Unique items you may run into at work

Looks like it needs a fin combing

I refuse to “like” that Luke, but very impressive :laughing:

Yeah, the borderline OCD in me wants to straighten those fins.

Problem is you only get 1 shot to straighten them. If they get bent again it’s a lost cause, same can be said if they have already been straightened.

1 Like

There are much better filter options than those pleats but I would bet lunch the evaporator coil is loaded up past the point of no return. The metal shop could be much improved with a couple of wall fans to keep the air moving. I would hope that if this were to happen we would know better than to put one over the welding area, Will the metal shop be pretty much where it is after the fabled expansion??

1 Like

The plan as it was published, yes. Some of it will expand out to where lasers are, but the existing “stuff” is largely where it will stay…
Metal shop committee meeting this Saturday (4/6/2019 @ High Noon) if you want to propose something…

And blacksmithing is/was supposed to move to the other side of the wall between metal shop and 102. Which would be a nice improvement for both that group and the plasma users.

1 Like

I will make an effort to be there.

1 Like

Bringing this thread back on topic… Here are a couple of shots of a Bitcoin mining rig that I got to see a while back. They are running 5500 nodes at a large datacenter in Tulsa. Felt an awful lot like a level from a video game. Note: Not sure what coins they were actually mining.

4 Likes

How are they still running. Chinese companies design and make bitocin miners, get cheaper electricity, have cheaper labor and rent, etc.

It’s a VERY good question, one that I wonder about myself. This was about 6 months back, which is kinda forever in the mining game, so who knows whether they’re still operating.

One of the members of our group mused that there are probably other ‘agencies’ that might like to lease time on rigs like this for brute force computational problems, but it was also pointed out that nobody shot at us when let into the room, so it’s unlikely that national secrets are being processed.

1 Like

The tempermanent arrangements in cryptocoin mining operations amuse me. The setups appear to be “just good enough” built around the need for airflow, frequent equipment replacement, and an almost subconscious acknowledgement that they will need to walk away from it with little to no notice someday.

One wonders if it was a situation where there was a finite window of opportunity. Sublease distressed commercial space where the suckers included utilities and all the other factors aligned so they could otherwise exploit the short economic lifespans of their mining rigs.

1 Like

That’s a great term for it. I cringed when I saw the picture and actually had to look back and remind myself that the term “datacenter” was used to describe it.

No way do I put my data in that center.

Looks a lot more warehouse than data center to me.

1 Like

Evaporative coolers? They have to be counting on a lot of outside air turnover for that to continue to work. And to an extent, suggests they consider those assets to have a very limited lifespan.

But I have to admit, I have seen the wire rack shelving and commodity desktops as servers hosted in a cage at a Saavis data center cage. You just had to shake your head about it every time you walked past.

This was actually unused warehouse space at an already existing CoLo / Datacenter. Many other areas were very standard datacenter with rooms and rooms of backup battery and double redundant generators (technically triple redundant as they are not running at capacity) with fuel for something like a month’s runtime on a “1st served” contract with a local supplier that actually keeps their fuel in the ground. TONS of power available and really ridiculous network capability. We were allowed to look through an armored window at one of their rooms that is the primary backup datacenter for the local hospital. Nobody onsite had access to that room, only hospital staff.

The client for this was perfectly happy with this setup tho (they did it all themselves). The vertical photo is actually one half of the setup with a hot aisle between rows. ONLY 4x 8 foot wide ceiling fans to draw hot air out. It was probably an 80 degree day outside, with the cold aisles being about 110 and the hot aisle (we didn’t go in there) being something like 150. They just spooled them down on really hot days. No other cooling was even thought of. “Just good enough” is probably giving this setup too much credit. The entire thing is/was done as cheaply as possible with every possible corner cut. I saw only one guy out there ripping and replacing units. I’m guessing that it was cheaper to just throw the entire unit out than actually try to fix anything.

Basically fits into my mental image of cryptomining setups. If your mining gear can run that hot might as well firewall it as hard as it can sustain before protection kicks in. Difficulty curves are a thing as are steady improvements in mining ASICs leading to a heck of a depreciation curve where downtime might cost as much as premature failure.

Yep bringing this thread back.

Last week some temporary 10” hose let loose. There was 3 of them that did this over a 24 hour period. In my opinion they were improperly crimped.

Then Friday my job, When you dont have a discharge probe to discharge a DC bus. Put a bunch of meters on it. It took some time to go from 330 VDC to less than 10.

2 Likes

did you find out how accurate all your meters were? Good thing there was not some super big caps on that, might take days!

Rather wait a while than do what the rig electricians used to do and just short it… Made me cringe every time. On smaller drives we usually just have a 50ohm 25W resistor with some clip leads on the ends.

Our cabinets have a requirement to be below 50v after 5 minutes, I think it comes from UL or someone similar.