Vacuum Tubes (free for the taking)

@Shawn_Christian, @slinkygn Some of those you listed, such as the 5U4 and 5Y3, are commonly used in TVs and may be needed for my restorations. All of the *7 tubes are twin triodes and commonly used in audio amps.

@zmetzing Other than the 6L6, looks like most of your requests are primarily radio tubes.

I’m in the very beginning of combining Walter’s tubes with some others that I’ve recently acquired. I plan to test everything first. Then we can figure how spread the wealth so we all can have the tubes that we need.

For the artiste’s wanting tubes, I expect to have a substantial number of tubes that fail testing. In fact, I already have some from one of my acquisitions. I also have a friend in VRPS (vrps.org) who restores old radios, and he has a number of tubes that are either bad or so low in demand that he wants to get rid of them. After everything is sorted out it seems that having a ‘grab some tubes for your creative use’ day at the space would be apropos.

It’s going to take me a few weeks to test and sort all of the tubes. If anyone has an immediate need PM me.

2 Likes

Even the 6L6 is a radio tube:

http://w5dxs.tripod.com/6L6.htm

Yep, the *L6 is the audio output for almost any piece of equipment designed around octal tubes.

Is that why some old computers used octal numbers?

1 Like

I have a question for those using old tube, I have an OLD Magnavox
console TV that is on my get rid of list (It is a great TV stand, but
I need storage room
It is likely from the late 60s, When I am ready to get rid of it should
I post it on Maker trade? I believe the picture tube went out on it

Did all of these tubes get taken? A friend of mine is looking for some 6L6 and 12AX7s which are on the list for his amplifier he’s building.

Yes they were all claimed

P.S. Those two types are readily available. The wiki has some links to places they could be purchased from.

https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/VacuumTubeResources

He is aware of a number of sources. I’ve been trying to get him into DMS. He’s a great guy an electronics/avionics technician in the US Coast Guard for many years, and a hobbyist. He’s also a great C# programmer and software engineer. He has great soldering skills and diagnostic skills. He would be a huge asset to DMS.

2 Likes

ahhh, good 'ol watt sucking fire bottles

Do you still have any tubes?

Odds are any tubes that are still unclaimed are at the makerspace with either Vector or Electronics.

3 Likes

I have a bunch of vacuum tubes at home, also a bunch of tube testers. Let me know what tubes you need and I’ll give them to you. I will not give away good tubes for someone to make artwork out of them.

hey rich! I am building an octal phono preamplifier and i’m looking for these tubes
(1) 5y3
(1) 6SN7
(2) 6sL7,
any brand/ variations are fine as long as they are good! I will pay $ for those tubes above, I just can’t justify paying for retail at places like tubedepot.com etc. Hope you understand, thanks!

Thanks for the numbers. I’ll check my stash of tubes tonight.

@artg_dms Do you know if there are any of these around?

Hi rich, any updates? I’m also looking for a decent tube tester if you have one for sale.

I have a 5Y3, 6SN7, and a 6SL7 (only one of these). They all tested good on my TV-7 Military Tube Tester. Let me know where you want them put.

3 Likes

That will do, how do I reach you?

I will put them in a box in the Common Room where all the mail goes. Will put your Talk ID on the box. Enjoy the tubes.

1 Like