Unique items you may run into at work

Looks a lot more warehouse than data center to me.

1 Like

Evaporative coolers? They have to be counting on a lot of outside air turnover for that to continue to work. And to an extent, suggests they consider those assets to have a very limited lifespan.

But I have to admit, I have seen the wire rack shelving and commodity desktops as servers hosted in a cage at a Saavis data center cage. You just had to shake your head about it every time you walked past.

This was actually unused warehouse space at an already existing CoLo / Datacenter. Many other areas were very standard datacenter with rooms and rooms of backup battery and double redundant generators (technically triple redundant as they are not running at capacity) with fuel for something like a month’s runtime on a “1st served” contract with a local supplier that actually keeps their fuel in the ground. TONS of power available and really ridiculous network capability. We were allowed to look through an armored window at one of their rooms that is the primary backup datacenter for the local hospital. Nobody onsite had access to that room, only hospital staff.

The client for this was perfectly happy with this setup tho (they did it all themselves). The vertical photo is actually one half of the setup with a hot aisle between rows. ONLY 4x 8 foot wide ceiling fans to draw hot air out. It was probably an 80 degree day outside, with the cold aisles being about 110 and the hot aisle (we didn’t go in there) being something like 150. They just spooled them down on really hot days. No other cooling was even thought of. “Just good enough” is probably giving this setup too much credit. The entire thing is/was done as cheaply as possible with every possible corner cut. I saw only one guy out there ripping and replacing units. I’m guessing that it was cheaper to just throw the entire unit out than actually try to fix anything.

Basically fits into my mental image of cryptomining setups. If your mining gear can run that hot might as well firewall it as hard as it can sustain before protection kicks in. Difficulty curves are a thing as are steady improvements in mining ASICs leading to a heck of a depreciation curve where downtime might cost as much as premature failure.

Yep bringing this thread back.

Last week some temporary 10” hose let loose. There was 3 of them that did this over a 24 hour period. In my opinion they were improperly crimped.

Then Friday my job, When you dont have a discharge probe to discharge a DC bus. Put a bunch of meters on it. It took some time to go from 330 VDC to less than 10.

2 Likes

did you find out how accurate all your meters were? Good thing there was not some super big caps on that, might take days!

Rather wait a while than do what the rig electricians used to do and just short it… Made me cringe every time. On smaller drives we usually just have a 50ohm 25W resistor with some clip leads on the ends.

Our cabinets have a requirement to be below 50v after 5 minutes, I think it comes from UL or someone similar.

There are 6 or 8 12,000 μF for each bus. 2 buses on this machine, the upper had my 189 & 179 on it. Those took longer to bleed down than the lower with the 2 381’s on them. On a side note, I did ACCIDENTALLY find out on the 381’s if you at least momentarily bump it to ohms scale, it bleeds down faster without any apparent ill effects.

By the way that hose was brand new & inside a data center. Not on the data floor but when it gave, it came within 3 ft of the Oncor switch gear. The contractor advised against using hose in the building, in writing no less. But between the ENGINEER & customer they didn’t have any concerns previously.

1 Like

Ours is that way. However when the 2400ohm 100watt bleed down resistor goes bad, your left with some power to spare. :grin:

1 Like

Ran into some interesting items at work again.
The elevator panel.

Some different style of bearings. I dont know if I’ve ever seen this particular style before. Yep that insulation is probably asbestos.

3 Likes

Well it not too interesting, but its not something I do everyday. Last week I replace a 135 ton compressor. That’s not what it weighs, it is the cooling capacity. It does weigh about 1,300 lbs. We used a 165 ton crane with the Jib to reach it on the roof. It had 2 trucks of counterweights totaling 43.5 tons of counterweight. We had the boom & jib out to about 200 feet. I wanted to film it but could not find my FauxPro in time to do so. The lower two pictures are of my apprentice prepping the new compressor to go in & a further picture to give a scale of the boom in the background.

4 Likes

Wholly moly. Been a couple years since I’ve added anything.

Outdoor Ice Rink going in. Been babysitting it since 8 last night.

13 Likes

This is what it looked like after they shutdown for the night. I had to update some software. For those who may wonder, we are running 8 degree F propylene glycol solution.

6 Likes

Took me a moment to process that I’m not looking at something like a giant tyvek cover but instead the carnage inflicted after a few days’ use on what looks to be a temporary setup.

1 Like

Bust out the Zamboni, stat!

1 Like

They did it manually then used the water hose to spray the rink down for a fresh layer of ice.

2 Likes