Weekend Wood Lathe Class?

Who should I talk to about learning the wood lathe? I can take a class Friday, Saturday or Sundays but I haven’t seen any available. I’m a new member, wo please forgive me if there is a better way to get this information. I am taking the basic woodworking 101 tomorrow. Thanks in advance.

Paging @talkers, as he usually does the 101 classes for the lathe.

If he is unable to in the next couple of weeks I can volunteer to do it with his blessing. I have a class at 1pm on Sunday the 10th, and could come in early to do a one on one 101 class (say that 3 times fast).

1 Like

Have you checked the event calendar: https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org ? I see you are new so you may not have realized it existed. For future reference, that should always be your first stop when interested in locating some class.

You can use the filter buttons on left to make it easier to locate what you are looking for, e.g. try the “By Tool” filter, go all the way down to “I” and see where that get you.

Thank you! Are you teaching the razor class? I was thinking about taking it but since I have no experience, will I be left behind (or a nusciance to you?)

1 Like

Thank you! I have checked the calendar however I dont see any classes that would work for my schedule. I can wait until something pops up, I just want sure if weekend lathe classes ever happen.

1 Like

That is indeed me teaching that class, and the class does require prior sign off on the lathe to attend. The wood safety razor class is a beginner class, and I would not consider you to be a hindrance. Working with Acrylics are a tougher deal though, and I would hope for at least a couple of hours of lathe time working with wood prior to jumping into an acrylic. If you are really interested in the wood razor class next Tuesday, I could come up Friday (tomorrow) after work and walk you through the lathe 101 (again if John is okay with me doing so).

1 Like

Thank you for the offer but unfortunately I wont be able to make the class next week. I work in McKinney and I wouldn’t be able to make it in time. Hopefully, I’ll catch your next class as they look very cool.
Please keep me in mind though if you decide to do a weekend lathe class. Your help is very appreciated.

1 Like

I understand about driving around here after 5pm :slight_smile:

I got enough kits to do a total of 3 classes so I will aim for the 3rd one to be on a weekend.

Scuba - I’m going to be adding some weekend classes, starting in 2 weeks…sent you direct message also

Jeff C

1 Like

I usually take most of June off from teaching to spend with my sons and a friend camping and exploring. But schedules have changed and I can add classes later in June.

I am glad to see @jlcourtman will be adding more, and @Lordrook teaching too.

Is there a syllabus, I guess is the word, for this particular class? Or is it all just done from memory?

Nate, good question - I don’t use a syllabus but the last few classes I’ve had a couple of handouts. Like so many of the classes, there is just so much information that it is impossible to absorb it in one go. I always suggest folks go to easywoodtools.com - they make the carbide cutters and have some great videos for beginners.

There are really only a few steps and a million variations: safety, mounting the wood, safety, making sure the tool is sharp, safety, making the cuts, safety… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@Lordrook @talkers Do you know who is doing the Lathe Wand class this Sunday? I signed up for the Lathe basics the day before so I can attend the Wand class but it won’t let me register since I don’t have the prerequisite done.

That would be me teaching the wand class. I tell you what. if the class fills up by the time you are able to register, then go ahead and show up anyway, and I will sell you a wand blank from my own stash (sadly, or awesomely depending on your perspective, I have a stash of wand blanks in exotic woods in my garage), and I will make sure you get to make one. The other alternative is to sign up for the 2nd wand class on July 18th at 7pm.

3 Likes

Awesome! That would be great! Thanks

1 Like

Sadawesomely? No that sounds too much like a dictator. Awesadsome!.. NERD

2 Likes

@Lordrook I’ve competed the Lathe basics class today. :slight_smile: May I join your wand making class tomorrow? Should I bring anything?

1 Like

Just show up, I’ll put you on standby, but if all of the class shows up I will put you on the first lathe that frees up and stick around to help you make a wand. Bring $5 as I will bring you a wood blank out of my personal stash.

1 Like

@Lordrook Enjoyed the class! Loved wand making. What website did you say you get the wood blanks from? Also, what’s the polish we put on it after sanding?

2 Likes

I am so glad you had fun! There are a few places I get my wood spindle blanks and I will link my 2 favorites below. While you are still learning I would highly recommend playing with some of the free wood on the shelves behind the table saws. I would always recommend new turners watch a few videos on youtube on projects you would like to try to get a feel for the process and techniques before you drop any money on some kits and blanks.

My favorite online seller is WoodTurningz. They have a huge variety of blanks and project kits. As an added bonus they tend to be much cheaper than brick and mortar stores. Now that being said there is some good value to also going into a local store (And buying from them as well). that way you get to feel, look at, and pick out your piece of wood; also the folks who work there have years of experience and can give you pointers too. you don’t get to touch the product or talk to a human online. http://www.woodturningz.com/

The other place I go is on ebay a seller called Monitorseller. They have a pretty wide variety of different kinds of hardwood lumbers and their prices for most everything are pretty good.
https://www.ebay.com/usr/monitorseller?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2754

1 Like