Tours, Closures, and YOU!

Keep in mind, the main lobby will be closed for several days while the floors are done in the front lobby & lobby classroom

Yes, but 102 lobby will be open, Right?

104, the old Lobby. Currently where the arcade is now

D’oh, yeah. Meant 104…

The South lobby … which might be more clarifying for non-members who have no idea what our history of lobby naming might be.

We had a sign that we set up when we couldn’t use the North Lobby during the foundation work. I think it was just a hand-made sign on the tall rolling white board that we’ve got – the one that usually sits over by the Supply Closet in the Common Room.

The only reason it shows the north lobby is that I couldn’t get the Calendar to accept an entry without a location selected. We’ll start in the south lobby. I guess I’ll need to be sure there are waiver pads there.

1 Like

Hi, im new to the makerspace community. Are there any age limits for the tour?

Any age person can come on the tour. However, persons under 16 can’t be members or family members.

Strictly speaking: can’t be in the space without close adult supervision.

2 Likes

Thank you much. We look forward to seeing yall tomorrow.

Under 16 cannot have a key. Can they be family members?

There was some discussion about the minimum age for the several committees, but I cannot find it.

Some committees lend themselves well for possible use by members under 16:

• Creative Arts
  • Electronics
  • Digital Media
  • Ceramics?

Under adult supervision of course.

1 Like

Generally, if they’re not allowed in by themselves and they’re not allowed to use tools by themselves, there is no point in them having a fob/ an account.

(In the case of someone under 16 wanting to be able to use a tool that requires training, the parent/guardian who is monitoring them must be the one to take training and make sure they’re doing it correctly with them - and since there are so few tools that under 16-year-olds are really able to use that also requires sign off, it’s not really been an issue)

An account may be handy because some suitable classes require membership even though they do not involve tool training. Also to keep track of prerequisites.

Except that we do not allow under 16-year-olds to have an account/train for permissions currently.

Nothing in the systems, support it, nor do classes support having a child, with a guardian to watch and stuff.

I haven’t been thinking about that. Nowadays, all my classes are members-only, but I say I’ll take people 13 and up. I’m usually willing to negotiate about extra folks in the class, though.

I believe we had allowed that in the past…

Back when I taught more ceramics courses, the parents would show up, and sit near the teaching area. In those days, I wasn’t requiring membership.

Printmaking classes allows students under 16 on a case by case basis, depending upon the teacher’s evaluation.

Some of my jewelry classes I allow under 16 with parent. These are mostly hand tool using classes…
I started making jewelry well before i turned 16, so i am willing to allow other interested youngsters to also learn…

1 Like