This is the thread that we talk about DMS Picnic

So this is my estimate for 200 people. Where’s Alan? We should put him on the estimating…he would have a field day with this.

Ok - FYI Dates are 100% up in the air - both parks a- I really don’t have time today to call and make a list of available times for the two parks. Got some adulting to do today.

The rough notes I made when I was talking to him:
McInnish was booked almost all May with one or two spots open he said
May 14 - Mary Heads available
June 4,7,11- McInnish available

I didn’t write down nor ask about every available time.

So - it just depends…

I already see an error- I don’t have water or ice. Ugh

Do we want premade patties? Winco sells a 10# “log o Beef” for very reasonable price. My brothers wedding we bought 20# made a lot of patties & grilled on my single Weber.

1 Like

I bet your beard smelt like delicious cow for a week after haha. On one grill? Seriously?

I know they would taste better/be fresher/be juicer if we made them - I’m just wondering about the commitment level of the cooks. That could all be prepped before the party and brought in. I just figured throw some frozen burgers on the grill and call it a day. But whatever you guys want to do I’m good with. The burgers average about $1 a pop from Sam’s (for just meat). What do you guys think.

The cost kinda snuck up on me quite a bit (how very makerspace right). I underestimated when I ballparked it as you can see.

I also think a better (and something I would feel better about) decision would be to look at borrowing or buying a big gatorade drink dispenser rather bottled water. Just so much plastic wasted.
If we purchased one they could be used often - 24h race, pot lucks, large classes, blacksmithing, any hot day in the workshop etc

Like this: https://www.amazon.com/Gatorade-49031-3-Gallon-Cooler/dp/B00L6LKT58

Or buy a blank one, stick a Dallas Makerspace logo on it and call it “PR’s” (@Adam_Oas)

http://a.co/iGRw7up

edit: Don’t forget cups

I like the Idea. I’m not a purchasing officer, but would approve that as a purchase under PR funds.

2 Likes

That’s a MUCH better price. Amazon skilz

If we think 200 people may show up, it would be a good idea to see if there’s a way to reserve part of the park.

1 Like

Yep. One grill for 60 burgers with only one load of charcoal. Really didn’t take long to cook either. I want to say we got about 38-40 on the first run. The remainder on the second.

Now picturing Tim The Cook: “You like 'm RARE, right?”
:smile:

I’m sure we can get several grills there. I can bring another Weber. Dates still in the air?

I will call and get some dates and make a poll. And if it’s supported and funded we can lock in. I was also hoping to go around tomorrow and take some pictures and post them. If anyone else wants to do anything please just say so. I don’t intend to be a wrecking ball. I just need things to get moving.

I’m sure they wouldn’t care if we brought grills. Could you look at the amount of charcoal am I being crazy? @TBJK I’ve never grilled like that.

Anyone want me to see what I can find preprepared? I’m thinking a fajita setup might be around the same price point. Possibly if we hit mon and pop.

If I had to guess, we would only need maximum of 2 bags of charcoal.

Here’s what I found out -
Called (972) 466-9800 the parks organization
And they said McInnish Park can’t be reserved - which I swear I asked them about before and they gave me dates so I’ll check it again. I don’t really understand why it can’t be reserved. He also said the he didn’t think the pavilion was all that big. I’ll drive around and check it out.

For Mary heads -
May 13 after 1 is free
May 21 after 1 is free
May 27&28 free
June 4 after 6
June 11 free

1 Like

I think a Sunday would be best?

3 Likes

For those into geochaching, there are some at both parks:

https://www.geocaching.com/map/default.aspx?lat=35.1652&lng=-101.8897#?ll=32.95944,-96.94772&z=15

https://www.geocaching.com/map/default.aspx?lat=35.1652&lng=-101.8897#?ll=32.97535,-96.87348&z=17

Edit: I’m sorry, I did not realize you had to have an account to see those. It did not used to be that way.

3 Likes

May 21 will be San Francisco Maker Fair weekend. Any other Sunday!

1 Like

Which is probably a fortunate coincidence. That’s also the final day of the Byron Nelson golf tournament, so there is a very high probability it will rain like hell that day!

7 Likes