Vacuum Tubes (free for the taking)

@wanderson Thanks - I’ll be a good steward of these old technology marvels.

@zmetzing, @Shawn_Christian If you have specific tubes that you need just let me know. I’m putting together a collection of tubes for my present and planned future tube equipment restoration projects.

2 Likes

That works for me to. As I said, I would prefer they be used for their intended purpose, but that’s so beyond me that they are just steampunk parts to me.

I have a box of various size tubes as well. I do not know if any are working, or good, but I’d be willing to swap back and forth if you’re able to determine which can be used and are worth saving.

I will happily take any that are bad or weak. We can meet at DMS sometime and go through what we have.

3 Likes

@urbite, I finally got word back from my coworker who repairs old tube amps and he sent me the following list of tubes as ones he commonly uses for his repairs.

12AT7/ECC81 1
12AU7A/ECC82 1
12AX7/ECC83 2
5U4GB/5AS4A 6
5Y3GT 1
6X4 1
6SN7GTB 4

And I personally am just looking for any interesting looking tubes working or not for adding to my shelf of cool things above my workbench in my office at work. Been trying to get my hands on a large radio transmitter tube for a while without much luck. Most that are pulled from service are sent back to be refurbished and put back in service. Those that are not sent back to be refurbished usually are in very poor shape following a lightning strike to the antenna.

If the 12A*7’s are still up for grabs, I wouldn’t mind calling dibs on those.

Would like to claim these:

6AF6G qty 2 <-- “Magic Eye” tube, three left to claim!
6AG6/EL33 qty 1
6CH7/EF183 qty 2
6DS4 qty 1
6EH7/EF183 qty 1
6F6GT qty 2
6JB6A qty 1
6K7 qty 2
6L6 qty 1
6T10 qty 2
6U8 qty 3
6U8A qty 1

12BY7A qty 3
12HG7 qty 5
12HL7 qty 6

Still looking through the older ARRL projects for the common RF and AF tubes, so I might add to the list, but this is reasonable for now. :slight_smile:

Yeah … I’d better stop. :slight_smile:

Excellent resource for vacuum tube experimenters:

https://mysite.du.edu/~etuttle/electron/elect27.htm

Tube radio projects galore:

http://makearadio.com/

1 Like

@Shawn_Christian, @slinkygn Some of those you listed, such as the 5U4 and 5Y3, are commonly used in TVs and may be needed for my restorations. All of the *7 tubes are twin triodes and commonly used in audio amps.

@zmetzing Other than the 6L6, looks like most of your requests are primarily radio tubes.

I’m in the very beginning of combining Walter’s tubes with some others that I’ve recently acquired. I plan to test everything first. Then we can figure how spread the wealth so we all can have the tubes that we need.

For the artiste’s wanting tubes, I expect to have a substantial number of tubes that fail testing. In fact, I already have some from one of my acquisitions. I also have a friend in VRPS (vrps.org) who restores old radios, and he has a number of tubes that are either bad or so low in demand that he wants to get rid of them. After everything is sorted out it seems that having a ‘grab some tubes for your creative use’ day at the space would be apropos.

It’s going to take me a few weeks to test and sort all of the tubes. If anyone has an immediate need PM me.

2 Likes

Even the 6L6 is a radio tube:

http://w5dxs.tripod.com/6L6.htm

Yep, the *L6 is the audio output for almost any piece of equipment designed around octal tubes.

Is that why some old computers used octal numbers?

1 Like

I have a question for those using old tube, I have an OLD Magnavox
console TV that is on my get rid of list (It is a great TV stand, but
I need storage room
It is likely from the late 60s, When I am ready to get rid of it should
I post it on Maker trade? I believe the picture tube went out on it

Did all of these tubes get taken? A friend of mine is looking for some 6L6 and 12AX7s which are on the list for his amplifier he’s building.

Yes they were all claimed

P.S. Those two types are readily available. The wiki has some links to places they could be purchased from.

https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/VacuumTubeResources

He is aware of a number of sources. I’ve been trying to get him into DMS. He’s a great guy an electronics/avionics technician in the US Coast Guard for many years, and a hobbyist. He’s also a great C# programmer and software engineer. He has great soldering skills and diagnostic skills. He would be a huge asset to DMS.

2 Likes

ahhh, good 'ol watt sucking fire bottles

Do you still have any tubes?

Odds are any tubes that are still unclaimed are at the makerspace with either Vector or Electronics.

3 Likes

I have a bunch of vacuum tubes at home, also a bunch of tube testers. Let me know what tubes you need and I’ll give them to you. I will not give away good tubes for someone to make artwork out of them.

hey rich! I am building an octal phono preamplifier and i’m looking for these tubes
(1) 5y3
(1) 6SN7
(2) 6sL7,
any brand/ variations are fine as long as they are good! I will pay $ for those tubes above, I just can’t justify paying for retail at places like tubedepot.com etc. Hope you understand, thanks!