Volunteer Teachers

Very true. The Maker way, is to try and better your life, by inventing/hacking something new or unique. Money comes into play (because sometimes an idea sells), but really isn’t the point.

I expect nothing when I volunteer, but Vector receives no funding or stipends so when I teach I pass the honorarium over to that committee.

1 Like

He has a private, paid coaching program now.

Where? and more characters

I’m on his email list after taking classes with him. If you pm me your email address, I’ll see if I can find one to send to you.

Edit: I opted in on his evaluation form. I intentionally asked to be included.

@yashsedai, Lance is using our email data for personal use? Is that PII?

Sounds more like satisfied class members gave him their email. He does marketing, I almost guarantee he asked those interested to sign up.
Let’s not jump to another conclusion and further alienate a member/teacher that was respected by his students.

6 Likes

Should probably listen to your own advice. I had the same thing mentioned to me, from someone who talked with Lance about it. They told me his mailing list was made from the attendance sheets. Not volunteering to sign up.

2 Likes

Pretty sure he asked if you wanted to be contacted about his outside DMS courses.

I know I haven’t received anything from him after taking a couple of his classes, while Astrud is a participant in the outside of DMS discussion group.

1 Like

Only difference is my conclusion doesnt accuse someone of anything without proof.
Talk is wonderful at assuming the worst.

3 Likes

And my full sentence is advising against jumping to conclusions that further alienate a former teacher that this forum already ripped apart and caused DMS to lose a good teacher…

3 Likes

Lance’s class evaluation questionnaire has a place for your email address and asks whether you’d like to be contacted.

2 Likes

^^^ Yes this - I’ve taken several of his classes and it’s very clear on his evaluation form that you indicate that you want to receive emails from him. Completely opt in.

2 Likes

I signed up for it. Deep breath :grinning:

Yes, it was completely opt-in and we signed in on a separate paper (evaluation form with a check box to continue receiving email). As far as I can tell, it’s all CAN-SPAM and GDRP compliant.

I have been in the online marketing space for a long time, and I found Lance’s classes spot on and valuable, so I wanted to continue learning from him outside whatever conflicts occurred.

2 Likes

The evaluation form has a checkbox to indicate that you want to be on his email list. I don’t think he’d want to risk spam complaints to his autoresponder company, and it looks to me like his list is opt-in.

If you don’t know how to make things and need classes to learn, it gives us a chicken and egg thing happening here.

Lance has had a hep C lab class going since sometime last fall. Folks had asked if they wanted to be in it and then you had to pay for it monthly. To some extent he had he told us what he felt like it was worth but he also gave the poor among us a chance to offer what we felt like we could pay. You can’t beat someone who does that. I have not kept up with it like I should however I do not know what I need to do before I even consider opening an Etsy shop and since all the classes are archived I can go back and catch up. Lunch is a great teacher He is not using our email for anyting we gave him that right. I’m sorry if some people are upset I’m sorry I was

I have never quite understood the reasoning of some people at the space that seem to feel like that people who make things with their hands do not deserve to be paid I wage for a living wage for that work but if you learn how to code or go to college and learn it then your you can go charge whatever you want to do some company. Artist create. One of the things I realized when I lost so much in my vision is that I live to create. I will create even when I’m blind. If something happens to my hands I’ll figure out how to create create using my mind alone. I create things because I must. I live in a small house I don’t have room for all my creations I ran out of room for my Creations many years ago especially considering that my dad was a maker and my mother was an artist 812 square feet is just not a lot of room for Stuff. What should I do with what I make? Is it not worse money if it gives people pleasure why should I not get paid for it. Now Ranch knows how to Market that’s one of his scale and that’s a useful skill to me and many others. If it’s not a skill You by you then don’t worry about it.

1 Like

headache intensifies

Correct. Lance was conscientious about what he said and what he requested. I benefitted from a few of his classes. There was a sign in sheet, an option to leave an email address, and a chance to fill out a evaluation form. He never stated or implied that he spoke for or represented DMS as anything other than a member.

1 Like