Tiny home village being built really close

Late night party’s of course. Lol

The project in Lake Dallas is surely for trailers, which are 8½’ wide and 13½’ tall at absolute maximums. Lengths have some variability - 20’ long is common, which grosses 170ft². Larger trailers are available, but much longer than 24’ (204 ft² gross) seems to enter the realm of the gooseneck trailer which is harder to move than typical ball hitch trailer.

Net square footage for 20’ and 24’ tends to be closer to 150ft² and 180ft² respectively. Clever design can stretch this beyond what the same square footage can typically be asked to perform in a conventional house - lofts, flexible space, far smarter arrangement - but it’s still small.

Most trailer-based tiny houses effectively have two rooms:

• Greatroom (living room/kitchen/dining room/office/bedroom)
  • Bathroom

The greatroom can be subdivided to a degree but there’s really no room for typical hollow walls or doors that deaden some of the little sounds and sightlines that make one acutely aware of the presence of other people; odds are other occupants will be no more than 10’ away at any given time.

When you get into some of the larger tiny homes - busses, gooseneck trailers, static buildings - you can start to perform more traditional house subdivisions.

I get the sense that you need to know your neighbors better than in typical homeowner or apartment dweller situations and exercise considerable courtesy. The tiny house communities I’ve seen stuff on / read about do seem to live a more collective lifestyle in the sense that residents of the community spend considerable time outdoors between their houses or in common areas within the community … but a lot of that is from curated material - videos and articles - so the reality is perhaps a bit different.

I’ve lived in what would be classified as a “Tiny Home” only not mobile. When in school in Topeka, I bought a $10,000 600sf Cottage: 1 bedroom, living room, dining room, kitchen, bathroom (all separate rooms, damn small rooms) Was on a 37.5’ wide lot and 51’ feet. (I had the big front yard). House was 20’ x 30’, side yard ended 1" off of porch. It is the pink one in the center. Bought with student loans, lived in it 2 years, rented for a year then sold it, paid off loans. It was actually quite comfortable. Had a floor furnace that had I added a rotisserie would have made a decent BBQ in the living room. Definitely cooked your feet if stepped on.

I guess 600sf is palatial compared to these small trailer houses, oops Tiny Homes. in these are.

There were 6 of these built, two across, three deep. Built in 1923 as six stand alone rental units on one lot but was later subdivided into separate units. Since I lived there in 1980-1982, there are two garages added at the back, was parking for the two center and rear units. See Ariel view

Mine is the top left house, the square on the corner of the roof was bathroom I moved up stairs. The normal lot size for that area was 37.5’ by about 150’ deep.