the Rotary Status for the laser?

Back in time for gift season sounds like a good goal.

What’s left is to check the microstepping, I’m not sure what it should be but its probably wrong, securely mounting the stepper driver and putting strain relief on the cable. I didn’t see the Lemo connectors, but if they’re in then those should probably be put on too.

It wasn’t working on one of the lasers, my guess is the connector at the laser side is broken.

1 Like

I have a rolling pin that could be practiced on :slight_smile:

1 Like

Donner has been unable to work with the rotary a few months after we got it.

@michaelb will we have 2 functioning rotaries?

Thanks for the effort you have put in.

1 Like

We aren’t sure if this is the long term fix we want, so just doing one to start with.

1 Like

Gotta keep the almost year-old thread alive.

The stepper drive I selected doesn’t have adjustable step resolutions, so lesson learned there, but we need to purchase one that does before the rotary runs correctly. The setting on the laser controller for step resolution is factory locked.

5 Likes

Still patiently awaiting…

Believe me scrolling through this thread reminded me. It’d be great to have it up before we completely miss holiday gift season.

3 Likes

It really would be wonderful. People love the effect. It’s an incredibly popular tool. My classes would always be full. Countless people ask me the status every month. My mom even bought a set of tumblers for gifts and asked me to etch them last month.

1 Like

My rolling pin is still waiting too :rofl:

3 Likes

Please! please!

Who is working it? I would like to offer some assistance in getting it repaired.

1 Like

It’s a double stack NEMA23 stepper, so we just need to find a driver that has a wide range of microstepping adjustment and can run that motor. 24-48v input, step/for/en signals are all 5v. I don’t know what resolution the controller is expecting, sadly.

Actually, if anyone wants to… Set up the rotary and engrave lines (like a ruler) around a cylinder. We can measure the lines and figure out how far off we are. So if the lines were 1inch apart in the computer and they measure 2inches apart when engraved we’re turning twice as much as we should.

1 Like

Might try the steppers with the driver built into them. We used some for the CNC Lathe build as the drivers we originally had fried.

1 Like

What brand did y’all use? The rotaries originally came with leadshine stepper/driver units and they would fail after just a few months. Buying separate motors and drivers was an attempt to get a more robust solution.

You may be right in having the driver separate, out of the smoke of the internal of the machine. Good drivers are not cheap from what I have seen.

https://www.automationtechnologiesinc.com/products-page/hybrid-servo-system/kl-5056h/

Looks like we might be able to get away with this: https://www.geckodrive.com/g901x-stepper-multiplier.html If we determine the needed resolution (that ‘etch a ruler on a cylinder’ test I described above).

1 Like

Does anyone have a few minutes to do this? The rotaries are under the desk for Donner. Anyone with previous rotary experience is welcome to.

Do you have a design for this or do we need to make one up? Are you looking for a literal ruler or is there a certain spacingm Is there a recommended size cylinder (or medium) for this?

I may be able to get by this afternoon do it.

1 Like

Nothing fancy, just some marks that should be 0.5" apart around the circumference. A cylinder is recommended, but size is fairly arbitrary, anything bigger than 1" should be fine.

I appreciate it