Wanted: Powder Coat Oven and Gun Tutorial

OK I think I need to make this an actual class since there doesn’t seem to be enough interest without some structure. I will work on that but for the moment, No actual demos are happening just yet.

5 Likes

I would be very interested in this tutorial/class!

I would be very interested in this class/tutorial.

And me as well.

8 posts were split to a new topic: Testing the new Powder Coat oven

I definitely want to do this! I have some brake calipers that would love to be a cherry red!

I would be interested in learning this process too.

This thread is several years old… But I’m interested in learning how to powder coat. Is there a better thread to follow, or who should I talk to about training? Thank you, Patrick

https://talk.dallasmakerspace.org/t/metal-large-oven-thermal-runaway-20210430/80591

Control system needs a complete rebuild.
There’s also a problem with pwr requirement when all heating elements are running. Disconnecting some of the elements is being considered.
Probably going to be a while.

We do have a small oven though for small parts. Some people have also brought a toaster oven over which is OK as long as it’s run in a place it can safely be (like in the metal shop)

Only the large oven needed training; the gun is available for use as long as you follow some basic rules (you can learn the process via YouTube etc if you’ve never done it before)

• gun has to be cleaned after use (air clean only using an air sprayer)
  • if you use our powder it’s $1.25/Oz
  • you have to spray outside. The powder coating cart is meant to be wheeled out and provide air etc. Best place is on the opposite side of the wall from the welding bay, as the ground rods are there to give the best ground versus grounding through the powder gun. There is also plastic sheet to roll the cart onto to aid in cleanup
2 Likes