Unique items you may run into at work

On an entirely different tack, this felt like logging into a $50 D-Link router, but instead it’s a 4/5-figure carrier-grade Nokia 7750 chassis:

Yes, the username and password are admin.

No, it’s neither a production chassis nor is the management IP publicly-accessible.

2 Likes

If I recall the metal shop is almost exclusively sporting 6500K T12 tubes on magnetic ballasts. The blue color will make them appear dimmer than comparable 5000K tubes and the ballasts are surely on the way out.

Should we upgrade the metal shop to LED, we could remove the soot-magnet troffer diffusers since the tubes have adequate diffusers built in. Suspect that the soot loading on the tubes themselves would be the same with or without the troffer diffusers.

Frozen; woodshop keeps clogging the RTUs is my understanding.

As for the lights, we were waiting for the new LEDs that were procured as part of expansion; I am going to follow up on that this week.

Cheers,
-Jim

1 Like

I can authorize whoever is willing to volunteer to go on the roof to change filters.

2 Likes

Yes. And while these are all different days with different problems, left unattended it ranges from something like this (this is probably after the thaw due to watermarks to be fair):

to this:

to this:

1 Like

Last year sometime:

It’s not pretty behind it either :frowning:

1 Like

Pretty, not really, but the worst I have seen. Not by a long shot.

Myself and Chuck discussed in the past about putting a dirty filter switch & a disable for the cooling.

Looks like it needs a fin combing

I refuse to “like” that Luke, but very impressive :laughing:

Yeah, the borderline OCD in me wants to straighten those fins.

Problem is you only get 1 shot to straighten them. If they get bent again it’s a lost cause, same can be said if they have already been straightened.

1 Like

There are much better filter options than those pleats but I would bet lunch the evaporator coil is loaded up past the point of no return. The metal shop could be much improved with a couple of wall fans to keep the air moving. I would hope that if this were to happen we would know better than to put one over the welding area, Will the metal shop be pretty much where it is after the fabled expansion??

1 Like

The plan as it was published, yes. Some of it will expand out to where lasers are, but the existing “stuff” is largely where it will stay…
Metal shop committee meeting this Saturday (4/6/2019 @ High Noon) if you want to propose something…

And blacksmithing is/was supposed to move to the other side of the wall between metal shop and 102. Which would be a nice improvement for both that group and the plasma users.

1 Like

I will make an effort to be there.

1 Like

Bringing this thread back on topic… Here are a couple of shots of a Bitcoin mining rig that I got to see a while back. They are running 5500 nodes at a large datacenter in Tulsa. Felt an awful lot like a level from a video game. Note: Not sure what coins they were actually mining.

4 Likes

How are they still running. Chinese companies design and make bitocin miners, get cheaper electricity, have cheaper labor and rent, etc.

It’s a VERY good question, one that I wonder about myself. This was about 6 months back, which is kinda forever in the mining game, so who knows whether they’re still operating.

One of the members of our group mused that there are probably other ‘agencies’ that might like to lease time on rigs like this for brute force computational problems, but it was also pointed out that nobody shot at us when let into the room, so it’s unlikely that national secrets are being processed.

1 Like

The tempermanent arrangements in cryptocoin mining operations amuse me. The setups appear to be “just good enough” built around the need for airflow, frequent equipment replacement, and an almost subconscious acknowledgement that they will need to walk away from it with little to no notice someday.

One wonders if it was a situation where there was a finite window of opportunity. Sublease distressed commercial space where the suckers included utilities and all the other factors aligned so they could otherwise exploit the short economic lifespans of their mining rigs.

1 Like

That’s a great term for it. I cringed when I saw the picture and actually had to look back and remind myself that the term “datacenter” was used to describe it.

No way do I put my data in that center.