Tiny home village being built really close

I’d have to pull mine up again and remember if it’s rowlett or our neighborhood. We have no HOA and I could convert our unused garden shed into a studio, but they draw the line at toilets lol.

The RV thing for us falls under city code since it has to move every 48 hours

Wow, looks like they finally have a Tiny house on the lot today. My wife sent me this pic.

7 Likes

I wonder what kind of social dynamics, a cluster of tiny homes located close to each other create both within the cluster, and the surrounding community.

1 Like

I’m guessing the same as a mobile home park.

1 Like

This is also my perspective from the outside, looking in, and if so, I suspect this will drive the social dynamics at said communities.

Cities don’t like them. Low tax base for the density, very low assessed values. Prefer McMansions with with high value low density, lots of taxes.

Personally doubt they have much density in terms of children which is a big chunk to property tax. Local homes don’t like because they decrease value.

Providing affordable housing is “lip service” sound bite - the reality is they want as much money as they can get.

Affordable housing is great - so long as it’s some other municipality doing so - otherwise it’s NIMBY all the way. As stated, it’s not good for the tax base, not good for property valuation, and broadly perceived not to be good for crime.

1 Like

or in other words; remember basic economics; don’t be so cheap that the other guy can’t even afford to operate and on the other side of that coin don’t be so greedy that the other guy doesn’t even have money to pay.

McMansions with with high value low density, lots of taxes. Doesn’t make sense when no one can afford to buy them and most of them end up stuck in some bank’s asset sheet.

There’s other ways to make up the tax difference and still provide adequate housing for one’s citizens.

2 Likes

Homelessness and slums are so much better.

A lot of younger folks use these for several years to build-up a down payment for more “Acceptable housing”. It’s weird, being a baby boomer kid, whole massive neighborhoods were built of 1,500 to 1,800 sf homes 3-4 bedrooms, 2 car garage. Never felt deprived or crowded. By today’s standard these are all "small homes - they were on 60’ x 125’ lots so they had decent yards. Cities don;t even want these small homes.

But then again. If one is worried about high value places there’s a growing movement to use Yurts as tiny homes instead of those trailerpark-lite homes most get.

this one is valued at $21,707.00 while most Tiny homes is about half that.

Though; I doubt any city is really going to be happy to see a tiny home tent village even if it’s this beautiful:

1 Like

I used to live in San Diego. It rains maybe 14 days the whole year. You’re outside a lot there, especially since the weather is so mild.

My section of the neighborhood seems to be median for the major block - 50’ x 90’ lots, 3/2’s, ~1700ft², attached 2-car garages, decidedly compact back yards. Square footage being taxed at a markedly greater rate than acreage the reduced elbow room isn’t something that cities are complaining about at all; with unstructured outdoor activities being on a broad decline the residents generally aren’t complaining either. Suspect that localities are eyeing the popularity of rowhouses and other condo-like developments in these weird new synthetic dense-urban developments in the burbs with envy - more taxable square footage per acre without the downsides (perceived and real) of renters.

They don’t even really build them that small anymore. I’ve been keeping an general eye on the market because I want a house eventually. I typically have to look at the older houses for that. There are some townhouses with like 1800 sqft but no yard…
Be nice if there were some newer houses with 1500-2000 with 1/4 acre or more yards… I just haven’t seen any.

My house is small by todays standards, a whopping 1300 sqft.

One of my artist friends lives in San Diego and has a tiny tiny little 850sq ft bungalow but largely lives in the yard with her two boys. Very jealous of that type of world. I imagine if I grew up close to a beach in perfect weather I would be a silver haired fit as all get out vixen tan beyond rational standards…but I’m sure in reality I would be working like crazy in hopes to make the ent.

6 Likes

Think about all those folks who live year round in an Airstream trailer at 200 sq ft or less. It really depends upon how much time you spend in it. If all you do is sleep and sometimes cook and maybe watch a little TV 200 sq ft is plenty. If on the other hand you want a completely outfitted studio or workshop where you work at your craft, 200 sq ft is a stretch (unless you park out behind DMS):smiley:

5 Likes

Tip of the cap for the subtle jab at DMS overnighters :wink:

Like re-appraising business property every year, instead of whenever it sells. Strip malls built in the 1980s are still paying taxes based on 1980s appraisals if they haven’t been sold.

2 Likes

Drove by today on my way into the metal shop meeting.

2 Likes

Makes mobile homes look like mcmansions