Testing the new Powder Coat oven

We just got a new oven, large enough to powder coat a truck bumper. I’ve never done a powder coat but am going to test it this week if I can get enough materials for my bumper.

I’m looking for people to join me in trying this thing out for a variety of projects.

8 Likes

Let me know when you’re trying it out, and I’ll try to come help!

Me too. I’ve got a project part that should ship to me mid-July that’s going to need some powdercoating and I’d be glad to help to get this up and running!

Which leads to the next question: is HF powder good enough for our equipment or should we be looking for something higher quality? (assuming that HF powder is typical HF quality - often good enough but not premium)

@pmulry Summit racing sells a wide variety of powder coating colors.

Yeah, and Eastwood does too. But neither of them are as convenient as HF. :slight_smile:

All help appreciated!

Excellent. Given this oven’s size we also may try and do something similar to fired arts, where if a queue starts to form items with similar requirements can go in. This is currently just an idea, but one on the table.

I don’t know that any powder is lying around, so I would say so. I’ll check the shelf with the gun to see if anything is there but assume you should just as a general good practice. Even if there is some left over assume it could be either of inferior quality, or it’s been sitting a lloooooooooooong time.

Summit is a PITA to get to. I may try for it tomorrow, or if someone is making their way out there may provide the cost of materials for myself and some beer for the convenience.

Cheers,
-Jim

P.S: @Team_Moderators I’m thinking it may be better to split the group trying out the new oven to a new thread.

1 Like

I got some aluminum panels to try, as well. Let us know when you are planning on trying it out.

Well, when I went to install the new electrical box on the PlasmaCAM I also checked for powder.

We have three powders on hand to play with (all the cheap Harbour Freight powder): Matte Black, and Glossy Red and Blue

I made an announcement and did an impromptu session. The overall results were successful, though I need to get some better lighting to ensure the coating goes on evenly. I also trained several people in oven operation, and once I finalize some material will be putting up courses that start either over the weekend or sometime next week!

Pics or it didn’t happen:

and finally, a sample of every colour. The red and blue were not particularly evenly coated, mostly due to people being less experienced with the gun, but the black one was done a bit more thoroughly.

We have an Eastwood gun that works very well, and these are just the harbour freight paints.
Cleanup is super easy. Use an air blower on the hose (set to 25 PSI max) to blow out the gun with air only, no water or cleaner, then Vacuum up any powder that isn’t being salvaged. It’s a completely dry process except the heating inside the oven. We have some folded up cardboard with a filter and box fan to finagle around your piece to manage any stray dust.

Cheers,
-Jim

4 Likes

Im also interested in doing some smaller automotive parts. Please let me know next time you will be running it :-)!

I may run my truck bumper sometime in the next week depending on making a holder.

Cheers,
-Jim

1 Like

Thanks @hon1nbo for getting everything running.

We will get classes up as soon as a couple of things are ready. It’s a fun, simple process. great results even with the cheap powder.

3 Likes

Awesome.

I will reprogram the thermal cutoff later this week for 500f. I don’t remember what I set it too before.

It was set to 250; I temporarily bypassed the relay for the contactor on it, but the controller is still there. Reprogram at your leisure.

-Jim

Thanks for making this happen, @hon1nbo!